Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st January 2022, 19:30   #11
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMoppet View Post
No I'd never heard of it either but apparently there's a new Highway Code out that says that car driver's opening their doors "Should open car doors using the “Dutch reach” method, with the hand on the opposite side to the door they are opening. This makes drivers turn their heads to look over their shoulders and reduces the likelihood of “dooring” a passing cyclist."

Sounds sensible to me - as an ex racing (but slow) cyclist - but don't know how the Dutch got involved except for the obvious clue that Holland has more cyclists per sq pothole than us.

To ignore the H Code could be a criminal offence, so let's Go Dutch chaps.
Sounds like a recipe for an increase in lower back damage to me
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2022, 15:06   #12
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

As usual this has been poorly communicated, as well as thought out.

Can't wait to see the courts filled with cases where someone has been reported for not applying the new rules and either injured or worse.

JIC:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/t...9-january-2022

I shall just walk into the road now at a junction, knowing full well that should I be killed or injured the car driver is to blame.

As for the Dutch Reach? Well I can just as easily not turn my head to look over my shoulder by using my left arm.

This is going to end in tears I fear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SijcWitntPw&t=1s
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2022, 15:31   #13
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

It looks like we will now need side cameras as well as the front a& rear we have already, there is going to be some rear enders when turning left if a bike is there, and you are indicating and do not make the manoeuvre, as the car behind is most likely thinking you are going to.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2022, 15:39   #14
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
It looks like we will now need side cameras as well as the front a& rear we have already, there is going to be some rear enders when turning left if a bike is there, and you are indicating and do not make the manoeuvre, as the car behind is most likely thinking you are going to.

As you approach your left turn, slow down that bit extra. The traffic behind may well close on you but their speed may be slow enough, that if you stop, they can stop.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2022, 15:41   #15
squire
Posted a thing or two

MGB GT, 2 Morris Minor Travellers

"Dutch Reach", sorry I'm not Dutch. Personally, as a motorist and an ex cyclist, when I open my drivers door I check the door mirror first and as I open the door and look in the mirror the field of vision increases as the door opens, once the door is open slightly I can the look through the gap. I also make sure that I've got hold of the door firmly incase it's windy and the slip stream from passing vehicles.
Motorist have to leave 5' when passing cyclists so cyclists should surely leave room for a potential door opening, and if observant notice that the door is slightly open and adapt accordingly.

At the end of the day it should all be common sense, ha, that shows my age, common sense doesn't exist anymore these days. It's a mad crazy, sue you world we live in now,
squire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2022, 22:25   #16
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

indeed badly thought through. a start from basics would have been more of the way forward. a cycle proficiency test for cyclists would be a good starting point. the roads today are extremely dangerous places for cyclists. they also have to play their part. no age limits apply. young people riding with no knowledge of the highway code at all. riding on pavements, knocking down children and o.a.p alike. no brakes , no lights,or reflectors, not even mudguards. no warning bells or horns. we have all seen them. nothing done about it at all. so lets punish the forever guilty motorist. these irresponsible majority of people called cyclists pay absoluetly nothing . no tax , no insurance, no mot .... never any fines or endorsements / but in the eyes of the law take priority over others. i think the balance of things needs redressing . lets put some responsibilities back on the cyclists as well. the new laws will do little to promote safety. it takes two to tango. I fully respect the thousands of sensible law abiding cyclists for doing things correctly and sensibly , but there is a long long way to go for the others. so let DVLA lawmakers start at the right starting position shall we...
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2022, 00:50   #17
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

I have more respect for my fleet than to go anywhere near a cyclist. Surely they should give us motorists as much room as we are supposed to give them when passing parked cars.
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2022, 07:39   #18
squire
Posted a thing or two

MGB GT, 2 Morris Minor Travellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
I have more respect for my fleet than to go anywhere near a cyclist. Surely they should give us motorists as much room as we are supposed to give them when passing parked cars.
Exactly right. Very few cyclists here in the West Midlands abide by the Highway Code!!!
squire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2022, 09:09   #19
Rev Jules
Rev Jules

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

This old carrot again, never practised the Dutch Reach, personally speaking I prefer the Missionary position myself.

Rev.
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2022, 10:16   #20
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

I suspect the 'steering committee' consisted of a few experts in Petit point embroidery, two or three candle-makers from Wickhamstead and a surprisingly large majority of born-again cyclists. Oh, the odd, nay, very odd, Dickensian legal eagle sharpening his 2H pencil with his faithful Wilkinson razor blade in gleeful anticipation of the opportunity to pay for his new candle to replace that which was by then guttering.