Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th November 2019, 13:47   #1
KeirL
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Default burning lots of engine oil and clouds of smoke.....

Hi
I went away for a few days in the Rover (2005 2.0 CDT tourer) and got down there (Bristol) all ok (well, without noticing any issues). Whilst there I noticed the old girl was smoking a lot (the car not the wife) and normally it doesn't burn any oil. Additionally there were occasions when massive plumes of smoke would billow out most frequently at low revs - like when parking for example. I replaced the lost oil and kept an eye on the level over the following days - it was getting burned off very quickly and I could see a lot of smoke from the exhaust now I was aware of a problem.
Not wanting to chance the journey back home, I called out the breakdown service and got relayed back home.

I assume this is turbo related but might not be the actual turbo itself as I've been reading the forum on this and it sounds like the first things to try are to replace the PCV filter, the Intercooler O rings and to make sure the EGR valve isn't stuck open..... so this I will do.
I just wanted to place this post to make sure I'm doing the easy things first before assuming I need to replace the turbo. I've a few replacement parts on order (PCV filter and Viton seals plus have removed the EGR for a good soak in gunk overnight.
Does all this sound a suitable start or should I be looking at something else or doing things differently?

kind regards
Jon
KeirL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2019, 14:28   #2
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

Does your engine sound like it's asthmatic on light throttle openings ?
If "Yes" take a look at the top intercooler hose for leaks / holed.
Checks to the n/s/f chassis rail by the headlamp unit rear section and the intercooler elbow joint. If these areas are splattered with oily patches there is clearly a boost leak and the likely cause of smoking.
The PCV vlave blocked will cause similar smoking issues.

Has there been a significant drop in engine willingness / performance ?
Is there any unusual whistling noises from the engine during power delivery ?
Has your car got a tuning box fitted to it, as some engines don't get on very well with them if fuel rail pressures are increased.
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2019, 14:56   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

A relatively sudden smokey exhaust plume combined with radical loss of sump oil suggests to me that the turbocherger is first suspect. I know very lttle about diesels, but enough about turbos to suspect it in this case.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2019, 15:04   #4
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

I agree with T-Cut.

That sudden amount of oil loss and the need to top up the oil indicates a dead turbo.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2019, 15:26   #5
KeirL
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

hi
I wouldn't have said the engine sounds wheezy but I would say things don't feel quite right when pulling itself up a hill. Not a massive drop in performance but perhaps a little reduction that just doesn't quite feel right.
I've checked the Intercooler hoses (both enter on the nearside - right?) and both look clean, however, on the drivers side there is a lot of fresh looking oil around the intercooler and some damage to the intercooler front matrix. I also noticed that the electrical connector that (I think!) connects to the outside temperature sensor was disconnected (didn't look particularly damaged though) and also covered in oil - perhaps something had penetrated here and damaged the intercooler.
Sorry for my naivity but isn't the intercooler for cooling air? why is there oil in there too? or isn't there...?
Is the PCV valve different to the filter - I have a replacement filter on order but should I also be looking for the valve somewhere to check if it's blocked?
The car is entirely standard with no tuning boxes or any other mods.
I did notice a drop in mpg - could this be due to a boost leak causing MAF issues?
I also get the misfire at 2k revs (which does appear to have got worst) again this can be caused by a blocked PCV (so I undertsand) but also probably can be caused by a failing turbo?

T-Cut - In all honesty this probably is due to the turbo seals failing but there are a couple of posts that suggest other issues such as a blocked PCV valve can cause excessive oil pressure that can push past the seals causing this issue. Several owners have had this mis-diagnosed as a failed turbo, changed it but the problem hasn't gone away -
see the following.
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=41389
Old 28th November 2019, 18:17   #6
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirL View Post
T-Cut - In all honesty this probably is due to the turbo seals failing but there are a couple of posts that suggest other issues

Yes indeed Keir . As I say, I don't pretend to know diesels intimately, but with all this stuff happening suddenly, it shouts turbocharger to me. There may well be other unassociated issues as well. I hope it doesn't cost too much to fix. If it is the turbo, there are loads of perfectly good second hand units available at low prices.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 28th November 2019 at 18:21..
Old 28th November 2019, 20:54   #7
KeirL
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

I'd like to make the most of having the front of the car off over this weekend and I ideally want to test the intercooler for leaks due to the presence of oil at the offside end of the intercooler.
Is there a way to test the intercooler for leaks if I removed it from the car - perhaps flushing it out with something? I was also thinking of cleaning out the intercooler hoses - can they also be tested as I hear they can become porous over time.... is this just a visual inspection and what exactly am I look for? I wouldn't say they are oily on the outside but do have a layer of dry grime (in some areas) that rubs off onto your fingers when rubbed quite hard.
There are no oil leaks where the hoses go into the intercooler but is it worth still changing the oil seals anyway or are these best left undisturbed if there is no sign of failure?
Finally - what about the inlet manifold.... with the EGR removed I can see there's a lot of stodge in there - how are these best cleaned?

thanks and sorry for all the questions, but I just want to give the Rover a bit of love and care back at the moment...and have a free weekend coming up.
Old 28th November 2019, 21:06   #8
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Oilyness around the right end intercooler hose is typical of leaking O-rings. These are located on the plastic elbow that joins the hose to the intercooler socket. They are easily replaced, preferably with the Viton type which don't swell like the originals. They're available from forum traders and eBay.

I doubt you can test the integrity of the hoses. If they feel soft/flabby you can replace them with the silicone version, which are also sold as per the Viton rings.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 28th November 2019 at 21:08..
Old 28th November 2019, 21:24   #9
KeirL
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanks - so there is no oilyness around the nearside of the intercooler (passenger side) where the hoses are connected - this side is clear and dry. The oilyness is at the other end.
So should I leave the seals undisturbed as they don't have appeared to have failed. I do have a set of Viton seals which I could fit as a matter of routine but is it worth it?

Any thoughts on if\how I should clean the inside of the inlet manifold?
Old 29th November 2019, 00:48   #10
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirL View Post
Thanks - so there is no oilyness around the nearside of the intercooler (passenger side) where the hoses are connected - this side is clear and dry. The oilyness is at the other end.
So should I leave the seals undisturbed as they don't have appeared to have failed. I do have a set of Viton seals which I could fit as a matter of routine but is it worth it?

Any thoughts on if\how I should clean the inside of the inlet manifold?
Hi Keir.
if you are going to remove the bumper the weekend then change the O rings to the Viton ones, at the same time you can remove the intercooler if you so wish and cleaning it, wash it through with some petrol, or washing powder if you like, if the later then make sure it's removed and dried out, petrol evaporates

To clean the manifold first remove the MAP sensor on the side, wipe that clean with a rag with some carb cleaner sprayed onto it, remove all the rubber red seals these can be re-used, use some oven cleaner in the manifold let it soak for at least a couple of hours.

Then jet wash it out, repeat if you have too, clean the EGR out with some Swarfega and an old tooth brush after removing the large deposits, once you have clean them and all are dry re-fit to the car.

Don't forget to change that PCV filter, a new air filter will help also.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote