Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 19th July 2019, 20:00   #1
deltic08
Avid contributor

52 ZT 190 Solar Red. 54 ZT 190 SE Ignition Blue. 54 ZT 190 SE Rio Red. 05 ZT 1.8T Aurora

Default ZTT tailgate release

Firstly I have to apologise for only posting when I am in trouble and need help.

I bought an unloved facelifted V6 ZTT se in August 2018 as a project only because it was in Poseidon flip paint. I assumed there are few of these left although I know Fusilier has one. It had a valid MOT until May 2019, 113,000 on the clock with rusty front wings and sills. It is SORN'd because I had a stroke in early 2018 and still cannot drive on the highway. It is regularly started and moved up and down my drive and battery kept in tip top condition on charge every other weekend.

It has always been slow to release but last time I opened the whole tailgate from the lower handle, the release was a long time, 3-4 seconds, activating after squeezing. The next day it wouldn't activate at all. Now I can only use the glass release to get into the load space.

Is it just a dicky release handle that needs replacing and how do I release the tailgate to get at it or is there a fuse that may have blown? Electrics are not my thing.

Many thanks in anticipation,

Adrian.
deltic08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2019, 07:46   #2
Frogz

Rover 75 Tourer

Not that I have an answer, but I have a similar issue. I have never in the 4 years of having my car, been able to open the glass. The tailgate button used to be slow like yours, but has now stopped working altogether. The release for the glass (the one under the wiper), has only ever also only opened the tailgate, never the glass.

I am thinking mine has been repaired at some point in it's life and wired wrongly. If anyone knows a fix it would be great to know.
Frogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2019, 08:26   #3
raykay
I really should get out more.......

Now Other Manufacturer

There is an 'Emergency' tailgate release in the corner of the warning triangle housing in the tailgate, open the housing and in one corner is a plastic tab attached to a length of cord. Release the tab and pull the cord, it will release the tailgate.
raykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2019, 10:59   #4
smudge.g
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDTi Connie SE

Sounds like a strip down of the lock mechanism is needed. I have been lucky with my Tourer, both buttons open their respective locks quickly and have never failed. My scrapper Tourer cargo window button was hard to get opened but then the car has been sat in a garden for 3 years.
My 75 Tourer CDTi was born Saturday, 21st June 2003 @ 09:50

My 75 was the 18,749th 75 Tourer to run off the production line, out of 27,407
It was the 195th 75 Tourer CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 2,074
and the 1,789th 75 Tourer in Wedgewood Blue Metallic (code: JEL) to be made out of 1,871 Wedgewood Blue Metallic 75 Tourers
smudge.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2019, 17:33   #5
deltic08
Avid contributor

52 ZT 190 Solar Red. 54 ZT 190 SE Ignition Blue. 54 ZT 190 SE Rio Red. 05 ZT 1.8T Aurora

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge.g View Post
Sounds like a strip down of the lock mechanism is needed. I have been lucky with my Tourer, both buttons open their respective locks quickly and have never failed. My scrapper Tourer cargo window button was hard to get opened but then the car has been sat in a garden for 3 years.
So it is more likely to be the locking mechanism than the handle?
Old 20th July 2019, 18:00   #6
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

Unfortunately the release handles seem a little unreliable on the Tourers, The first thing I would check is that the rubber is not obstructing the switch from operating correctly, I have come across that a few times, I have however had to replace quite a few of these as they have failed probably due to a number of factors age and usage etc
Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2019, 21:39   #7
Tenesmus
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Can you not unlock the tailgate by holding down the unlock button on the fob? That's what I'm doing as the switch has failed.
2005 Connoisseur 2.5 auto SE Tourer in BRG with Sandstone Beige and Black piping interior (the 2nd of only 7 Rover 75s produced 5th November 2004, and it’s the 244th of 303 facelift British Racing Green 75 tourers built worldwide). All I've done is add Rover walnut gear knob and handbrake...

2016 Vauxhall Viva SL (Father Jack) "assisted manual" (auto) in purple. Going rusty underneath already...

Tenesmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2019, 08:05   #8
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenesmus View Post
Can you not unlock the tailgate by holding down the unlock button on the fob? That's what I'm doing as the switch has failed.
If it’s a facelift, then yes the OP should be able to do this, if not the release button will be just below the bonnet pull release.
Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2019, 16:43   #9
Tenesmus
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Ah, didn't realise it was facelift only that you could do this with.
2005 Connoisseur 2.5 auto SE Tourer in BRG with Sandstone Beige and Black piping interior (the 2nd of only 7 Rover 75s produced 5th November 2004, and it’s the 244th of 303 facelift British Racing Green 75 tourers built worldwide). All I've done is add Rover walnut gear knob and handbrake...

2016 Vauxhall Viva SL (Father Jack) "assisted manual" (auto) in purple. Going rusty underneath already...

Tenesmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2019, 09:46   #10
deltic08
Avid contributor

Thank you all for your suggestions. Unaware of being able to use the fob to release tailgate.

Tried manually yesterday before trying to dismantle and it worked and worked every time I tried. Now in a quandry!