Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th November 2019, 13:27   #1
thanos.m
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

Default 2.5 v6 exhaust removal

Hi everyone,
My old 75 still has the original Rover exhaust system and I want to fit it to my new one because it has nasty sounding aftermarket one. So far I've removed the front manifold but I'm baffled as to how are you supposed to remove the rear one the car is on axle stands and the front end is missing I thought there would be access underneath the car but I could barely get to one of the nuts additionally the Haynes manual isn't much help either since it shows you how to remove the manifolds with engine out of the car .
Kind Regards,
Thanos
thanos.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2019, 17:22   #2
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

For both exhaust manifolds RAVE says:
  1. Release exhaust pipe from front rubber mountings.
  2. Remove two bolts securing exhaust pipe to front support bracket.
  3. Remove four nuts securing front pipe flanges to exhaust manifolds. Release front pipe from flanges and move aside.

Next it says that the four nuts securing each manifold to its cylinder head can be removed.

Is that any help? Workshop manuals rarely give advice on how to reach inaccessible fasteners. I'm afraid that it's up to you to devise a method which might involve buying an appropriate tool.

Simon
Old 11th November 2019, 17:44   #3
thanos.m
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
  3. Remove four nuts securing front pipe flanges to exhaust manifolds. Release front pipe from flanges and move aside.

Next it says that the four nuts securing each manifold to its cylinder head can be removed.

Is that any help? Workshop manuals rarely give advice on how to reach inaccessible fasteners. I'm afraid that it's up to you to devise a method which might involve buying an appropriate tool.

Simon
I managed to remove it took the rest of the exhaust out first and left the rear manifold at last then I used 2 extensions on my ratchet and flexy bit in the end to get to the bolts and after a lot of wd40 swearing and struggling they came off. for anyone attempting this an impact gun would be very useful also applying some heat.
thanos.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2019, 18:42   #4
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanos.m View Post
... after a lot of wd40 swearing and struggling they came off.
Well done. Exhausts are always a struggle. When reassembling and after cleaning them up, if you smear the nut and bolt threads with Copper Ease (or equivalent), the next time you need to remove them they will release with ease.

Simon
Old 27th November 2019, 14:17   #5
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post

Simon
Why remove the manifolds? Surely the cat section will come off just by undoing the four flange nuts (#3 above). The two nuts holding the front flange are easily accessible but the two on the rear flange aren't. In fact one of them isn't even visible, unless it's just hiding under the heatshield?

Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2019, 15:58   #6
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

I have to confess, My car was up in the air on axle stands and when I undid the cross members and the exhaust fixings the flexi on the exhaust allowed the exhaust to drop and I got mine in about 20 seconds with an angle grinder and a new cutting blade

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2019, 17:55   #7
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
I have to confess, My car was up in the air on axle stands and when I undid the cross members and the exhaust fixings the flexi on the exhaust allowed the exhaust to drop and I got mine in about 20 seconds with an angle grinder and a new cutting blade
The idea behind undoing the 4 flange nuts and lowering the cat & intermediate sections in one piece was to line the new system up alongside the old one - then measure the exact cutting point behind the cat. I don't want to use the angle grinder in situ because I know I'll never get a straight cut - I'm useless with angle grinders.

If I could get the flange nuts off it would be easy. Now it's ****** well raining again.
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote