Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd January 2018, 16:38   #1
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Question Which Mobile?

I've never been into mobile phones so to say that I'm clueless about them might be a bit of an understatement. However as a result of yet another landline outage which left us with no phone or internet for a while last year I very recently took the plunge and bought a sim-only deal from PlusNet. All I need now is a mobile phone to use it with but which one offers the best value and compatibility with EE 4G which I think is the network used by PlusNet?

The PlusNet deal was a time-limited offer which is what pushed me to buy it. Bought mainly as a backup for calls but it provides for texting and internet too. Plan includes:

1.5GB data
1000 mins
1000 texts
Roam Like at Home in 40 countries

All for £5/mth on a 30 day rolling contract.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2018, 16:54   #2
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyHeckaslike View Post
I've never been into mobile phones so to say that I'm clueless about them might be a bit of an understatement. However as a result of yet another landline outage which left us with no phone or internet for a while last year I very recently took the plunge and bought a sim-only deal from PlusNet. All I need now is a mobile phone to use it with but which one offers the best value and compatibility with EE 4G which I think is the network used by PlusNet?

The PlusNet deal was a time-limited offer which is what pushed me to buy it. Bought mainly as a backup for calls but it provides for texting and internet too. Plan includes:

1.5GB data
1000 mins
1000 texts
Roam Like at Home in 40 countries

All for £5/mth on a 30 day rolling contract.
Thats a good deal, I pay £10.50 for unlimited minutes and texts and 2 Gb data, but I need to be contactable at all times, and be able to call from anywhere should I need to, as I work on my own, so I used Vodafone.
Plenty of phones on the market Steve, there were a couple for sale in the forum “market place” recently
Old 22nd January 2018, 16:57   #3
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=274414
Old 22nd January 2018, 17:07   #4
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

I have that deal myself, but no longer have Plusnet broadband. I use it with iphone and have no problems. Iphones may sound technical but it's easy to get your head around them.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2018, 17:12   #5
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

I love my Samsung S3 Mini but they are getting long in the tooth now. Its neat and compact, don't like a large phone and they take a memory card for music, photos etc. Personally I wouldn't have an Iphone, I no desire to be tied to Apple.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2018, 17:19   #6
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Thumbs up

Hi Richard and thanks for the reply and to those too who replied while I was typing lol. I think that it is a good deal too, it might have been on offer before and it might be again but for now PlusNet have withdrawn it but some different variations on it were being offered by PlusNet when I checked yesterday. The monthly cost is the same on the replacement deals just changes to the usage allowances which might appeal to different customer requirements.

I have had a look on ebay but the choice on offer is a minefield for the mobile-unsavvy like me. My concern is ending up with something that isn't 4G compatible and best for the bands used by EE on its 4G network. I think EE uses three different bands for its 4G: the 800MHz band, the 1800MHz band and the 2600MHz one. It's recommended that the choice of phone can use all three of them so that is ideally what I would like.

Last edited by WillyHeckaslike; 22nd January 2018 at 17:21..
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2018, 17:39   #7
humphshumphs
I really should get out more.......

No longer a Rover Owner

Location: As far east as you can go in the UK and not get wet feet.

I have a contract with EE and have recently changed my phone to a LG K10 (2017), can't fault it.

When I upgraded the contract in November I got a Sony Xperia L1 and had no-end of problems with it (in fact I ended up having 4 of them before changing to the LG!)

Personally wouldn't touch an iPhone (or any apple product) but that's just me. Other people love iPhones

No longer a 75 owner as my tourer made it to the moon, and died on it's way back. But 1/4 million miles ain't bad.
humphshumphs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2018, 19:43   #8
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Quote:
Originally Posted by humphshumphs View Post
I have a contract with EE and have recently changed my phone to a LG K10 (2017), can't fault it.

When I upgraded the contract in November I got a Sony Xperia L1 and had no-end of problems with it (in fact I ended up having 4 of them before changing to the LG!)

Personally wouldn't touch an iPhone (or any apple product) but that's just me. Other people love iPhones
Another vote against Iphone from me, I dont like them at all, the wife has a 5s, the daughter a 7 and the son is getting her old 5c , I have a LGK8; and like it alot, nice large screen, another decent phone,although maybe a bit old now is the HTC Desire 530, which is my old phone, again very easy to use, and decent size screen.
Old 22nd January 2018, 20:13   #9
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Motorola Moto G and E ranges are amongst the best value mobiles on the market. They are hard to beat for quality and features at their respective prices.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2018, 20:20   #10
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

I'm on my second Elephone, does everything the big names do for a fraction of the price
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote