Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th July 2021, 15:54   #1
FantasticMrFish
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Stuck at the Forecourt

Just been to fill her up and one of the guys at the garage noticed the fuel was leaking. Been going a solid 10 mins now and that is the second puddle in the pic as I got pushed to the side of the pumps.

It never rains but it pours 😜

Sent from my M2007J3SG using Tapatalk
FantasticMrFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2021, 16:39   #2
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 club se tourer CDT and a Connoisseur SE Diesel Auto Saloon

Just wondering if it only happened when you filled it up to the brim . Does it stop when the ignition is switched off or is it constant ? May just be an incorrectly fitted pump seal which is an easy fix.
patrolman pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2021, 16:53   #3
FantasticMrFish
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrolman pete View Post
Just wondering if it only happened when you filled it up to the brim . Does it stop when the ignition is switched off or is it constant ? May just be an incorrectly fitted pump seal which is an easy fix.
It was brim full, I'd say must have lost about 5 litres and gauge is still reading full.

I was looking for the source but couldn't see it looked as if it was running down the side of the tank that sits on the passenger side so it's more than possible.

Old 15th July 2021, 17:10   #4
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Has any work been done in the tank recently? Jobs like fitting the orange clip or freeing up a sticking level float? The usual cause of petrol loss in the way you describe typcally results from an incorrectly replaced sealing ring on one of the tank ports. As Peter has indicated, replacing this sealing ring is pretty easy providing certain rules are followed.

You can get the details from this HowTo: https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...ead.php?t=9108

This covers filter replacement, but the port seal fitment is described in detail.

TC
T-Cut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2021, 17:45   #5
FantasticMrFish
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Has any work been done in the tank recently? Jobs like fitting the orange clip or freeing up a sticking level float? The usual cause of petrol loss in the way you describe typcally results from an incorrectly replaced sealing ring on one of the tank ports. As Peter has indicated, replacing this sealing ring is pretty easy providing certain rules are followed.

You can get the details from this HowTo: https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...ead.php?t=9108

This covers filter replacement, but the port seal fitment is described in detail.

TC
Cheers T-Cut. May as well do the filter while I am at it. I know it's not nessisary in petrol but may as well.

No work done to the tank. Closest thing is had the back box replaced a little while back.

Old 15th July 2021, 17:48   #6
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 club se tourer CDT and a Connoisseur SE Diesel Auto Saloon

Lift the rear seat to access the the black cover on whichever side you think is leaking . Undo the 10 mm bolts and remove and you should see if there if fuel on the top of the tank. Using a large screwdriver and hammer , tap the collar anti-clockwise to remove and carefully lift up the pump/ module just enough to remove the seal. The seal has a v shape that pushes into the tank hole then push the pump back down to hold it in place and refit the collar. It happened to my diesel when I’d replaced the sender and hadn’t tightened it enough, so when I brimmed the tank it was pouring out !
patrolman pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2021, 19:00   #7
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

It will be the seal incorrectly fitted at top of the tank above the fuel filter lift up rear seat remove plate on NEARSIDE it will be wet with fuel if you are stuck bring it to me I will sort it while you wait
dave lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2021, 06:06   #8
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

I had a slight leak when full, problem was caused by a crack in the top of the pump. It's plastic and had probably been overtightened. When the seat is up and you're looking at it all will be revealed.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2021, 07:55   #9
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

I had a similar issue a while ago. As with you only leaked when the tank was brimmed.

Turned out that the black rubber seal between the tank and the pump/pipes etc. wasn't even there .

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=288191

Mine was on a diesel - don't know if that makes a difference.

Good luck with getting it sorted.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2021, 08:40   #10
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
Turned out that the black rubber seal between the tank and the pump/pipes etc. wasn't even there. - - - Mine was on a diesel - don't know if that makes a difference.
No difference, the seal fits all models.

The vital thing is to fit the seal the correct way up (see the HowTo for details) around the lip of the port. The filter (or the pump) is than lowered down onto it. It's not possible to do it by fitting the seal around the filter/pump module first. The locking ring should start easily on the port thread by hand. If any downward forcing is needed to start the ring, the seal isn't positioned correctly.

TC
T-Cut is online now   Reply With Quote