Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th May 2022, 15:21   #1
Retap
Loves to post

MG ZT-T CDTi

Default Rear noise diag ZTT

Hi folks still trying to solve a noise coming from the rear of Nigel the MG ZTT has any one else had similar to this, i read somewhere brake pipe noise was possible...?

The noise is in fact two types that could have different origins, the first is a rattle over rough spots of road like a twang and another noise like a fan coming on almost like there is a turbo in the rear of the car lol, the fan noise presents itself above 40mph and depends on road type always hate driving concrete motorway its the worst for noise even without this! The fan like noise is present regardless of engine RPM, i can slip him into neutral at speed with that noise still there so not suspecting anything blowing from exhaust or actual turbo defo vibration from something to the rear though its hard to tell when welded to the driver seat.

Just been under the car poking about have secured a loose back box bracket and front exhaust shield was off on os side so put that back on but not fixed ether noise yet.

Also noted some loose brake pipes around the rear os where they loop by the side of the fuel tank, i think that could be the clattering so have adjusted so they not touching anything but need to secure better long term. The rear shocks are also suspect especially os which appears to have evidence of oil leaking down. I note DMGRS is sold out of rear shocks at minute which sucks as all other springs n shocks have been replaced.

Any thoughts would be welcome thanks in advance....

Renew auxiliary drive belt # Replace driver door lock actuator # Refurbish wheels

Last edited by Retap; 5th May 2022 at 15:23..
Retap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2022, 10:37   #2
Retap
Loves to post

MG ZT-T CDTi

For what it worth I had a break through with this irritation driving home yesterday as was able to repeatedly get the main noise to stop on right turns at speed so wiggling my finger at os rear wheel bearing given this new data and the fact Nigel has logged 185k and the ns rear bearing was done last summer. hold my tea nurse im going in.

However still got a twang sound over some bumps but exhaust back box is secured and rear shocks are scheduled to be replaced asap as the rear likes to wiggle over rough terrain. Soon as can muster the will got to get eyes on the tops of the rear struts.

Renew auxiliary drive belt # Replace driver door lock actuator # Refurbish wheels

Last edited by Retap; 12th May 2022 at 10:42..
Old 12th May 2022, 11:00   #3
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

I once had a road induced wriggle, 'twas a broken spring on one side. Break very near bottom end, difficult to see but could just feel it with finger.
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2022, 11:20   #4
Retap
Loves to post

MG ZT-T CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWIL View Post
I once had a road induced wriggle, 'twas a broken spring on one side. Break very near bottom end, difficult to see but could just feel it with finger.

Nigel has new springs all round following a serious pot holing event last year though i wish i had played cards more hard and got recovered to a garage that night as the council could have had the entire bill rather then just a tyre bill because we had broken springs, wrecked shoks, shredded tyres the lot. Alas i was to hasty and these faults only became known weeks later. lesson learned. TBF all the springs where ready to be changed with the both NS broken possibly as a result of that pot hole. Put new struts on the front to at same time last summer

The rear shocks are the last piece to change i guess firming thee rest of the car up with new parts has highlighted there fatigue further is my working theory.

Last edited by Retap; 12th May 2022 at 11:23..
Old 12th May 2022, 11:47   #5
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

I have replaced my rear subframe and arms as 100K routine but everything else is original, I have a spare new pair of self levelling rear shocks as they are like expensive hens teeth.
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2022, 11:54   #6
Retap
Loves to post

MG ZT-T CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWIL View Post
I have replaced my rear subframe and arms as 100K routine but everything else is original, I have a spare new pair of self levelling rear shocks as they are like expensive hens teeth.

Nice one

Nigels rear sub frame is coming off after summer its a bit tatty at same time going to do fuel tank straps and get a rear heat shiled on as well but rear upper arms n springs had to be done two mot's ago now,but before i can do subframe or rear shocks go to get the os rear sill jacking point area cut out and welded up currently trying to find somebody who can do that work well, waiting for replies to my issued query's stage....

As far as i know Nigel doesnt have self leveling according to the codes but yeah critical parts getting harder to find if dmgrs hasnt got it wallet shock can ensue. Thankfully DMGRS has some sachs shocks that you can build up which i may have to do as works out cheaper than buying Rimmers complete ready to go struts.

Last edited by Retap; 12th May 2022 at 11:57..
Old 13th May 2022, 17:32   #7
Retap
Loves to post

MG ZT-T CDTi

rear wheel bearing changed this afternoon it was so bad the inner race stayed on the hub but all better now no more fan groan just the twang now haha.