Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th May 2022, 11:15   #11
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lincs View Post
Why do they say it has failed? Has it failed the MOT on its emissions as V6 cat failure is very rare and if they are fitting an aftermarket part then it will most likely only last for a year and due to them not being very good you will possibly end up with the engine light on and code p0420 due to catalyst performance

if you do have a new one fitted make sure you get the old one back

Dave
Not an MOT fail. Just a sudden very loud noise from the front and sounding like a tractor. I'll definitely ask for everything they take off to be retained for me and report back.
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2022, 11:29   #12
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmk View Post
Not an MOT fail. Just a sudden very loud noise from the front and sounding like a tractor. I'll definitely ask for everything they take off to be retained for me and report back.
If the front pipe has broken/corroded get it removed and welded up rather than get an aftermarket one fitted as i can assure you the replacement will not be anywhere near as good as the original

Dave
dave lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2022, 15:42   #13
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
there are two cats on it. i replaced mine years ago for an aftermarket , when i did the LPG conversion. i kept the old one in the shed. they are stainless and stamped with their manufacture checked serial number on each cat, and are logged. about 12 mths ago i decided to have a clearout in the shed and put it on ebay. i asked £175 for it . and should have asked a lot more. as soon as posted before my kettle had boiled , it was sold . !!! this was downpipes and two cats only. they are indeed worth a fortune now. so if i were you i would tell the garage you want the cats back. people online will come out to collect it for free and buy them these days from you. the precious metals content in them are becoming rarer and rarer. some people get the price of a new exhaust out of it. ...
Right, I stand corrected (but I was partially right that the O2 sensors are on the second cat.). So the first cat is the smaller wire mesh (SS?) covered 'bulge' just aft of the two-into-one junction and the second is the larger 'torpedo shaped' tube a little further aft which has the pre and post O2 sensor fittings. Our MGR OEM design seems to be unique having two in-line cats in the system, any idea why?
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2022, 16:35   #14
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Win win for the garage, they charge you for a replacement then weigh in the old cats, make sure you get the cats back if you do replace them.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 9th May 2022, 22:31   #15
Tenesmus
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

I'd go somewhere else for a second opinion.
2005 Connoisseur 2.5 auto SE Tourer in BRG with Sandstone Beige and Black piping interior (the 2nd of only 7 Rover 75s produced 5th November 2004, and it’s the 244th of 303 facelift British Racing Green 75 tourers built worldwide). All I've done is add Rover walnut gear knob and handbrake...

2016 Vauxhall Viva SL (Father Jack) "assisted manual" (auto) in purple. Going rusty underneath already...

Tenesmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2022, 21:50   #16
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenesmus View Post
I'd go somewhere else for a second opinion.
I probably should have done that, but too late now. I got the job done at last but was a bit of a palaver. I have a rubbish cold so will post pics later of the old cat which I managed to retain in the end along with the fuller story.

Last edited by edwardmk; 28th May 2022 at 21:51.. Reason: typo
Old 29th May 2022, 09:42   #17
Dorchester2
incurable Rover addict

Rover 75 Saloon V6 2.5 1999 - Rover 25 1.4 2002 - Rover 214i cab 1994 - Rover P5b coupe 1968

A few years ago I went for swapping the whole lot and fitting a full SS derestricted exhaust line from MIJ Exhaust for a very sensible sum (don't recall exactly but less than £500 for the lot).
I'm delighted since. Not at all noisy (hard to tell the difference with the old genuine one) and very efficient and I hope & guess long-lasting.
A very bliss!
  • This vehicle was the 2,032nd 75 in Atlantic Blue Pearlescent (code: JEY) to be made out of 2,572 Atlantic Blue Pearlescent 75s
Dorchester2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2022, 20:07   #18
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

Pictures of the catalytic convertor removed from MY05 ZTT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 31st May 2022, 08:47   #19
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
The garage was adamant the catalytic convertor had 'blown'.
Quote:
Just a sudden very loud noise from the front and sounding like a tractor.
Quote:

Thanks for the pictures Martin. From your description it looks as though the pipe downstream of the catalytic converter sheared in service. It also appears that the pipe was inserted into the next section?

Simon
Old 2nd June 2022, 20:31   #20
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

I think you're right Simon. I don't know what the correct fixing is since I've always left this work to various local garages. The original newish s/s catback exhaust was just too loud for us ( Sorry Rick ). Therefore our first mod was to take off the the two s/s pipes downstream from the catalytic convertor (which being in good nick I've just stored ). The new exhaust supplied was supposedly stock but although much quieter, it has a resonance at 2k revs which I find somewhat irritating.( I think the ZTT rear design may contribute to and amplify the resonance. If the rear is filled with stuff, it's definitely quieter!)
I bought a new backbox from DMGRS intended to be an experiment, to try and reduce resonance, but this turned out to be for the saloon (my mistake). It needs tail pipe extensions or a straight swap for a proper tourer back box, so that also resides in the 'might need one day' parts bin.
Now I have a spare catalytic convertor which might possibly be fettled by someone handy with a welder, but that's not me yet for sure lol! It seems to have three holes for sensors so I guess two of them are O2 sensors (one for each bank on the downpipes ) but I have no idea what the third one was for? It has a flexible "concertina" connector which I've never seen on an exhaust before but still seems sound.