Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th July 2007, 11:00   #1
Martin D'mello

Default Embarassing Squealing.

Over a year ago I had the brake pads and discs replaced all over. The car was squealing almost straight away. I complained and they put new ones on. Still they squealed. The brakes are fine but they still squeal. I took itback just over a week ago. It did not squeal whilst the car was there. They said they cleaned them and put them back on. Still they squeal I am so embarssed driving my 75.

How can I sort out my problem please?

Thanks.

Martin.
Old 28th July 2007, 11:13   #2
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

There are anti squeal shims present on the breaking systems on these and most other cars with disc brakes, not necessarily very efficient, when fitting new pads the backs should be coated with copper grease which is essential to stop them from squealing.
In my opinion you should take your car to another garage as this one is obviously not listening to either you or your brakes.

This is not a technical point it is standard practice on a simple service item. Threfore I am moving this thread to the general forum.
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2007, 11:36   #3
Martin D'mello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost View Post
There are anti squeal shims present on the braking systems on these and most other cars with disc brakes, not necessarily very efficient, when fitting new pads the backs should be coated with copper grease which is essential to stop them from squealing.
In my opinion you should take your car to another garage as this one is obviously not listening to either you or your brakes.

This is not a technical point it is standard practice on a simple service item. Threfore I am moving this thread to the general forum.
Sorry GG. I did not know where to post. Thank you for your advice and for moving it to the general forum.

Martin.

Last edited by GreyGhost; 28th July 2007 at 11:43..
Old 28th July 2007, 17:04   #4
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin D'mello View Post
Over a year ago I had the brake pads and discs replaced all over. The car was squealing almost straight away. I complained and they put new ones on. Still they squealed. The brakes are fine but they still squeal. I took itback just over a week ago. It did not squeal whilst the car was there. They said they cleaned them and put them back on. Still they squeal I am so embarssed driving my 75.

How can I sort out my problem please?

Thanks.

Martin.
I would suggest that the squeeling may be related to fitting of pattern pads which have no shims fitted unlike the original MGR versions. Try the original MGR ones and you will see what I mean.
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2007, 19:18   #5
Paranoid Carlos
Posted a thing or two

Starlight CDT Conn SE

Original Pads have a sticky pad on the back of the outer pad, so it sticks to the caliper face, I have realised to my cost that without the sticky piece you need to put a good layer of copperslip on all mating surfaces.

My own problem is the spring that locates in the piston, no matter how I adjust it after a few weeks it rattles,

one good thing though, I can remove, grease, adjust spring and refit brake pads in about 3 minutes per side
Old 28th July 2007, 19:58   #6
Matt brighton
Avid contributor

Alfa Romeo 159 !!

Hi Martin

Mine too - squeals like a banshee when braking at walking pace.

I do have the oem pads - and had them off - cleaned everything up and copperslipped absoloutely everything - squealing started again within 2 mins of testing.

Looking at another reply here I noticed that mine didn't have the anti squeal gel pads so I am getting some of the sticky pads to try - my local EBC motor factors sell them.

There is just too much left on the existing pads to chuck them away and buy a new set

Regards

Matt - brighton
Old 28th July 2007, 21:07   #7
Paranoid Carlos
Posted a thing or two

Starlight CDT Conn SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt brighton View Post
Hi Martin

Mine too - squeals like a banshee when braking at walking pace.

I do have the oem pads - and had them off - cleaned everything up and copperslipped absoloutely everything - squealing started again within 2 mins of testing.

Looking at another reply here I noticed that mine didn't have the anti squeal gel pads so I am getting some of the sticky pads to try - my local EBC motor factors sell them.

There is just too much left on the existing pads to chuck them away and buy a new set

Regards

Matt - brighton
A tip I was once told by a old school mechanic, If you suffer from persistant squeeling brakes (It's caused by the lack of asbestos you know) is to once a week slam the brakes on as hard as you can, this cooks the surface and remedys the over sintered surface of the pads.

ie there is a minute air gap caused by the metal in the friction surface.

Hope this makes sense:lol:
Old 28th July 2007, 22:58   #8
Martin D'mello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovel View Post
I would suggest that the squeeling may be related to fitting of pattern pads which have no shims fitted unlike the original MGR versions. Try the original MGR ones and you will see what I mean.
Thank you.

Martin.
Old 28th July 2007, 23:01   #9
Martin D'mello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Carlos View Post
A tip I was once told by a old school mechanic, If you suffer from persistant squeeling brakes (It's caused by the lack of asbestos you know) is to once a week slam the brakes on as hard as you can, this cooks the surface and remedys the over sintered surface of the pads.

ie there is a minute air gap caused by the metal in the friction surface.

Hope this makes sense:lol:
Many Thanks for the info.

Martin.
Old 29th July 2007, 17:01   #10
Dave Goody
This is my second home

15 years of 75s & ZTs now an XTrail

Default Embarrassing Squealing

I had this earlier in the year, It came from the hotel room next to mine in the Czech Republic. I couldnt cure the problem, it seemed to stop after about 2 hours!! :SHOCKED: Dave

When I was a kid I was scared of earwigs because I thought they actually lived in your ears. I was even more terrified of cockroaches!
Dave Goody is offline   Reply With Quote