Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th March 2019, 16:29   #1
Hellfire127

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Diesel Engine Cut-out

Please, could I have some help on this problem.

I have a 2004 Rover 75 CDTi that seems to cut out randomly. It will not then restart for 5, sometimes 10 minutes.It will then start. It may then cut out, in the same manner, another 3 times during the day or run fine for a week! The AA told me it was a fuel pump, so I replaced both the tank and the under bonnet. It does not seem to matter if it is hot or cold the cut out appears random. I have driven a 100 miles and runs perfectly, another journey the next day and it cuts out on a roundabout a mile from my house. I have had it in two garages they replaced each fuel pump. I am a bit lost as to where to go to next. the car runs fine usually, high mileage though 213k.

Any pointers?

Cheers

Toby.
Hellfire127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2019, 16:36   #2
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Cuts out on roundabout eh? Toby your plenum drains are very likely to be blocked, and the water is sloshing over to the passenger side where the ECM lives, and dipping it's toes in the water.

Take a look now, and take the ECM out of the plastic housing, and open up the casing to make sure it is not still wet inside

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2019, 16:36   #3
markypicks
Gets stuck in

rover 75 saloon cdt club se re map 160 bhp

im sure somebody will be along soon to give you some pointers to your problem but with all the rain recently have you made sure all your plenum drains are clear dont want your ecu taking a bath its just a thought toby rgds mark
markypicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2019, 16:38   #4
markypicks
Gets stuck in

as anticipated Brian ask asked about your plenums rgds mark
Old 12th March 2019, 16:43   #5
Hellfire127

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanks for your replies. I did clear the plenums last autumn when I changed the Cabin Filter which was soggy. This problem has been going on for about 3 months now. The roundabout reference was just an example, it can cut out anywhere. I thought I'd solved it after I replaced both tank pumps a couple of weeks ago but it cut out again this morning a mile from my house about 5 mins after I left home. So back to the drawing board.
Old 12th March 2019, 16:51   #6
markypicks
Gets stuck in

hi toby you need to be cleaning the plenums on a regular basis have you done all 4? i fitted a jules plenum drain protector which has helped alot if your ecu is suspect marina brian is the man to contact rgds mark
Old 12th March 2019, 17:16   #7
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfire127 View Post
Thanks for your replies. I did clear the plenums last autumn when I changed the Cabin Filter which was soggy. This problem has been going on for about 3 months now. The roundabout reference was just an example, it can cut out anywhere. I thought I'd solved it after I replaced both tank pumps a couple of weeks ago but it cut out again this morning a mile from my house about 5 mins after I left home. So back to the drawing board.
If the pollen filter was soggy, then the ECM has been wet

Take it out of it's casing take a look at the bottom of the PCB to see if there is evidence of corrosion specifically on the processor to the left of the AM400BT flash memory, and on the reverse of the board, again right at the bottom where there are three SMD resistors, and a transistor in a small group, a 15K 33K and a 3.3k.

The damage caused by water ingress can be instantaneous, however it can "ferment" over a few weeks, or even months.

When the car cuts out, turn the ignition off wait for 30 seconds, then turn it back to position 2 and see if the oil pressure warning lamp is lit, if not then the ECM is not being initialised, nor is it broadcasting on the CANBUS, and there will be no 12V present on the white wire with purple tracer on the UBP plug

If it is ECM related, I can sort it out easily enough

Brian

Last edited by marinabrian; 12th March 2019 at 22:26.. Reason: Eagle eyed Colvert spotted the gaping omission
Old 12th March 2019, 20:43   #8
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Brian. When the ignition is off for 30 seconds do you then switch it back on to check the oil light ??
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2019, 22:24   #9
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Brian. When the ignition is off for 30 seconds do you then switch it back on to check the oil light ??
Yes of course John

I'd best edit my post to suit

Brian
Old 13th March 2019, 09:33   #10
Hellfire127

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanks, guys, sounds like I need to look inside the ECM box first and check for water damage before I head for other areas. I will do that at the weekend.

It is weird how it starts again after waiting a few minutes. When it first started doing this it was about a year ago, it was just once or twice in that time. the last three months the car has become unreliable as you never know if you are going to cut out or not. the strange thing is that it always starts again after a few minutes wait.

Thanks,

Toby.