Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd December 2021, 08:49   #1
emgee48

MG ZT, MGB, MGYA

Default Seat Repair Advice

Greetings from Australia,

Finding a replacement Drivers seat in Australia is going to be difficult, finding a good one will be almost impossible.
So my questions are :
- is this repairable?
- Is the foam still serviceable and therefore can I just put a replacement cover on the foams?
- Will the cover from the passenger seat fit? I’ve got a much better chance a good condition passengers seat/cover.

I have some experience in rebuilding seats having taken MGTF foams and covers and fitted them to my MGB frames, so if I can do a cover swap I will give it a go.

Finally, if the seat is still serviceable and can be recovered, is there anyone who can source a matching cover and forward it to me ( trim code WSC for a ZT)?

My last option is to put aftermarket seat covers on, but that will be a last resort.

Thanks All,

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6C80CA80-CD29-4AF9-88AA-3E189801A1C4.jpg (14.5 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg AD749DCB-DA11-4D99-9B6A-9768ED0551BA.jpg (14.4 KB, 76 views)
emgee48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2021, 03:51   #2
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Might not be obvious to some which part of the seat is damaged from your pics. It looks like the base to me but not sure if it could be the bolster on the back. Looked on ebay UK and found what might be a match for members to reference to with any advice they might have. Link to a front pair currently for sale on ebay UK. Click

I have read of a member who managed to swap a good passenger seat cover over from a RHD to a damaged driver seat on his LHD. Presumably it would work in reverse if you have a RHD and could obtain a good passenger cover from a LHD. Regards the seat covers from the same HD car I don't know if they are interchangeable, maybe someone else might know.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2021, 07:46   #3
emgee48

MG ZT, MGB, MGYA

The seat in question is the drivers seat RHD, same as UK, the damage is on the base, front right hand side where the bolster joins the main seat.
The seats are Ashgrey leather with Gunsmoke Alcantra. Ideally the same combination is what I am after rather than retriming the whole car. I think the foams may be ok and I can get away with new/secondhand covers, but sourcing them here is the problem.

If I can find a set in the UK then I will need someone to strip them down and just freight the covers.

I will keep watching ebay and see what come up
Old 24th December 2021, 13:34   #4
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Rimmer Bros in the UK are often a source of parts which are difficult to obtain elsewhere and they have an add banner on this very site. But having just looked on Rimmer's site I see that they no longer list the seat covers for the base or the back for the Alcantara seat range. Click

We will have to look elsewhere and while new might be preferable a good used one swapped from a suitable seat could be the best DIY option available. Alternatively a professional upholsterer might be able to do something with your damaged cover, maybe even able to make a new one, but he/she will likely need to see your cover off the seat. I will keep looking for you here in the UK.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2021, 00:48   #5
emgee48

MG ZT, MGB, MGYA

Thanks,
Yes, I saw Rimmer Bros longer do the Alcantara seat covers, something to do with the original seat supplier going bust.
A good secondhand cover is probably the best option, I’ll keep looking but if you come across one pls let me know
Old 26th December 2021, 15:37   #6
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

R 75 Tourer diesel Conny 2002, V6 Conny saloon petrol 2003

I had my driver seat recovered in Alcantara but cost me £300. The Italian material is £100 a metre but fortunately the trimmer had just enough offcut from previous job. The seats are definitely handed.
Old 27th December 2021, 00:27   #7
egremont
Loves to post

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE. Auto. Saloon. SE

Default Local help available.

Greetings emgee48.
I have spoken with Rob who has a number of seats for sale. His price is AUD $300.00 each. He is located approximately 80 kilometres from you in the country. Overseas shipping costs for bulky items are expensive and I suggest you give him a phone call – mobile 0416 058 200.
I am a member of the local Rover Car Club of Australia Inc. – we also have a large holding of spare parts that service many Rover models. Due to taxation requirements, we restrict our sales to our club members or affiliated Australian Interstate Rover clubs.
Incidentally, amongst other information our Handbook lists service referrals (some 28 categories) recommended by members.
Regards,
Egremont.
egremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2021, 21:29   #8
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMoppet View Post
I had my driver seat recovered in Alcantara but cost me £300. The Italian material is £100 a metre but fortunately the trimmer had just enough offcut from previous job. The seats are definitely handed.
That's still a fair bit cheaper than reskinning them in Alpaca!
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote