Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 3rd December 2019, 08:38   #1
Roker
Regular poster

2001 Connoisseur

Default Cambelt change time

Going to bite the bullet and do a set of overdue cambelts. I am in Australia , so Fleabay will have to suffice for me getting the necessary parts. Had a quick look and there are some mind boggling range of prices and, perhaps, quality as a result. Can someone guide me as to what are the best ( not necessarily cheapest) options for decent parts. I guess, whilst it is in bits that the thermostat piping should also be changed and perhaps even the water pump(?). I see a genuine MGR kit that includes all of these for around £250 plus £40 or so postage to our fair shores. Link as below.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ULTIMATE...IAAOSwbRFayyd~

All hoses look original,so is it worth doing those too for peace of mind?

Any trusted traders that inhabit these forums can supply? Would rather give my business to individuals that contribute to the knowledge here than to a random that couldnt give a stuff once the goods have been sold.

The old girl turned 18 a few weeks ago and only has 67,000km on her and just want to ensure that she doesn't let me down. Using crappy parts will interfere with that strategy.

Thanks guys.
Roker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2019, 08:46   #2
Lord of Hog
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2.5 V6 in Wedgwood Blue

£250 doesn't sound bad for a decent complete set, and you're right in thinking you won't get a better opportunity to change the water pump. Unless you think there's something wrong with the thermostat and associated bits I'd leave well alone. They don't like being disturbed.

Conformity is not morality.
Consensus is not truth.
Lord of Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2019, 09:18   #3
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Hello Alan,

The E-Bay seller to whom you've linked is an authorised X-Part dealer of unblemished reputation so you couldn't do better. It's good to see that the front timing belt tensioner pulley and idler are included. From my experience you'd be unwise not to fit these.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roker View Post
I guess, whilst it is in bits that the thermostat piping should also be changed and perhaps even the water pump(?).
The thermostat and piping does not need to be disturbed for the timing belt job and as Lord of Hog says, if they're not leaking leave well alone.
In my view the same goes for the water pump. There have been cases of replacement pumps giving trouble when there was nothing wrong with the original.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roker View Post
All hoses look original,so is it worth doing those too for peace of mind?
No. I've never had to renew a single hose on my twenty year old 75 which has covered over double the mileage that yours has.

If you do decide, against the advice so far, to renew the thermostat housing and pipes, check with the supplier that the two plastic clips are included with the straight pipe. These must be fitted and moved outwards after assembly to ensure rigidity. You can't safely re-use those already fitted to your engine. But I recommend that you limit the work to the timing belts as you'll have quite enough on your plate with those. Do you have the special service tools?

Simon
Old 3rd December 2019, 09:41   #4
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Morning you old Mackem get,hope all is well with you

Contrary to the advice not to replace the water pump, it is folly not to do so once you have it pulled down.

It's not as complex as a Doxford J, but there is a lot to take apart to get to it, and don't change the thermostat, unless there is evidence of jacket water in the vee, as the new Chinese ones are absolute junk.

If you do need to replace the straight pipe, the Herbie clips that secure the straight pipe it are completely reusable, and any advice to the contrary is incorrect

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2019, 11:32   #5
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

I agree with Marinabrian replace water pump and thermostat kit along with new tensioner and new auxiliary belt.

There’s lots of topics on here showing how it’s done complete with photos.
Good luck, it’s not that difficult but best to take your time

Last edited by Jim Jamieson; 3rd December 2019 at 11:35.. Reason: Add text
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2019, 12:30   #6
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Matt (DMGRS), a trader on this site, supplies the parts mentioned. I recently received a mailshot from him via email and I might be mistaken but I thought I saw some of the parts mentioned on a special offer. Might be worth giving his shop/site a view or maybe even contact him with your requirements to see what he can do for you.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2019, 18:41   #7
vacuman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

I bought the DMGRS 'group buy' offer with the water pump for my V6 and it was under £140 inc UK delivery.

That was in September so might have missed it but you can always ask
vacuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2019, 20:35   #8
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon

Not sure what opinions others have, or what the delivery charge would be but I've purchased a Gates cam belt kit from this company. https://www.autodoc.co.uk/gates/785477

I believe the company that made the genuine water pumps is BGA. A lot of the aftermarket water pumps have a standard o ring seal rather than a properly formed seal. Not sure that it makes them bad necessarily but I prefer to stick with the original design wherever possible unless it is fundamentally flawed.
Typhoon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2019, 01:58   #9
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Don't forget to order new bolts for the cam pulleys, and it's not a bad idea to lay on a set of cam seals. They are not expensive and it would be annoying to find a leaking seal and have to wait for a couple of weeks to have some delivered.
I am in Canada so have similar delivery times to yours. Quite often I find it cheaper to bring in small parts I may or may not need along with an order rather than have to pay our friends at UPS to get them here quickly when I find I am short.

Last edited by Rich in Vancouver; 4th December 2019 at 02:28..
Rich in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2019, 10:40   #10
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Just had a look on the DMGRS site and see a cambelt kit with water pump included currently listed at £139.99. Cick And the thermostat kit is listed at £39.99. Click There are options for bits and bobs with the thermostat kit and the cam seals if required can be selected as an option with the belt kit for a further £3.49.

Postage not included in those prices but Matt does do international shipping. Best to contact him for details and to see what if any deal he can do for you. His contact info and preferences for it are given on his site. Click
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote