Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th March 2018, 18:23   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default what could be wrong with steering?

my son has hit the kerb with nearside front wheel. Now he is saying to go straight he has to hold the steering wheel 15 to 20 degrees to the left. if he lets steering wheel go it goes 25-35 degrees to the right

what has he damaged?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2018, 18:27   #2
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
my son has hit the kerb with nearside front wheel. Now he is saying to go straight he has to hold the steering wheel 15 to 20 degrees to the left. if he lets steering wheel go it goes 25-35 degrees to the right

what has he damaged?

macafee2
My first thought would be a bent tie rod creating excessive toe-in or toe-out. If nearside means left then a bent lower control arm would give opposite reactions to what you described.

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2018, 18:41   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

I will have to get under the car. I should have said it's a Rover 25. Parts look quite cheap. Hopefully not to difficult to change.

I may be back over the weekend for more advice but thank you slovcan.

macafee2
Old 9th March 2018, 19:08   #4
slovcan
Gets stuck in

Quote:
I will have to get under the car. I should have said it's a Rover 25. Parts look quite cheap. Hopefully not to difficult to change.

I may be back over the weekend for more advice but thank you slovcan.

macafee2
You're welcome. When you get under the car spray all the suspension/steering nuts and bolts with a good penetrating oil and give them all a whack with a hammer (don't damage the threads). I find WD-40 to be pretty weak. I think the best is a homebrew of 50/50 ATF/acetone.

Cheers,
Glenn

Old 11th March 2018, 12:55   #5
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Glenn,
I have had a look and can not tell if anything is bent. If tie rod bent, can it be adjusted to straighten the steering out or shall I just replace tie rod and lower arm. yes we are talking left side / near side (UK)

macafee2
Old 11th March 2018, 13:13   #6
slovcan
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Glenn,
I have had a look and can not tell if anything is bent. If tie rod bent, can it be adjusted to straighten the steering out or shall I just replace tie rod and lower arm. yes we are talking left side / near side (UK)

macafee2
OK, it's time to get out the tape measure and carpenter's level (24") for some basic measurements. Park on level, flat ground with the wheels straight and set the level vertically against each front tire to see if they are equal for camber. They should be nearly perfectly vertical and also the same as each other. That's the wishbone checked. If it was bent, one side would not be as vertical as the other. That cannot be adjusted out.

Now, for the toe, you need a helper. Have him/her hold the tape the tape measure in a specific spot on the tire tread (hooked in a centre groove, for example). On the race car I would bungee strap a straight edge horizontally across the tires to have an exact edge at each tire to measure from. Now, measure across the back of the tire from one side to the other as high up as possible without the tape measure fouling on chassis or exhaust under the car to the same spot on the opposite tire and mark down the number. Then do the same at the same height on the tires at the front of the tires. The difference in these two numbers is your toe-in or toe-out at the front of the tires.

I don't know what the toe spec is but, if your result is not more than 3/8" or 1/2" then you may be able to adjust that out. That will be the bent tie rod, but maybe just not enough to eyeball. Then you will need a proper wheel alignment. This is just a get you going again solution.

Cheers,
Glenn

Old 11th March 2018, 13:54   #7
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovcan View Post
OK, it's time to get out the tape measure and carpenter's level (24") for some basic measurements. Park on level, flat ground with the wheels straight and set the level vertically against each front tire to see if they are equal for camber. They should be nearly perfectly vertical and also the same as each other. That's the wishbone checked. If it was bent, one side would not be as vertical as the other. That cannot be adjusted out.

Now, for the toe, you need a helper. Have him/her hold the tape the tape measure in a specific spot on the tire tread (hooked in a centre groove, for example). On the race car I would bungee strap a straight edge horizontally across the tires to have an exact edge at each tire to measure from. Now, measure across the back of the tire from one side to the other as high up as possible without the tape measure fouling on chassis or exhaust under the car to the same spot on the opposite tire and mark down the number. Then do the same at the same height on the tires at the front of the tires. The difference in these two numbers is your toe-in or toe-out at the front of the tires.

I don't know what the toe spec is but, if your result is not more than 3/8" or 1/2" then you may be able to adjust that out. That will be the bent tie rod, but maybe just not enough to eyeball. Then you will need a proper wheel alignment. This is just a get you going again solution.

Cheers,
Glenn

Glenn,
great explanation how to check, thank you. I'll go and do it. Just been spending some time loosening bolts in preparation of changing both

thanks again

macafee2
Old 11th March 2018, 14:52   #8
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:

Cheers,
Glenn

Glenn, it looks like an arm is bent. I'll guess the left side as this is the wheel that hit the kerb. With this in mind I don't think the track rod can be checked as top and bottom of wheels will be different distances apart.

I'll do the arm first then check tie rod.

does that seem reasonable ?

macafee2
Old 11th March 2018, 15:22   #9
slovcan
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Glenn, it looks like an arm is bent. I'll guess the left side as this is the wheel that hit the kerb. With this in mind I don't think the track rod can be checked as top and bottom of wheels will be different distances apart.

I'll do the arm first then check tie rod.

does that seem reasonable ?

macafee2
Yes, that does seem reasonable. BTW, not sure about terminology on your side of the pond, but here a track rod and a tie rod are two entirely different things. I don't know if the 75 uses track rods. Track rods can also be called tension rods depending on the manufacturer. We are speaking about tie rods.

Cheers,
Glenn

Old 11th March 2018, 16:49   #10
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Yes, that does seem reasonable. BTW, not sure about terminology on your side of the pond, but here a track rod and a tie rod are two entirely different things. I don't know if the 75 uses track rods. Track rods can also be called tension rods depending on the manufacturer. We are speaking about tie rods.

Cheers,
Glenn
cheers Glenn. The rod that does the steering.

I expect this to be ok
https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-QJB10...RoCu9sQAvD_BwE

but this too could be bent

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-BIRTH...sAAOSwqVBZaQr9

macafee2