Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th October 2016, 13:39   #1
milford man
Gets stuck in

Jaguar XE Prestige

Angry Failed MOT

Failed on front brake pipes. Last year car passed with 2 advisories. Nearside & Offside Brake Pipes Slightly corroded. This year booked it into the same garage. I have been using them for nearly 20 years but when I dropped the car off this morning was greeted by the new owner. Feared the worst.

Just got a phone call your car has failed. He said he hadn't looked at last years MOT until he had failed it. Its failed on the badly corded brake pipes mentioned in the advisory last year. I said it stated slightly not badly. Well its a fail now as they are badly corroded. Not wanting to do the job myself I asked how much. Got a load of waffle about going all round the engine bay into master cylinder and into ABS modulator. Its going to cost you £300 to £350. No its not as I will be doing it myself.

I have the tools and fittings and pipe. How things change.

Regards John
milford man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 13:48   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Not good, quite a few failures i see can be cleaned up and treated rather than replaced, i have sent two back for retest this last month with cleaned pipes and they have been passed.

Easy money for garages doing brake pipes.
Old 20th October 2016, 15:31   #3
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

Clean them up as said, I too have seen a few failures that when cleaned are passed later
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 15:43   #4
Rev Jules
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by milford man View Post
Failed on front brake pipes. Last year car passed with 2 advisories. Nearside & Offside Brake Pipes Slightly corroded. This year booked it into the same garage. I have been using them for nearly 20 years but when I dropped the car off this morning was greeted by the new owner. Feared the worst.

Just got a phone call your car has failed. He said he hadn't looked at last years MOT until he had failed it. Its failed on the badly corded brake pipes mentioned in the advisory last year. I said it stated slightly not badly. Well its a fail now as they are badly corroded. Not wanting to do the job myself I asked how much. Got a load of waffle about going all round the engine bay into master cylinder and into ABS modulator. Its going to cost you £300 to £350. No its not as I will be doing it myself.

I have the tools and fittings and pipe. How things change.c

Regards John
Hi John.
If they were an advisory last year, and you have said you have the tools and pipe, why haven't you done it?

Rev
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 17:02   #5
Rooney
Suspended

MG ZT 135+ Rover 75 CDTi Tourer, 75 2.5 V6 Saloon

Cost me less than £15 to replace the brake pipes on my tourer.

I'm far from a mechanic but some things are just too simple to be able to justify paying someone else to do.
Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 17:29   #6
kbonney88
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Tourer & 75 Saloons

How bad are they - can you clean them as trikey has said? might be worth a go..

Iand as for the garage doing them - I can't see where the justification is for that quote.. the drivers front is a pain on the "V6", but its still not that bad.. alot easier on the diesel.
I have changed all 4 outer pipes on one of my cars this week, but to be fair they did need changing..

so good on you John for doing it yourself if you do change them - it wont take you long and as a result you won't be out of pocket.. nice one..

regards,

Kev
kbonney88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 19:01   #7
milford man
Gets stuck in

Jaguar XE Prestige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Jules View Post
Hi John.
If they were an advisory last year, and you have said you have the tools and pipe, why haven't you done it?

Rev
I was going to do them in the summer but ran out of time. I had to rebuild the engine. New pistons and liners.

Regards John
milford man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 19:18   #8
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by milford man View Post

I have the tools and fittings and pipe. How things change.

Regards John
Put yourself in the tester's shoes. He sees a pipe covered in corrosion. He is not allowed to start removing the corrosion. He then has a judgement call to make on the severity of the corrosion and evidently did so based on what he observed.

The statement on last year's MOT about the condition of the pipes is irrelevant this time around, other than being indicative of a possible positive vindication for the current tester's assessment.

The pipes should have been attended to in some way prior to the latest MOT if the aspiration was to achieve a first-time pass.

Look on the bright side - the tester may have saved you or/and another party injury due to brake failure.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 20:21   #9
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Go for it yourself if you have the tools.

Sometimes if they are easy to get at you can just replace the corroded section,
Depends on what kind of flaring tool you have.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 21:20   #10
Tiff
Regular poster

75 saloon

I've failed a few 75's on front brake pipes, then when removing them to fit new ones have been surprised how bad they were. Sometimes a brake pipe can look bad, then when you remove them you are glad you failed them- unseen bits can be totally rotten and ready to fail. Being a tester is a curse sometimes- dammed if you do, dammed if you don't.

To correctly assess the condition of corroded metal brake pipes, surface dirt might have to be removed. This might require light scraping with the Corrosion Assessment Tool ‘spade end’. Care must be taken not to damage any protective coating.
Chafing, corrosion or damage to a rigid brake pipe so that its wall thickness is reduced by 1/3 (e.g. approximately 0.25 mm for typical hydraulic brake pipe) is a reason for rejection.

This is what we are told is the pass/fail criteria. If the pipes are painted,undersealed or hidden, then we have to pass and advise if there is a concern. Brake pipe bursts above a tank, car has an accident with a years MOT on it, we end up in court.

Last edited by Tiff; 20th October 2016 at 21:38..
Tiff is offline   Reply With Quote