Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd November 2021, 09:58   #1
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts
Default Great cars in the news

Hi to you all, this is neither a rant or criticism but pure fun and it certainly makes me giggle from time to time.
So I have had the pleasure of owning MG and Rover products over a number of years, and was blessed with some superb vehicles with technology beyond the time of their concept which still works and in many ways featured in more modern cars, but in todays demands they seem to be old fashioned. Over complicated systems have emerged into production and harness the user of such systems as totally incompetent. We have many examples of (I cannot drive systems) for example electronic parking brake, brake system hold, driver assist, cars that park themselves, keyless systems - the list seems endless.
But in the news, we discover a whole new concept that changes everything basic, into a complex nightmare. Now this made me laugh so much :
So you no longer need a key to use your Tesla car. Great ! However the lazyness has caused significant impact to the fashion of trying to be a "Flash Harrry" in your state of the art motor. So the app failed hundreds of users causing issues beyond our normal imagination. So for me, I get my KEY, unlock my front door, cross the threashold of the property, close the door and put this centurys old device into another device, turn it and the property becomes secure again. How satisfying it is ! For centuries we have managed to carry keys quite comfortably and confidently, they even offer the mind a level of security and confidence that we can access our property/equipment with ease and confidence, but his seems no good to the new aspiring EV owner, a key ? So funny the thought that a driver of a car with his Iphone that has failed as they are renoned to easily do both for old and new handsets, could indeed prevent the wheels from turning ! What is wrong with these people, why no key for your car ? Do they need an app to lock their house when they go to work ? All I can say is, I laghed so much when I saw the news article regarding these poor modern idiots left stranded with no access to their fab car !
To conclude this post, I wonder what chance these drivers would stand driving a proper non tecnical car, maybe a Lada Riva, series 2A Land Rover, both of whch are examples of robust reliable built to last vehicles (If looked after properly)
So - Just in case I have missed something out -
You need a charged up car to drive it, and a charged up mobile phone to get into it and drive it, mobile data to communicate and blutooth connections ETC to operate it and the app fails, then you need a taxi or public transport to get home to get your KEY, then return to the stranded advanced technological vehicle and manually interact with it to get into and maybe try driving it back home to put you key in the front door to unlock it again ?

WOW FANTASTIC, Wake up lazy people, old fashioned stuff still works ok !
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2021, 10:13   #2
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

I’ve not read the article but the way I understood it was that the app side went down but the cars weren’t stranded as there was another means of entering? My Ioniq has remote opening via an app but also a key and keyeless via a button on the handle

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2021, 10:18   #3
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Here is the problem with that paragraph. The writer calls others 'modern idiots' and 'lazy'. Only an idiotic person (there may be a better four-letter description beginning with p!) would do this, whether for light-hearted entertainment or out of serious belief.

One of the problems with car keys is that a lot of modern clothing is tight, figure hugging and designed to accentuate the natural form of man or womanhood. What sort of an idiot would wish to ruin that by putting a bunch of keys in their back pocket?

So many old fashioned Luddites just do not get the opportunities offered by modern technology nor do they understand how it actually works.

I used to work with someone many years ago, who always said "you are confusing me" and never "I cannot understand". Even now I see this quality in many citizens.

Isn't this fun?
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2021, 10:27   #4
RogerHeinz57

A Reasonably Priced Car

That aside, if the app had failed, the news article suggested that drivers had been stranded while away from their key rendering them to be right in the brown stuff.
I have experiencince working with the modern cars as a tester within one of the on-line car supermarkets, some of the tech is cited as funky, but most of it inevitably will fail, and cause significant issues into the future, at significant cost ignoring the simple things which were histrically perfectly acceptible for everyday use. Just my thoughts on this. Others may not agree, and we all have to simply get on with it but overcomplicating things will cause issues further down the line and so many of these cars will become valueless by the cost of repairing and lack of skills and understanding how it all peices together to work.

I have tested plenty of Iconic's and they seem a little boring with little character, but on balance, they are a well put together car with great future alongside their competitors.
Old 23rd November 2021, 10:31   #5
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

No I dont reckon any of what you say is correct,its all because 50% plus of them are fat and the clothes dont fit because they buy the size they think/hope they are. You see Ravinder I do understand.(and I feel much better now) Chris.S.
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2021, 10:31   #6
RogerHeinz57

A Reasonably Priced Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
Here is the problem with that paragraph. The writer calls others 'modern idiots' and 'lazy'. Only an idiotic person (there may be a better four-letter description beginning with p!) would do this, whether for light-hearted entertainment or out of serious belief.

One of the problems with car keys is that a lot of modern clothing is tight, figure hugging and designed to accentuate the natural form of man or womanhood. What sort of an idiot would wish to ruin that by putting a bunch of keys in their back pocket?

So many old fashioned Luddites just do not get the opportunities offered by modern technology nor do they understand how it actually works.

I used to work with someone many years ago, who always said "you are confusing me" and never "I cannot understand". Even now I see this quality in many citizens.

Isn't this fun?

So the fashion comes before basic needs of a key, I see where this is going.I would rather be able to use my car because of a bulge in my pocket, rather than be sat stranded in the rain. BTW, where does your phone get carried if a key is too big ?
Old 23rd November 2021, 10:37   #7
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerHeinz57 View Post
So the fashion comes before basic needs of a key, I see where this is going.I would rather be able to use my car because of a bulge in my pocket, rather than be sat stranded in the rain. BTW, where does your phone get carried if a key is too big ?

This just proves my point. Have you never seen a person dressed in modern attire as I described? The phone is part of the fashion and in a carefully positioned pocket!

God, we have some work to do.

My post above was intended to make a point. We all have a choice as to what we buy and how we travel. The car in question has other means of entry and starting. There is no need to label those with differing tastes and aspirations idiots, lazy etc. It's not funny!
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2021, 10:45   #8
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

From a manufacturing point of view they have to move forward with technology or they will be left behind other manufacturers . From a tech point of view they are becoming incredibly difficult to fix but the motor trade evolves so fast it’s not surprising there is a huge skill set gap.
Regarding the article I tend not to believe much I read in the press. Last week there was an article in the Daily Mail about a recent spate of tourists parking in the Lake District blocking roads and being inconsiderate, the result would be a ban on cars in the area and they posted two pictures in the article and one showed our ZS. The reality was that the photo was taken in 2019 when the Rannerdale bluebells were in flower and people are encouraged to go and view them. The angle of the photo didn’t show the cars were parked with more of the car off the road and not in fact blocking the road at all. We haven’t owned this car for over 2 years and the cars belonged to locals not tourists.... but if a 2 year old photo taken out of context fits a different news story then why not!

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2021, 10:50   #9
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

I would sum it up as follows:-

So much of what we have with modern technology is because we can and not necessarily because we need to have it.
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2021, 11:09   #10
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

The way I heard it was the 'KISS' principle, alternatively expressed as 'If you leave it off, it can't go wrong! There's inevitably plenty to go wrong on any car, it just needs the parts to be made and assembled properly. But glitchy software is a relatively new story that we're all learning to love and appreciate.
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote