Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th December 2019, 09:14   #1
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts
Default Too old to drive?

I know that it's a sticky point but I was nearly taken out by an elderly lady driver on the wrong side of the road yesterday. The windows were completely steamed up and if I hadn't stopped and flashed my headlights, she would have hit my car. She missed by about two inches!!! We had a "conversation" and she had no idea how to clear the inside of the car windows. I adjusted the controls for her and she immediately started twirling the dials again! I feel bad but reported her driving to the police. I had my one year old grandson in the car and she could have done us a lot of damage. My kids have been told to take the keys off me when they need to!
Old 12th December 2019, 09:51   #2
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

My late father in law called it a day at the age of 90. Kept reversing out of his drive and into either the side of a Mercedes or into the garden wall opposite. The insurance company suggested it might be an idea to give up.

233,431. That’s our second meet done, no.3 next weekend.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2019, 10:31   #3
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Don’t feel bad Mike, you’ve done the right thing, imagine how bad you would feel if she wipes out a family due to her driving.
Old 12th December 2019, 10:44   #4
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Don’t feel bad Mike, you’ve done the right thing, imagine how bad you would feel if she wipes out a family due to her driving.
I have the video from my webcam but do not want to post it online. I've watched it again this morning. If I hadn't been driving steady (Captain slow reborn!) she would have just driven into us. As it was, I kept flashing my lights and she didn't stop, just gently steered past the front end of my car, oblivious!
Old 12th December 2019, 11:49   #5
RoverP480
Gets stuck in

None at the moment

Might I add that age is not really the issue but competence to drive. Competence can be affected by many medical issues be one young or old , although many are more likely to appear in the elderly . I would treat it like any other incident , don't let the age influence you reporting to police.
RoverP480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2019, 11:58   #6
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverP480 View Post
Might I add that age is not really the issue but competence to drive. Competence can be affected by many medical issues be one young or old , although many are more likely to appear in the elderly . I would treat it like any other incident , don't let the age influence you reporting to police.
Agreed. Competence is the most important.
Old 12th December 2019, 15:47   #7
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
I forgot to say that this was near you whilst at my son's. Keep an eye out for the lady in the little Chevrolet near the industrial estate !
Old 12th December 2019, 16:36   #8
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

Sadly, an 84 yr old lady driver hit and killed a pedestrian (another lady of the same age) in a church car park in town a few days ago.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2019, 18:18   #9
roverbarmy
This is my second home

I often wait for my good lady, whilst she does shopping etc., in car parks and see drivers who never turn their heads when reversing out of bays. They are, more often than not, elderly. I am almost 70 but will give up my car when the time comes. My elderly father had several "scrapes" before he had a major stroke, which stopped him driving. It didn't stop him trying to get to the car keys! On investigation, we were told that he had suffered several minor strokes prior to the main stroke. The doctor told us that various areas of his brain and body would have been affected by these "mini" strokes, which could appear as minor headaches or falls and / or dizzy spells, visual disturbances etc., of which he had several prior to the problem becoming very obvious.
Old 12th December 2019, 20:23   #10
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
I know that it's a sticky point but I was nearly taken out by an elderly lady driver on the wrong side of the road yesterday. The windows were completely steamed up and if I hadn't stopped and flashed my headlights, she would have hit my car. She missed by about two inches!!! We had a "conversation" and she had no idea how to clear the inside of the car windows. I adjusted the controls for her and she immediately started twirling the dials again! I feel bad but reported her driving to the police. I had my one year old grandson in the car and she could have done us a lot of damage. My kids have been told to take the keys off me when they need to!
what do the statistics say about accidents and age?
A bad driver is a bad driver, the woman should not be banned due to age but if necessary due to incompetence.

post the dash cam footage on you tube, others do

you can report to DVLA but do not expect them to do much, in fact, I'd say reporting to DVLA is as useful as an ashtray on a motorcycle

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote