Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th February 2022, 15:42   #1
robbrooks
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT,160 remap: owner since new in December 2002: Mileage: June22 143,000

Default Speed awareness course

I was driving along the A65 towards Leeds where there are at least 7 speed cameras within about 5 miles. I was flashed just outside Rawdon traffic lights where a 30mph zone becomes a 40 mph zone. The markings on the road are literally placed to within about 50 feet of the 40 sign. I was doing 36 mph!
I've been driving 50 years and have only had 3 points on my licence around 20 years ago. This was a similar event, when I was travelling at 37mph in a 30 zone. I was officially speeding on both accounts, but the camera in Rawdon is not obvious and certainly does not achieve anything but to milk the motorist. I have opted for a speed awareness course, as I don't want points on my licence. However, I consider myself a very careful and courteous driver with a vast experience of driving. It will be interesting to hear why these cameras are positioned in locations that in my opinion are there for no other purpose than a cash cow!

Last edited by robbrooks; 12th February 2022 at 15:46..
robbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2022, 15:52   #2
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbrooks View Post
. It will be interesting to hear why these cameras are positioned in locations that in my opinion are there for no other purpose than a cash cow!
So, you exceeded the speed limits on these two occasions, you say. How do you think the cameras are just cash cows?

Withdraw your support for these imaginary cash cows by obeying the speed limit!
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2022, 16:30   #3
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
............ I was travelling at 37mph in a 30 zone. I was officially speeding on both accounts, but the camera in Rawdon is not obvious and certainly does not achieve anything but to milk the motorist. ...........

So, you were driving at a speed 20% above the limit and expected the camera to be clearly highlighted so that you could slow down just before it flashes?

If a person believes that when caught speeding the camera has not achieved anything i.e. the person has not learnt a lesson, then really I would question whether such a person should be driving at all.

Sorry - no sympathy.
Old 12th February 2022, 16:31   #4
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
I was driving along the A65 towards Leeds where there are at least 7 speed cameras within about 5 miles. I was flashed just outside Rawdon traffic lights where a 30mph zone becomes a 40 mph zone. The markings on the road are literally placed to within about 50 feet of the 40 sign. I was doing 36 mph!
I've been driving 50 years and have only had 3 points on my licence around 20 years ago. This was a similar event, when I was travelling at 37mph in a 30 zone. I was officially speeding on both accounts, but the camera in Rawdon is not obvious and certainly does not achieve anything but to milk the motorist. I have opted for a speed awareness course, as I don't want points on my licence. However, I consider myself a very careful and courteous driver with a vast experience of driving. It will be interesting to hear why these cameras are positioned in locations that in my opinion are there for no other purpose than a cash cow!
oh here we go, another speeder moaning they have been caught. If you dont want to pay the fine, don't commit the crime, simple as that. It is good they only flash at those speeding. Why on earth should the speed camera be obvious?

I'm a little unsure, were you going from a 30 to a 40 or a 40 to a 30?

It is frustrating to do your best to not to exceed the speed limit then accidently exceed it and get caught, you have my sympathy. See I'm not heartless, well, not totally

I queried some years ago about the positioning of a speed camera and was advised, it is because there have been x number of accidents in that area. Can not recall what x was, 5 may be.

Dont want to bring gloom and doom but some insurance companies do ask if you have done a speed awareness course.

The course can give you ideas, so do go with an open mind.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2022, 17:46   #5
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post

Dont want to bring gloom and doom but some insurance companies do ask if you have done a speed awareness course.

The course can give you ideas, so do go with an open mind.

macafee2
As part of my job(a psv driver and instructor), over the years I've been on many driving courses and delivered a great many more. It is amazing what a gentle reminder can achieve and what a group discussion can bring forth. More than once I've had to say "sorry I don't know, I'll get back to you". However, one question still has me flummoxed. On a low bridge warning or prohibition sign, above and below the displayed height is a solid triangle pointing towards the measurement. Why are the triangles sometimes the same size and sometimes one large and one small? Answers on a postcard please.
polinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2022, 18:01   #6
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

If you buy a new car soon it wont break the speed limit without warning you and you having to increase the pressure on the pedal noticably.

I am still not sure why we are having this on our cars when this is an EU new legislation. Maybe in a couple of years when the Police revenue starts declining noticably they will become optional?
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2022, 18:12   #7
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
.........Maybe in a couple of years when the Police revenue starts declining noticably they will become optional?

Fines go to the treasury - there is no 'police revenue' associated with speeding fines.
Old 12th February 2022, 18:36   #8
Bazzateer

I got caught a couple of months ago, speed awareness course later this month. Divide the cost up amongst all the times I've exceeded the limit when driving (probably every time I've driven) and it's fractions of pennies - I've been driving since 1984. Been caught twice, around 2014 doing 35 in a 30 and this time round doing 48 on the motorway in a 40 zone.
Old 12th February 2022, 18:48   #9
rontug
Loves to post

rover 75 Club SE cdt 2001

Default speed aware

Some years ago I attended a awareness course (no brainer) There were a large number of people on the course we were split into groups of maybe five. each group were put in the position of being involved in an accident were a five year old child was killed. one group were the drivers of the car involved, one group was the family of the child, ect As the driver of the car I had to explain to the Childs family why I was speeding ect ect. I can assure you with grandchildren of my own it really hit home. I do not speed at all since. Those people who think speed limits don't apply to them just put yourself in that position
rontug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2022, 19:14   #10
MSS
This is my second home

Similarly, I witnessed an accident in the late 1980s where three young people died instantly. Still remember the blood everywhere on the road. Being a key witness, I appeared at the Coroner's court to give evidence and saw the affected families.

I just don't speed and haven't done so since the early 1990s when I went past a fully marked up police car at 70MPH in a 50 MPH roadworks zone. The police car caught up with me after the roadworks and the officer explained why he spends his time driving around trying to save people from themselves. I think he realised that I had just had one of those slip ups and didn't even threaten to give me a ticket.

I actually really enjoy my driving whilst staying within speed limits.