Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 17th October 2018, 14:48   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default lots of RTC'S with no MOT

just trying to find what % of RTC's, Road Traffic Collisions involve vehicles that do not have an MOT. Could not find the information but came across lots of posts here and there where people have been involved in an RTC and either they or the other car do not have an mot.

With ANPR this should not be happening, after all, in Police Interceptors people are stopped for no MOT and surly they are not just doing it for the cameras.

more then 6 years ago my wife forgot to have her car moted and never got stopped.

What should the penalty be? Should penalty be based on the next mot result, if it passes, no action, fails on minor, small fine, fails on major, big fine? Should the mot because its being done on a car stopped by the police for no mot, be done by independent garage or done by VOSA ?

If no MOT (except for driving to and from an mot testing station) make insurance void except for 3rd party, so if you crash your car, insurance does not pay you.

with winter coming, easy to set up police check areas and stop people with faulty lights and see where that leads.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2018, 15:06   #2
Nick Greg
Posted a thing or two

Honda Insight Hybrid

I believe there are already penalties in place but it doesn't seem you get points? Someone will know better than I do I expect
Nick Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2018, 15:53   #3
P-Nut
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190+

Hard to find the figures, but the cause of accidents because of a faulty car are very low
Old 17th October 2018, 16:23   #4
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
just trying to find what % of RTC's, Road Traffic Collisions involve vehicles that do not have an MOT. Could not find the information but came across lots of posts here and there where people have been involved in an RTC and either they or the other car do not have an mot.

With ANPR this should not be happening, after all, in Police Interceptors people are stopped for no MOT and surly they are not just doing it for the cameras.

more then 6 years ago my wife forgot to have her car moted and never got stopped.

What should the penalty be? Should penalty be based on the next mot result, if it passes, no action, fails on minor, small fine, fails on major, big fine? Should the mot because its being done on a car stopped by the police for no mot, be done by independent garage or done by VOSA ?

If no MOT (except for driving to and from an mot testing station) make insurance void except for 3rd party, so if you crash your car, insurance does not pay you.

with winter coming, easy to set up police check areas and stop people with faulty lights and see where that leads.

macafee2

Your wife should have been arrested, spent a night in a cell and had the car crushed - starting from your position there is no other option, implying she was 'lucky' is no excuse. I am obviously joking and I wouldn't wish anything like that - as it's probably your fault

Oh and I would imagine very few, most cars on those programs have been stolen and will have a current MOT.
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2018, 16:43   #5
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

not suggesting reason for RTC is a fault.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2018, 16:52   #6
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

A couple of years ago I forgot to get my car MOT'd. No lame excuse's I just forgot. I think having a tax disc in the window helped as they were usually in sync. The only reason I found out was I was due to go abroad and put my docs in a wallet and just happened to notice the date it expired was 4 months previously. I booked it in for an MOT the next day and it passed with just one advise.

You can now get an Email telling you your MOT is due to run it a month before so I have signed up for that.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2018, 17:19   #7
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

Are drivers getting away with this sort of thing because ANPR can't be 'everywhere' and the police have other more pressing duties? Maybe there's an opening for a job here, I wouldn't mind driving around all day with the sole purpose of spotting offenders. If there aren't enough staff to do the job.....set on more staff, the salary would be easily covered with fines, or am I being stoopid?
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2018, 19:26   #8
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heddy View Post
Are drivers getting away with this sort of thing because ANPR can't be 'everywhere' and the police have other more pressing duties?
When did you last see a Police car or ANPR van? I saw an Astra police car this week parked up in a housing estate but no police people any where is site so they were on other duties.

A friend who lives in High Wycombe came home to find his house had been broken into, he called the police to be told if they are no thieves still at the house there is nothing they can do so secure the house and gave him his crime number over the phone , several weeks after the break in a community police officer knocked on his door and asked if every thing had been sorted out? They made some suggestions on extra security features and she went on her way.

The problem is we don't have enough police.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2018, 09:30   #9
Mogodon
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 135+ Diesel Auto Mk2. Nisan Micra 1.4 SVE Auto.

My son is a police officer (although not traffic) and I spoke to him about this and all those police programmes where they always catch the fail to stoppers after the pursuit etc etc.

He actually laughed and said its not really like that as they never show the ones that get away as they are faster / take bigger risks / or the pursuit is called off by a senior officer (the pursuit commentary is constantly monitored by an inspector in the control room, and if he considers the pursuit has become an unacceptable risk to other road users or the general public he will call it off) effectively allowing them to get away and this happens a lot.

They always seem to have the police helicopter available to follow the fail to stoppers which he says is also somewhat exaggerated.

He said these programmes are done to give the impression the police always catch the fail to stops, uninsured, unlicensed and dangerous drivers which is patently not the case but they don't want you to know that.
Plenum spyhole mod. Powerflow backbox. 11 spoke alloys repainted Black Sparkle. Black Expansion tank. Drivers side cup holder. PPD carpeted heater box sides. Illuminated sun visors, PPD Door reflectors. PPD Seatbelt lower mount bolt covers. PPD Drivers grab handle. Cubby rechargeable torch and power socket. FBH retro-fitted. FBH engine pre-heater mod done. Electric rear Sunblind. Tow bar. Flip key. MGR towing mirrors and Saloon roof bars.

Hand Built in Birmingham
Mogodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2018, 10:10   #10
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Greg View Post
I believe there are already penalties in place but it doesn't seem you get points? Someone will know better than I do I expect
No points, usually a £100 fixed penalty ticket although a court can fine up to £1000.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote