Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th December 2021, 14:46   #31
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

[QUOTE=donc;2910578]Unusually and only because of time restraints I asked a we'll known chain whose fitters can't get better to replace a corroded front brake pipe. I was told " Rover 75? We don't do those!"[/QUOTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
you know what the song says : " you cant get thicker than a thick thick fitter" ! ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Maybe----You can't get thicker than a Quick-fit fitter.---????????
Gents, I know not everyone is born as clever and handsome as ourselves, but do you really think it's fitting for Rover drivers to call certain workers thick?

I deal with some very clever youngsters and others who probably will end up working in fast-fit places. I am not sure I would feel right labeling any of them thick, even if some were not born with the gift to start designing space rockets.

In any case, I think the decision maker in this case was very diligent considering the state of so many cars.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2021, 17:00   #32
Southern Star
Loves to post

Rover 75 CTDi Contemporary SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
I did a bit today but working outside so in between the showers. Have stripped the battery box out, removed the nearside brake pipe and flexi hose and fitted the new hose. Will fit the new pipe tomorrow and then do the offside. Spent two hours on it today and will probably do another couple of hours to complete it tomorrow - I'm in no rush.

I do quite a few jobs on the 75 myself. Last weekend I re-wired the number plate lights, a couple of weeks ago I made up a new heater hose to replace the one beneath the header tank after I discovered Rimmers wanted £45+ VAT for an OEM one. Mine is better than OEM too as it has a proper bleed cap on it, as sold for Westfield kit cars. That was a fiver and it was all it cost me, like anyone who lives on a boat I have almost infinite amounts of rubber hose, jubliee clips, elbows and connectors in the spares box.

But anything likely to involve the underside I generally prefer to leave to a man with a hydraulic ramp, plus also I live in the middle of nowhere, my nearest car spares shop is 7 miles away, the car is needed as a daily driver and so many times I've set out on a supposedly simple task scheduled to take an hour which has turned into an all day marathon because something broke while I was dis-assembling it, a part I had bought was wrong, I needed a tool I don't have etc etc etc.

I can earn £50 for a couple of hours work on a Saturday morning just driving an articulated lorry from Rugby to Coventry and back so I'd sooner do that a couple of times and use the money to pay someone who works on cars for a living to sort some jobs out.

Last edited by Southern Star; 7th December 2021 at 17:07..
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2021, 19:17   #33
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Well after today I think you've got the right idea!

Needed to get the job finished and the car back down off the ramps or Mrs Noc will have nothing to drive while I'm working away for a couple of days, and we can't have that.

Nearside hose to pipe union was completely seized so ended up cutting it off, and got soaked in the process. Fitting the pipe across the back of the engine bay took a lot longer than the one on my car too, but all done now.

Just given it a quick blast up the road and it stops better than ever.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2021, 19:33   #34
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

[QUOTE=MSS;2911305]
Quote:
Originally Posted by donc View Post
Unusually and only because of time restraints I asked a we'll known chain whose fitters can't get better to replace a corroded front brake pipe. I was told " Rover 75? We don't do those!"[/QUOTE

Gents, I know not everyone is born as clever and handsome as ourselves, but do you really think it's fitting for Rover drivers to call certain workers thick?

I deal with some very clever youngsters and others who probably will end up working in fast-fit places. I am not sure I would feel right labeling any of them thick, even if some were not born with the gift to start designing space rockets.

In any case, I think the decision maker in this case was very diligent considering the state of so many cars.
Duck!!!---Incoming.---

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rapier missile.jpg (78.9 KB, 7 views)
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2021, 19:41   #35
Southern Star
Loves to post

Rover 75 CTDi Contemporary SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post

It's just humour based on a play on words with the slogan Kwik-Fit use in TV advertising. I doubt anyone who works there gets upset about it.

I drive an articulated lorry and on another forum I visit (and in certain parts of the media) it is regularly suggested that I eat Yorkies and murder prostitutes. I don't take this seriously. It just goes with the territory.
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2021, 19:45   #36
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by genpk View Post
Plus the garage cant put any markup on any parts you supply!!
Nothing to do with mark up on parts, would you go to a restaurant and take your own food for the chef to cook?

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2021, 20:57   #37
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
Nothing to do with mark up on parts, would you go to a restaurant and take your own food for the chef to cook?
I've enquired at a couple of garages and they say you take away part of their profit if you self-supply the parts.

That, I am told, is why they say NO.--Plus they won't give a guarantee.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2021, 09:41   #38
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Thought I would take the V8 to another garage as they had been so up front on the faults on the SMART Car.
Well, I shall not be going back to them. Took the car in for 3 jobs, they done 2 of them.

Job 1. To find out why the water was being ejected via the catch tank cap.
I even supplied the thermostat along with the O rings as they didn't know where to get them from.
They replaced the thermostat and O rings and it has cured the problem, hopefully. They did road test the car on the A38 which has a few steep hills local to me.

Job 2. The Bear is due her 5k oil and filter change. They carried out this task, eventually.

Jo 3. To replace the windscreen washer pump. Job not done. No explanation given.

For some obscure reason they took photo's of the underside of the car and emailed them to me. I never asked for this and I have no idea why it was done. I will find out tomorrow as I will be speaking to the garage owner. He was not available on Friday when I collected the car.

When I booked the car in I gave them a written list of the jobs I needed doing. And when I took the car in I explained I had brought the thermostat plus O rings and the windscreen washer pump with me. Oh! you want us to replace the windscreen pump plus do the oil change.
The receptionist had not written all the jobs down on the work sheet.

I also said there was no rush to get the car done as I had Banana to fall back on. Well they took me literally at my word. took her in on the 31st November and collected her on 10th December.

233,431. That’s our second meet done, no.3 next weekend.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2021, 11:10   #39
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
I've enquired at a couple of garages and they say you take away part of their profit if you self-supply the parts.

That, I am told, is why they say NO.--Plus they won't give a guarantee.
There is profit in parts, the garage will buy at trade and sell at retail but it’s not a huge amount, it’s all about managing warranty and fitting parts they are happy to fit.

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote