Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 30th January 2022, 10:26   #1
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Default New toys - useful tools

It's been like a second Christmas this week, with a complete set of components to build a new PC for Windows 11 plus these two car related tools being delivered.

The tools may be useful to others.

Tyre pressure gauge

This gauge was part of an Autoexpress group test few years ago and came no.1. It is CE/TUV approved and has a 2% accuracy. Everything about it feel right and of high quality.

Diagnostic Code Reader

https://www.icarsoft.com/Product/s-3...ft_cr_v30.html

Purchased from https://ljmcardiagnostics.co.uk/prod...stic-tool-2021

Details to follow this evening in a separate thread. Details thread is here https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=317585

Last edited by MSS; 2nd February 2022 at 08:16..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2022, 13:51   #2
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

I find your PC build interesting. I built a high spec i7 PC some 4 years ago and I've just done a performance benchmark which shows it still to be in the top 76 percentile. However, I can't upgrade to Win 11 because my i7 cpu is 1 generation older than is supported and my motherboard only supports TPM 1.2, not 2. My money tree has withered so I either get a lower spec, much lower performance setup or stick to Win 10. If by some miracle I outlive Win 10 support, I'll just go to linux.
polinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2022, 14:55   #3
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

R 75 Tourer diesel Conny 2002, V6 Conny saloon petrol 2003

I also built my own PC more than 10 years ago - and with XP which I still stick with as many of my programs - eg CorelDraw - do not work on Win 10, at least the version I have. I also use a laptop with Win 10 but, much prefer lovable XP. It's quicker as well. Why fill the trousers of Mr Gates et al?
Old 30th January 2022, 15:55   #4
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by polinsteve View Post
I find your PC build interesting. I built a high spec i7 PC some 4 years ago and I've just done a performance benchmark which shows it still to be in the top 76 percentile. However, I can't upgrade to Win 11 because my i7 cpu is 1 generation older than is supported and my motherboard only supports TPM 1.2, not 2. My money tree has withered so I either get a lower spec, much lower performance setup or stick to Win 10. If by some miracle I outlive Win 10 support, I'll just go to linux.
I assume that is a 7th Gen i7. In which case, I would install Win 11 close to 2025 bypassing the processor and TPM checking. By then it will be clear whether Microsoft will disable updates for these modified installations or will treat them the same way as standard installations.

We built a new gamign rig last year, which we tend to do every 3ish years. The build is a Ryzen 5600, RTX3070, 1TB nVME SSD, 2TB HD, 16GB DDR4, EVGA Gold 650W PSU etc. This flies through all the latest games.

The new components are for a general use PC in the office based on i3-10105, 500GB nVME, 2TB HD, 8GB DDR4, Be Quiet Pure Power 11 300W PSW....

The interesting fact about the i3-10105 is that unlike previous generation i3 processors it has 4 physical cores and 8 threads, putting it at the same performance level as an i5-9400. It's great value for an everyday use PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMoppet View Post
I also built my own PC more than 10 years ago - and with XP which I still stick with as many of my programs - eg CorelDraw - do not work on Win 10, at least the version I have. I also use a laptop with Win 10 but, much prefer lovable XP. It's quicker as well. Why fill the trousers of Mr Gates et al?
I still have one PC with Windows Me for my old Starwars Games, another dual-boot with Win XP and Win 7. All of these are for the older games and used offline. I will continue to use Win 10 until late 2024 on the laptops and another office PC at home and then switch over. This new one is just to play with Win 11.

Last edited by MSS; 31st January 2022 at 17:34..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2022, 16:21   #5
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

Does his help anyone?

From Ask Woody

In this column, I'll show you exactly how you can use this new Registry entry to install Win11 on systems lacking TPM 2.0. TPM 2.0 may be provisioned on a motherboard by a discrete chip (a Supermicro 9665V is shown at left), or it may be integrated into the chipset associated with the processor. Win11 officially supports TPM 2.0 functionality built into the 2017 Intel Core 8th-gen microarchitectures and later, the 2018 AMD Zen+ CPU and later, and others.
However, many machines that came to market as recently as two or three years ago contain an earlier TPM 1.2 version. The final revision of TPM 1.2 was released a decade ago and appeared to be a standard that would endure. As recently as June 24, 2021, Microsoft was officially saying TPM 1.2 would be a "hard floor" for installing Win11. The company's announcements at that point stated TPM 2.0 was merely "recommended." But just one day later, MS reversed course, saying it was "required," as described in a CRN article.
IMPORTANT: Before you make any Registry changes or install anything new, it's important that you read to the end of this story for valid reasons why you might not want to install Win11 on hardware that Redmond considers "unsupported."
There’s one Registry key to rule them all
For purposes of this discussion, the following is merely an outline of the Registry tweak. You should first read Microsoft's official explanation, which is in its new "Ways to install Windows 11" support document.
§ Step 1. In Win10, press Win+R, enter tpm.msc, and verify TPM 1.2 is enabled.
§ Step 2. Run Microsoft's PC Health Check app, just so you know your configuration.
§ Step 3. Go to the Windows 11 software download page.
§ Step 4. Under "Download Win11 disk image (ISO)," click and read "Before you begin."
§ Step 5. Below that, click the "Download" button to burn an ISO (to a DVD, for instance).
§ Step 6. Before upgrading to Win11, press Win+R and enter regedit.
§ Step 7. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\MoSetup.
§ Step 8. Right-click the right-hand pane and create a new DWORD (32-bit) Value.
§ Step 9. Name the entry AllowUpgradesWithUnsupportedTPMOrCPU.
§ Step 10. Give the entry a value of 1.
§ Step 11. Close the Registry Editor.
The above steps should allow you to install Win11 over Win10, even if a device has only TPM 1.2 enabled and not TPM 2.0.
As suggested by part of the Registry key itself — TPMOrCPU — the workaround will do more than just keep Win11 from requiring TPM 2.0. (With the trick, the requirement is only TPM 1.2, which is widely installed.) The "unbound" Win11 will also accept several generations of CPUs that didn't make it into Microsoft's Win11 specs.
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2022, 17:38   #6
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

My concern with these hacks is that MS will sneak in an update which will trash the install. Yes, I have the i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz 4.00 GHz which is a good CPU. It does everything I need and I don't think it worthwhile to go from Win 10 to 11. Except for the usual post update woes, it has been very reliable.
Old 30th January 2022, 18:54   #7
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

I still have XP on my computer. 20 years old in March.
Old 30th January 2022, 21:22   #8
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

I recently got the iCarsoft unit when I changed the battery on the jag and found it needed 'coding' before some things would work. It worked really easily even for someone clueless like me, battery reset in a matter of minutes and now everything working again...
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2022, 08:18   #9
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Thanks for the interesting post. As regards the TPM module, I purchased a 2.0 version. Unfortunately my motherboard only supports a TPM 1.2 module. When I install it no problem, however, as soon as it is enabled the PC refuses to boot. When people speak of being green and making things last rather than replacing, perhaps they should remember to tell MS!
Old 31st January 2022, 09:07   #10
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

There isn't big £££££'s in making things last

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote