Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th March 2019, 17:52   #1
P-Nut
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190+

Default What would you do?

I'm stuck in an infinite loop regarding the fate of my ZT, I only paid £500 a year ago and it's done me well and achieved it's purpose of driving around Europe. However it's far from a good example and it needs a lot of work...maybe too much, let me summarise it's issues and condition and tell me would you either restore it or buy another?

ZT 190

182,000 on the clock and it drinks a litre of oil every 1000 miles, passed emissions though, but I feel any engine drinking that much hasn't got much life left.

Paintwork, less said the better, needs a respray

Sills are rusting through front and rear, had one welded last year for MOT will definitely need sorting.

Rear suspension is rusty but when is it not?

Front subframe is rusty.

I know another car could have similar issues but seeing as a respray won't be cheap and neither will an engine would I be better off just buying a lower mileage example? If it did that at least I'd have a care full of spares. What would you do?
Old 12th March 2019, 18:24   #2
markypicks
Gets stuck in

rover 75 saloon cdt club se re map 160 bhp

what you need to do is sit down with pen n paper and write down the total cost of repairs to yours, then work out how much another car would cost .. also it just depends on what the cars used for ie just a runner bout or a family motor.. as with all older cars like mine 02 plate cdt club se the parts they fitted when it was new are now starting to wear and needs replacing which costs money i was fortunate enough to pickup a good example with the most costly parts have been replaced but as you said if you purchased a lower mileage one then yes would would have alot of spares hope you make the right decision rgds mark

Last edited by markypicks; 12th March 2019 at 18:28..
markypicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2019, 18:26   #3
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Nut View Post
I'm stuck in an infinite loop regarding the fate of my ZT, I only paid £500 a year ago and it's done me well and achieved it's purpose of driving around Europe. However it's far from a good example and it needs a lot of work...maybe too much, let me summarise it's issues and condition and tell me would you either restore it or buy another?

ZT 190

182,000 on the clock and it drinks a litre of oil every 1000 miles, passed emissions though, but I feel any engine drinking that much hasn't got much life left.

Paintwork, less said the better, needs a respray

Sills are rusting through front and rear, had one welded last year for MOT will definitely need sorting.

Rear suspension is rusty but when is it not?

Front subframe is rusty.

I know another car could have similar issues but seeing as a respray won't be cheap and neither will an engine would I be better off just buying a lower mileage example? If it did that at least I'd have a care full of spares. What would you do?
What would I do? I'd look for a better, low mile 190 - providing you have space and time to have a spare car until you get the good spares out of it. The cams and heads off the old 190 could be desirable here. Someone was talking about upgrading their 177 or 180 to a 190 a couple of weeks ago. Is your engine smoking blue? If so, when?

Cheers,
Glenn

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2019, 18:32   #4
P-Nut
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190+

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovcan View Post
What would I do? I'd look for a better, low mile 190 - providing you have space and time to have a spare car until you get the good spares out of it. The cams and heads off the old 190 could be desirable here. Someone was talking about upgrading their 177 or 180 to a 190 a couple of weeks ago. Is your engine smoking blue? If so, when?

Cheers,
Glenn
No smoke, I'm honestly not sure where the oil is disappearing to, I've checked all around the engine, no leaks anywhere.

I've got a main car until July after the MG will probably become my daily (something I said I'd never do)
Old 12th March 2019, 18:43   #5
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Get another one Jack

I was offered £400 for the ZT today by someone who commented on how clean it was.

I politely declined his more than reasonable offer, due to the fact I didn't fancy walking home from Longbenton in the rain

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2019, 18:47   #6
BigJohn
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Time to get a replacement Jack, I would shell out any money on it with the issues you have mentioned
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2019, 19:03   #7
P-Nut
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190+

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Get another one Jack

I was offered £400 for the ZT today by someone who commented on how clean it was.

I politely declined his more than reasonable offer, due to the fact I didn't fancy walking home from Longbenton in the rain

Brian
I'm looking that way, seeing a few with under 100k for less than a grand

You don't know anyone who takes shells away do you? Most scrappies want a whole car
Old 12th March 2019, 19:12   #8
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Nut View Post
I'm looking that way, seeing a few with under 100k for less than a grand

You don't know anyone who takes shells away do you? Most scrappies want a whole car
I don't know of any, which is why I'm simply going to cut mine up into manageable sized lumps with a 9" grinder for the pikey's to heft away in their Transit pickup.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote