Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th November 2019, 14:05   #1
ALPACA
Gets stuck in

MG HS EXCLUSIVE DCT

Default Roxy rear ended and written off!

Have owned Roxyfor ten years now, and a couple of years ago my wife took her over after my dad (WUZERK here on the forum)passed away, leaving me his identical 75 Connie SE, Bluebelle.

My Wife loves Roxy and both cars are naturally very sentimental as dad did so much work on them both. Anyway, she was rear ended on the commute home a couple of nights ago, ironically by car containing a work colleague who's girlfriend was driving. I knew Roxy would be written off, and today had confirmation. A grand in valuation less an excess of 300 quid. Parkers say 385 private and 975 dealer, so it seems fair to me.

So once they give us a buy back price, we will try and find a body shop who will do the work. Needs a complete new rear bumper and spraying to HFF green, possibly one or more reversing sensors, the fittings and the rear lower wing pulled out, smoothed and resprayed. I know a new primer'd bumper can be sourced from Rimmer Bros for 285.00, so thats a start.

Always paid top price for insurance, but I still can't help but think it's so unfair, through no fault of my wife's we will now be without her car for a while, and severely out of pocket once we've had the work done. Will have to pay for hire car as it won't come under insurance, nor did the wife get a hire car as the assessors said they could not supply an automatic and wrote the car off on the photographs I sent them. I guess it all comes down to the joys of motoring.. Positives are, my wife wasn't hurt at all, and there's a damn good chance the old girl will be back on the road soon.... .. Roxy that is, not the wife

UPDATE: 25th November 2019

Just to update the story, I have bought Roxy back for Ninety quid and Pat will be refunded the excess when all is done and dusted as she was completely free of blame.

I've approached a company recommended by garage that MOT and service my two 75's, photographs sent and hopefully I will get a yes and a quote soon. Insurance wise my wife has to have the car MOT'd again after work completed to prove it's roadworthiness/safety compliance I guess.

I can't source and fit the parts myself as I'm just not technically good enough with the DIY/repairs, and with welding involved and panel work and respraying, that rules me out of the equation. So as it stands I have 910 quid towards repairs, and hopefully after some inconvenience, Roxy will be back on the road sometime in the near future.

UPDATE JANUARY 2nd 2020

Roxy had to have a new MOT for insurance purposes, and she is now back with us, looking absolutely fabulous. They did a great job at ' Barney Sands', and so 'The beast' (as everyone calls her), lives to fight another day. Excess repaid by insurance company as well.
MG HS EXCLUSIVE DCT - Dynamic Red Tri-Coat with Sardana red Bader leather interior. K&N filter.Weathershields.Mudflaps.Sundshades.Slot mats.Quilted rear seat protector.Latch guards.Fabric & rubber mats.Fabric & rubber Loadliners.Full alloy spare.MG seatbelt covers.Aussie chrome tailgate strip & bumper protector.Autoglymn lifeshine.Indonesian tailgate badge.Chrome steering wheel cover.

Last edited by ALPACA; 2nd January 2020 at 13:12..
ALPACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2019, 14:19   #2
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Sorry to hear. I have an alloy rear bump section (for under the bumper) and some rear sensors if you need them from my previous Mk 2.Mike
Old 25th November 2019, 14:43   #3
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPACA View Post
...she was rear ended on the commute home a couple of nights ago, ironically by car containing a work colleague who's girlfriend was driving. ... A grand in valuation less an excess of 300 quid. Parkers say 385 private and 975 dealer, so it seems fair to me.

Excuse my confusion, rear ended by another driver - how does excess factor in? Or have you made the classic mistake of making a claim from your own insurer instead of the third party responsible?

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2019, 14:52   #4
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
Excuse my confusion, rear ended by another driver - how does excess factor in? Or have you made the classic mistake of making a claim from your own insurer instead of the third party responsible?

Irrespective of going through your insurance company as it is a "no fault" claim and they should recover the £1000 from the 3rd party and your no claims discount should not be affected
another_clean_sheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2019, 15:04   #5
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

All your legitimate costs should be recoverable from the 3rd Party's insurer. That would include car hire costs if your vehicle was essential transport. That would, as said above, include any excess because it's not your insurer that is responsible for indemnity.
Old 25th November 2019, 15:07   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_clean_sheet View Post
Irrespective of going through your insurance company as it is a "no fault" claim and they should recover the £1000 from the 3rd party and your no claims discount should not be affected
if you make a claim your insurance is normally effected. The premium goes up but the no claims may stay the same or be reduced after the claim so next year you have less no claims.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2019, 15:09   #7
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post

I don't quite understand why making a claim to the third party insurance is any difference then making it via your own. In fact one insurance company wont deal with a member of the public, only another insurance company, well that's what that insurance company said

macafee2
Old 25th November 2019, 15:10   #8
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPACA View Post
Have owned Roxyfor ten years now, and a couple of years ago my wife took her over after my dad (WUZERK here on the forum)passed away, leaving me his identical 75 Connie SE, Bluebelle.

My Wife loves Roxy and both cars are naturally very sentimental as dad did so much work on them both. Anyway, she was rear ended on the commute home a couple of nights ago, ironically by car containing a work colleague who's girlfriend was driving. I knew Roxy would be written off, and today had confirmation. A grand in valuation less an excess of 300 quid. Parkers say 385 private and 975 dealer, so it seems fair to me.

So once they give us a buy back price, we will try and find a body shop who will do the work. Needs a complete new rear bumper and spraying to HFF green, possibly one or more reversing sensors, the fittings and the rear lower wing pulled out, smoothed and resprayed. I know a new primer'd bumper can be sourced from Rimmer Bros for 285.00, so thats a start.

Always paid top price for insurance, but I still can't help but think it's so unfair, through no fault of my wife's we will now be without her car for a while, and severely out of pocket once we've had the work done. Will have to pay for hire car as it won't come under insurance, nor did the wife get a hire car as the assessors said they could not supply an automatic and wrote the car off on the photographs I sent them. I guess it all comes down to the joys of motoring.. Positives are, my wife wasn't hurt at all, and there's a damn good chance the old girl will be back on the road soon.... .. Roxy that is, not the wife
sorry to hear of the incident but glad your wife is ok even if a little shaken

macafee2
Old 25th November 2019, 15:14   #9
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
sorry to hear of the incident but glad your wife is ok even if a little shaken

macafee2

I had a no fault claim with LV= last year and they recovered all costs from 3rd party and my premium and no claims discount was unaffected. However it is quite common for the premium to go up as they say you are more likely to make another claim.
another_clean_sheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2019, 15:26   #10
ALPACA
Gets stuck in

MG HS EXCLUSIVE DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
Sorry to hear. I have an alloy rear bump section (for under the bumper) and some rear sensors if you need them from my previous Mk 2.Mike
That's exceptionally kind of you to offer, thank you. We are waiting for the buy back quote and then hopefully we can get moving with repairs. I am to DIY and car repairs what Susan Boyle is to a beauty contest... So I'm hoping to get a body shop to do the work. Ive been recommended one by the comapany who do our MOT's and repairs so fingers crossed.

Again, thanks so much, very kind of you
MG HS EXCLUSIVE DCT - Dynamic Red Tri-Coat with Sardana red Bader leather interior. K&N filter.Weathershields.Mudflaps.Sundshades.Slot mats.Quilted rear seat protector.Latch guards.Fabric & rubber mats.Fabric & rubber Loadliners.Full alloy spare.MG seatbelt covers.Aussie chrome tailgate strip & bumper protector.Autoglymn lifeshine.Indonesian tailgate badge.Chrome steering wheel cover.
ALPACA is offline   Reply With Quote