Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 4th June 2022, 22:40   #1
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Default cracking tyres

there seems to be a lot of tyres cracking , especially in the tread depths lately reported. i have read a little regarding the chemicals used during the manufacture process which contributes a lot to this problem. the E.U clamped down on the use of certain polluting chemicals during manufacture. i am wondering if these laws were applied to the japanese tyre producers , toyo etc. if they were produced abroad they may still have the good old way of making a lasting tyre ... without cracks appearing after a few years only ..
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2022, 03:04   #2
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
there seems to be a lot of tyres cracking , especially in the tread depths lately reported. i have read a little regarding the chemicals used during the manufacture process which contributes a lot to this problem. the E.U clamped down on the use of certain polluting chemicals during manufacture. i am wondering if these laws were applied to the japanese tyre producers , toyo etc. if they were produced abroad they may still have the good old way of making a lasting tyre ... without cracks appearing after a few years only ..
Precisely. I had to throw away a set of Michelins recently and have heard folks say they've had Avons and some other Euro tires cracking prematurely, as well.

Asian tires don't do it. I just bought a set of Nexen tires to replace the cracked Michelins. They were made in South Korea. There are a few Korean tire makers and all seem to be good. But, be careful because even they do offshore manufacturing - some also made in China and the Czech Republic. Pretty sure the Czech plant will also be following EU rules.

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2022, 03:57   #3
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

I can confirm Avon tires crack. I need to replace all four of mine because they are all cracked, which is so annoying since there is a lot of tread on them. Probably something like 7 to 8 mm.

The car had Hankook when I bought it , and I wore these out. I'll be going back to Hankook tires, which are South Korean.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2022, 10:13   #4
Lagetha
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

My recently purchased 75 came with 4 badly cracked tyres, with seemingly legal tread depth, however the MOT history showed very low mileages for recent years. When I checked the dates on the tyres, 2 (Landsail) were 2009, 1 (Avon) was 2008, and one (unknown) was 2007... Safety first so 4 new tyres (Autogreen SC1) fitted now. I don't do high speeds, or racing line cornering.

The condition of the original tyres was a bargaining chip in negotiating the price I paid for the car from an advertised £950 down to £800, so this largely covered the tyre replacement price of £220.

2000 Rover 75 1.8 Classic SE in Moonstone Green/Black Leather seats and Sandstone Beige Interior (purchased 10 April 2022)
2002 Rover 25 2.0 IL TurboDiesel - gone but not forgotten, you can follow Deric's adventures on YouTube at Boaty's World and Project Nigel. AllegroMan is restoring Deric now. (Owned 25/10/2022-15/05/2023)

Lagetha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2022, 11:05   #5
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

it makes you wonder about paying the extra for premium tyre brands. whats the point if you are at risk with cracking tyres only a few years old ? hope you fare ok with your new tyres , but at £55 a corner , i have my doubts that they will be on there for a good while. ... all the best with that. ....
Old 5th June 2022, 11:07   #6
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

The ten year old Hankooks on the rear of my Sportage had cracks in the treads but that is to be expected!!! Lots of reports of cracked Avons at well below the six year mark. Hard tyres = long miles but cracking may well occur if you don't do the mileage.
Old 5th June 2022, 11:27   #7
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

cannot grumble at 10yrs service ! are they asian made or EU ? seems to me that the clean environment strategy from the EU was not thought through very well for the european market. the limitation of certain chemicals during manufacture has resulted in a boost of tyre production and profits. But were was the advantage to the environment by doubling production quantities and energy usages and polluting even more ? not to mention delivery pollution aspects. no wonder the manufacturers welcomed the move. sounds as good as the petrol v diesel pollution enforced by the E.U a few years back.
Old 5th June 2022, 12:18   #8
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Just a few disconnected thoughts .

Put a set of Nexens on my Tourer in 2014, and they are just starting to show signs (according to my MOT tester, but not necessary to change for another 5k miles he said). Spread my mileage each year between a number of cars so will need to consider what to replace them with if cracking becomes more common - I used to expect 10 yeas at least! Just checked the tyres on my Triumph 2500, which were last replaced in 2005, and no sign of cracking - it is always garaged, so perhaps this makes a difference.
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2022, 16:08   #9
Odd Job
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.0 cdti

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
Just a few disconnected thoughts .

Put a set of Nexens on my Tourer in 2014, and they are just starting to show signs (according to my MOT tester, but not necessary to change for another 5k miles he said). Spread my mileage each year between a number of cars so will need to consider what to replace them with if cracking becomes more common - I used to expect 10 yeas at least! Just checked the tyres on my Triumph 2500, which were last replaced in 2005, and no sign of cracking - it is always garaged, so perhaps this makes a difference.
How do you rate the Nexens?
I don't drive my ZT hard, but I do cruise it at 70mph regularly.
My Avon's will be due for replacing next year I feel, so I'm interested how the Nexens fair in the wet etc please?

### MG STANDS FOR "MY GREMLIN" !!!
Odd Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2022, 18:13   #10
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

I see tyres cracking a lot and in most cases it’s cars that have little use or the tyres are old. Also, in most cases the cracks are only superficial and only an mot issue if cords can be seen.

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote