Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th May 2019, 19:55   #11
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
Agreed...........Although I'm pretty sure Great Britain and her allies have carried out many clandestine operations of their own that we just don't get to hear about. Possibly because they carried them out with a little bit more panache and not leaving any room for accountabilty

I'm not so sure about our own complacency regarding Nuclear safe practices either

P.s. Great series and brings back scary memories of the event.
Yes - do you remember when Welsh Lamb was banned because the fallout from Chernobyl had fallen on the Welsh hills?

We discussed this with some young guys a while back and they took some convincing that it had actually happened.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2019, 20:12   #12
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr bountyfull View Post
Having worked in the Nuclear Sector as a classified worker and having the experience of a criticality (False alarm luckily) I have found it quite unnerving!
The best thing on tv at the moment. Mrs sworks remembers the time it happened well

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2019, 20:13   #13
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
Yes - do you remember when Welsh Lamb was banned because the fallout from Chernobyl had fallen on the Welsh hills?

We discussed this with some young guys a while back and they took some convincing that it had actually happened.
I do indeed.

I'm pretty sure I remember something about Milk possibly being a problem as well!
Old 28th May 2019, 18:55   #14
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 club se tourer CDT and a Connoisseur SE Diesel Auto Saloon

Really enjoying this series especially since watching Deutschland '83 and most recently Deutschland '86 to give you the feeling of living under communist rule. D' 86 even had an episode where a radiation cloud was detected coming from the plant but any information was kept from the masses . The Eastern Block really were a strange lot !
patrolman pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2019, 20:24   #15
Nobby
Aged to perfection!

Rover 75 Conn SE Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post

It did indeed Welsh farms particularly in the north were put under restrictions after the event, the main threat being radioactive cesium which coated the area and can still be found in the grass. Farm animals particularly sheep, were routinely monitored before they were allowed to be sold and I recall that there was some publicity in Wales that some animals still recorded high levels of caesium unsafe for human consumption as recently as 2012. Since then who knows (?) as the coalition government stopped monitoring to save £300grand a year because someone in their wisdom deemed the numbers of animals failing checks with high levels of caesium were insignificant to present a great risk to the public!! Makes you wonder doesn't it what else we don't know

Sometimes I talk to myself, Then we both LAUGH!

Nobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2019, 21:52   #16
DaylightRovery
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Just read the book "Chernobyl". One of the major causes of the disaster was cost cutting due to "ticky box" quotas that the higher ups demanded be filled at all costs.
The designer of the reactor was too proud to admit that there was a risk relating to cooling when the main turbine was slowed below x amount of rpm. Interestingly the yanks had already solved this issue with their own reactors, but the soviots refused to use the trchnology out of pride.

Another great series is called "Das Boot" by Sky Bavaria. I named my 75 after that as it's full of water usually.
DaylightRovery is offline   Reply With Quote