Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th November 2019, 07:11   #1
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts
Default Any gas fitters?

Our Bali netatec has been a pile of $¥1t since new, we have had Bali out about 6 times in the last 12 months for one fault after another, mainly due to no hot water, or heating. Now the pressure drops to rock bottom, so I top it up to within the requisite parameters, within an hour it reaches too high a pressure, drain a little from the radiator to reduce the pressure, I’m talking a couple of eggcup full, and within 30 minutes it drops too low. Any ideas?
Old 7th November 2019, 09:54   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

You have a leak. As the heating heats the pressure will increase and then drop as it cools. Does the boiler have a pressure release valve, if this has given up (become weak) it could be allowing water to escape to the drain or the outside

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2019, 10:23   #3
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
You have a leak. As the heating heats the pressure will increase and then drop as it cools. Does the boiler have a pressure release valve, if this has given up (become weak) it could be allowing water to escape to the drain or the outside

macafee2

Not strictly true as being a combi boiler it should have an expansion tank. As the water heats up it pushes water in the expansion tank and as it cools it pushes it back into the system. There will be some pressure variation but nothing like if there was no tank.
another_clean_sheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2019, 12:04   #4
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_clean_sheet View Post
Not strictly true as being a combi boiler it should have an expansion tank. As the water heats up it pushes water in the expansion tank and as it cools it pushes it back into the system. There will be some pressure variation but nothing like if there was no tank.
Are you saying there is no pressure release valve? If there is, why would there be one? My combi had one and it went weak and released water, I don't recall if there was an expansion tank in the boiler or not.

macafee2
Old 7th November 2019, 12:37   #5
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

All sealed systems will have an expansion vessel. Generally speaking it will have a diaphragm across the middle of it and one side will be air and the other water. If this fails and it all becomes full of water then when the system water is heated it will have no where to expand to (by compressing the air) this will cause the pressure relief valve to open and when the water cools there is low water in the system.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2019, 15:28   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
All sealed systems will have an expansion vessel. Generally speaking it will have a diaphragm across the middle of it and one side will be air and the other water. If this fails and it all becomes full of water then when the system water is heated it will have no where to expand to (by compressing the air) this will cause the pressure relief valve to open and when the water cools there is low water in the system.
which takes me back to the question has the pressure release valve failed?
There may of course be an independent leak, which could be a joint out of sight ( a nightmare) or at the radiator valves or a bleed screw not sealing

macafee2
Old 7th November 2019, 16:42   #7
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

There will be a pressure relief valve in case the expansion tank is full of water and there is no where for further expansion. This can happen where the diaphragm has split and does not push the water back into the system as the water cools and so you bleed more water into the system thinking you have a water leak when it is all in the expansion tank.

First thing to do is unbolt the expansion tank and shake it to see if there is water in it. If there is then new tank.

If there is not then put a vessel under the pressure valve outlet to see if water is coming out. If there is then pressure valve is faulty - you can see from the gauge at what pressure it is leaking fluid.
If not then you have a leak elsewhere.
Old 7th November 2019, 18:20   #8
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Thanks for the replies everyone, I have a care plan with Baxi and they are coming on the 18th. I was just curious as to what it could be.
Old 7th November 2019, 18:23   #9
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_clean_sheet View Post
There will be a pressure relief valve in case the expansion tank is full of water and there is no where for further expansion. This can happen where the diaphragm has split and does not push the water back into the system as the water cools and so you bleed more water into the system thinking you have a water leak when it is all in the expansion tank.

First thing to do is unbolt the expansion tank and shake it to see if there is water in it. If there is then new tank.

If there is not then put a vessel under the pressure valve outlet to see if water is coming out. If there is then pressure valve is faulty - you can see from the gauge at what pressure it is leaking fluid.
If not then you have a leak elsewhere.
what will happen if you remove the expansion tank? what is to stop water from the system flowing out?

why check the expansion tank before checking where the expansion tank/pressure relief valve flows to?

macafee2
Old 7th November 2019, 18:28   #10
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

I did not say disconnect the expansion tank but just unbolt it as it will have flexible pipes to it and so you will be able to see if it has water in it. You can tell by the weight or feel the water sloshing around.
Pressure relief valve will probably open at 2 to 2.5 bar

Last edited by another_clean_sheet; 7th November 2019 at 18:30..