Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th March 2019, 13:46   #1
vacuman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Default 20 year rule - Howmanyleft

I've mentioned before the 20 year ski slope for older and relatively mundane cars (i.e. Rover - sorry).

Following a conversation about Rover 214's I looked at Howmanyleft (yes, I know the data can be flawed) and believe that the data for the 214 SI is a perfect illustration as to how quickly the last remaining examples leave our roads once beyond the age of 20.

If you look here - https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/rover_214_si - the SORN numbers remain pretty constant but the taxed numbers drop from 3,122 at Q3 of 2014 to just 601 five years (or 1826 days) later. That's nearly two a day being scrapped.

Judging by posts on here and, increasingly, on Facebook, R75 & ZT's are in the same territory now, four or so years behind the humble 214. For those looking for an investment, it's a reasonable assumption that on-the-road numbers will be just a quarter of where we are today, with clubs like this helping to offset the problems caused by sometimes complex and expensive repairs.

At least I think it's likely that good 75/ZTs will be more in demand than good 214s, assuming that our government hasn't introduced any new scrappage schemes and country-wide diesel bans.
vacuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2019, 16:04   #2
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Agreed 100%, when did you last see a MK3 Astra, MK2 Mondeo or a Cavalier?

My MOT guy surprises me sometimes with cars he fails on a terminal basis but apart from accidents and scrappage schemes cars disappear off the road at roughly the rate they are registered or we would be over run more than we are. 2.5 million cars are registered annually in the UK so approximately 50,000 a week must be being scrapped.

The problem is less likely to rust these days but surprisingly more common than a lot of people think, emissions, price of parts and availability kills a lot of cars. I know of a very nice condition low mileage 8 year old Alfa that is likely to be scrapped because it needs an ECU that is over £1400 from the manufacturer and will need half a day in the dealer to get it to work.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2019, 19:44   #3
gnu
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Now you tell me! I sold our 214 (1999) about 18 months ago. Got a 25 to replace it, but it's not as good a car, despite being a higher spec. It just doesn't feel as solid, probably due to project drive deletions.

Really, why I sold the 214 was I was spending too much time underneath it. I lost patience when I had to redo the clutch bearing 25k miles after a new clutch kit. I fixed it, got it a full MOT and sold it. That was it's last MOT; it's gone now.
Old 7th March 2019, 21:24   #4
stamfordzs

MG ZT-T, MG ZS 200

Interesting, I have a recently acquired ZT-T which is my daily, also have a mk1 ZS180, had that 14 years but I also own a 20 year old Audi A6 Avant 4.2 V8 Quattro. It had been sat since August last year, chucked it in for an MOT last month to see if it was worth carrying on, to my surprise it only failed on rear number plate lights, faulty connector. Tester said nothing wrong with it, solid car. Was looking to sell it, maybe with low numbers I ought to hang on? Just shows that some marques are better built and don’t show their age unlike some?
Now if I kept every car I liked I would be a classic hoarder and the missus would have left me! I did have a nice black 216 Vitesse once, never see those now, all rotted away.
stamfordzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2019, 09:38   #5
Asriel
Regular poster

MG ZT 190

You can see the downward trend for all Rover 75s and MG ZTs here:

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/family/rover_75
https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/family/mg_zt

It looks as though some people are holding on to them though, although the number on the road is declining the number SORNed is increasing
Asriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2019, 10:59   #6
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Default I agree ...........

With appropriate care, it is possible to keep any modern car going for 20ish years. Beyond that, most will need regular care.

My Omega estate is on 140k miles and will be 20 in September. It passed its last MOT with no advisories and I expect it to last until the age of 22 without requiring any significant work.

I would expect my 2005 Rover 75 to last until 20+ years of age.

All cars require significant maintenance at 8-10 years and then 15-16 years of age. In my case, I get everything done at these points and then the cars require very little attention during the next period. The cars that require regular attention are those that have not had such work done at the appropriate periods in one go. I prefer my approach as I then have 100% confidence in my cars at all times.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2019, 11:35   #7
mbev51
Banned

Removed

I'm on 4.5 yrs of ownership, I use it as my daily driver so it now owes me nothing. Don't know whether to sell it or put it in my garage and go through it with a tooth comb.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote