Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th May 2020, 20:54   #1
Best_of_British
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer & Arden Green Project

Default CDT Water pump

As soon as a a problem is solved, another one seems to present itself. I finally fixed ABS light while in lockdown by replacing a rear hub and front sensor, that was such a pain to get out I had to take the front strut off the car. Driving around smugly with no warning lights for a change, then suddenly a horrible bearing rumbling noise and squeaky aux belt.

It looks like a bit of coolant on belt and the noise appears to be coming from water pump. The rate in which it is getting louder means this is a job that needs sorting soon. I have seen Mike Noc get 300k out of his water pump, this is 140k but being a Y reg it is past its service life.

Question is, is it a water pump, thermostat and new belt job and if so any advice or links on quality parts on a budget. Any tips for tackling the job and a rough guide on time it will take?

Sent from my MI 5C using Tapatalk
Best_of_British is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2020, 21:19   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Fit a new stat along with the water pump, it takes around 4hrs to swap it over as its a fiddly job due to access.
Old 24th May 2020, 21:22   #3
Best_of_British
Gets stuck in

4 hours, that will be 6 hours then with sods law. Looking at water pumps I can find branded ones around £55. Valeo, circoli, fahren or QH, which is the best bet,.can't be doing with chocolate parts of it is a pig of a job to do.

Old 24th May 2020, 21:27   #4
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

A long winded fiddly job that requires a couple of jacks, 1/4 sockets (in addition to the rest) and a 1/42 flex head extension. A Easy weekend job. Replace the waterpump/thermostat Ancillary belt and tensioner while you are at it.

It does mean removing the engine mountings and struggling with the tensioner (24mm very thin long spanner).

On M6 nut on the stat and one at the back of the engine, holding the water pipe in place are a real NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-. Other than that, by jacking the engine up and down, all bolts are accessible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Best_of_British View Post
As soon as a a problem is solved, another one seems to present itself. I finally fixed ABS light while in lockdown by replacing a rear hub and front sensor, that was such a pain to get out I had to take the front strut off the car. Driving around smugly with no warning lights for a change, then suddenly a horrible bearing rumbling noise and squeaky aux belt.

It looks like a bit of coolant on belt and the noise appears to be coming from water pump. The rate in which it is getting louder means this is a job that needs sorting soon. I have seen Mike Noc get 300k out of his water pump, this is 140k but being a Y reg it is past its service life.

Question is, is it a water pump, thermostat and new belt job and if so any advice or links on quality parts on a budget. Any tips for tackling the job and a rough guide on time it will take?

Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2020, 22:14   #5
Best_of_British
Gets stuck in

I will add belt tensioner and aviation spanner to growing list, never a simple replacement.

Old 24th May 2020, 22:22   #6
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
I will add belt tensioner and aviation spanner to growing list, never a simple replacement.

Add a pair of miniature mole grips for the hose clamp on the thermostat too

Have fun

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2020, 00:58   #7
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts
Default Water Pump.

Hi Steve.
Would this help you link below it does come with a gasket, I think I may also have a thermostat but would have to look for it tomorrow.

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...03#post2814503

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2020, 06:23   #8
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:

Yes the original pump on my car did well, but sadly the replacement pattern part only lasted 60k.

As you are replacing an original pump you will need to remove the old gasket - it was fitted as a complete gasket for that side of the block from the factory, and there are three tabs that need to be cut through to remove the water pump part of it.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2020, 15:19   #9
Best_of_British
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Steve.

Would this help you link below it does come with a gasket, I think I may also have a thermostat but would have to look for it tomorrow.

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...03#post2814503
Thank you for the link but I have already pulled the trigger on a valeo one for £53 of eBay.