Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th May 2022, 17:42   #1
aflynn

MG ZT

Default Creaking coming from rear of vehicle.

Hello Folks, I hope this thread finds you well.

Over the last couple of months, Trophy Blue the ZT has been having some trouble with the rear suspension. Upon accelerating, there is a creak coming from the rear of the vehicle, at first I suspected the rear sway bar bushings were worn, though I had a look under the car and I couldn't see any cracks on the bushings. It generally seems to happen when the weight is transferred to the rear, I've noticed it's doing it slightly less often recently since the weathers been warm. I've taken a look on the DMGRS website and I cannot seem to find the original type of rear damper, I have an 04 pre facelift ZT and upon inspection, the dampers appear to be manufactured by Delphi.
aflynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2022, 07:48   #2
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Hello Adam,

I wouldn't indulge in any speculative replacements if I were you. It's interesting that there's been an improvement with the warmer weather.
Can you reproduce the creak by manually flexing the suspension on each side in turn?
Have you checked the handbrake shoes adjustment and that they are releasing fully?
Did you get any rear suspension related advisories at the last MOT test?

Simon
Old 12th May 2022, 11:14   #3
aflynn

MG ZT

It may not be due to the weather generally, it's most probably because I have stopped paying attention to the noise. Though, I did get the creak this morning, three loud creaking/banging from the rear suspension as I pulled away from the traffic lights. As for the handbrake, I'm not entirely sure as it doesn't engage rather well even at the full throw, I did note however that quite a lot of other 75's and ZT's were parked in 1st gear at POL, I take it the handbrakes are quite a common problem I did take a look at the options available on the DMGR website, I did come across some after market units, though these were noted as "comfort" that states these are for the MK2 vehicles.
aflynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2022, 11:27   #4
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aflynn View Post
As for the handbrake, I'm not entirely sure as it doesn't engage rather well even at the full throw ... I take it the handbrakes are quite a common problem ...
Thanks for your reply Adam.

I think I'd start by servicing your handbrake if it hasn't been touched for a long time. Take off the hub and clean out the dust, applying brake grease to the shoes' pivot points. Don't be alarmed by the thin linings, they're made like that. Adjustment is a fiddle but follow the conventional technique so that the shoes can just be heard rubbing when you spin the hub. Now try the handbrake lever again. You should be able to lock the wheels with four clicks. If it's still hopeless you may have a stretched "compensator". There's lots to read about this and Arctic is your man!

I hope this helps.

Simon