Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th March 2019, 22:47   #1
ryszard
Gets stuck in

Moonstone diesel,X351 Jaguar and now MG ZT 260

Default Car scrappage.

Hi,dropped a bit of a clanger.Totally stripped out my spares 75 down to a shell thinking I could cut it up and have the metal collected then inform DVLA of its scrappage by sending them the log book but that is not the case as it has to be collected by an authorised treatment facility,car scrapper.
It is along my drive away from the road so a heavier van with a grabber cannot get to it,so,if I take off the doors which will leave just a hard shell does anyone know if it is possible for four blokes to lift the shell and carry down the drive?Regards Ry.....
ryszard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2019, 23:24   #2
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

Take an angle grinder and cut it into smaller pieces?

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2019, 07:57   #3
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

I once cut up a car into small pieces using an axe, it’s amazing just how quick it takes to slice through it and with less hazards ie sparks flying
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2019, 08:41   #4
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

I’ve taken whole shells and cut up cars and chassis to my local metal scrap yard on my trailer. Weighed it in and collected the scrap value. Yes I’ve asked 3 friends to help me lift it all on and taking the doors, bonnet and boot off are vital to reduce the weight and make it possible.
You get a slightly better return on the shell as there is no middle man collecting it for you but scrap value needs to be in your favour too. I’ve seen scrap metal vary in price a great deal lately. £50 per ton up to £130 per ton.
You won’t get a certificate of scrappage as they only want the metal. Some however have been happy to issue one. Best speak to them first. Otherwise you will end up with a non existent car that is permanently on SORN!
Shame you are not a bit closer. Could have moved it for you.
Old 21st March 2019, 10:37   #5
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Had the same problem when I stripped our scrapper down to the shell. Ended up giving it to a local collector of scrap vehicles along with a number plate on the agreement that when he weighed it in he got it signed off officially as being scrapped.
Mike Noc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2019, 22:42   #6
ryszard
Gets stuck in

Moonstone diesel,X351 Jaguar and now MG ZT 260

Hi,that was the original idea,to cut it up into pieces,but I want to be sure my log book gets signed off by a registered authorised treatment facility,all the ones I've seen require a shell at least for proof,hence my question is how heavy is just the shell to carry down to where it can be lifted.I do not want to dispose of it and still have it as Sorned in my name with no proof of its existence and DVLA not knowing it has been scrapped.Regards Ry...
ryszard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2019, 07:34   #7
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

I'd hazard a guess that it is a bit too heavy to be lifted safely by 4 guys - depends on who your mates are though!

With the help of a small trailer to rest one end on, a wheelbarrow at each corner, or at the really basic end some logs to roll it over (worked for our ancestors moving large stones) I'm sure you could get it down your drive.
Mike Noc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2019, 09:33   #8
markypicks
Gets stuck in

rover 75 saloon cdt club se re map 160 bhp

get the old reciprocating saw out i purchashed a mcalister for 50 quid best tool ive ever had rgds mark
markypicks is offline   Reply With Quote