Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th June 2022, 08:09   #21
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorgte View Post
1985 bought an Austin Allegro 1100 deluxe.
Red with beige interior.
I can even remember the registration number OOL 236R. A 1976 car.

Oil light would flicker a bit on tick over when hot. A worn engine but it ran ok.

A "mate" suggested I put a can of STP in the oil to see if that helped. Me being young and stupid put in 4 cans. Light never came on again right up until the car was written off in a head on collision.

Live crash testing in those days. No dummies.

Gosh, you reminded me of an old skoda estelle that I was unfortunate enough to own. Apart from going through head gaskets at the rate of about 1 a month, it also had the red light on for low oil pressure. It was just at tick over at first, but just got worse and worse. STP saved the day, eventually it ran on pure STP, no oil could put out the light lol.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2022, 14:13   #22
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

probably not my biggest bodge but I have just bypassed a micro switch to get our paper shredder working. It was not closing to make contact when the waste bucket was inserted and so the shredder would not work.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2022, 12:42   #23
Sprinter
Posted a thing or two

Jag S-Type 4.2 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWIL View Post
Farnborough Air Show many years ago. A stone punctured the radiator element in the Triumph Herald my brother in law was driving. Took the radiator cap off and filled hole with chewing gum. We got home 30 miles by careful driving with the heater full on and a little added water.

Did a similar thing on a Renault 11 on a Sunday night on the M6. Water hose had chafed through on the bulkhead. Bought some chewing gum and electrical tape. Not only did it get me home but it lasted three weeks until I could get a new hose.

While I was working in a boat yard a pal came by with his Bedford CF camper. The alternator bracket had sheared off. I installed a tapered piece of timber and got it nicely wedged in. When it needed adjusting he just tapped it a bit further down. Not only did it last a long European trip, it was still there when he sold it years later.
Old 13th June 2022, 15:26   #24
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

When we were younger brother and me bought an old zephyr 6 , after a few months we did a bit of a service and found the rear pot had a piece of wood in the plug hole or further inspection not only was the plug missing but the piston and rod too

1st 5 cylinder car
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

Last edited by ceedy; 22nd June 2022 at 14:26..
ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2022, 09:53   #25
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Losing the lights to the rear off side light cluster I have removed the plug from the cluster, removed the wires from the plug, taped a new wire from "each" wire of the cars harness to under "each" bulb and then another wire from the earth wire to the side of a bulb which in turn supplies the whole cluster.
I now have all the lights I need to go out at night and get me home

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2022, 01:48   #26
Devilish
Been round the block

75 Tourer

Honda CB175.
Throttle cable snapped on a Tuesday evening gang pilgrimage to Hilton park. One of them went for a length of wire, hooked it up to the carb, and threaded it between the forks. We carried on to Hilton Park, I rode in front, left hand on the handlebars, right hand holding the wire. We stopped at a set of lights Just before we got on the M6 J10, a mate pulled alongside and said "The way you are holding that wire, it looks like you are riding a horse. So as soon as I was up into 5th, that was it. Left hand slapping my thigh, while shaking the makeshift throttle. a mate started laughing so much he had to pull onto the hard shoulder.

Same year, same bike, same gang.
About a mile on M6 J10 to same place, my chain snapped. Mate on a Honda 250 had some rope in his top box, who towed me to Hilton Park, where we acquired a nail to fix the chain. I still went with them to the Hollies, then back to Hilton Park.

Same gang, same Tuesday evening pilgrimage during winter on our thrash to death winter mopeds, when we mainly used the service road. One in a plastic pig that ran out of petrol. He had a tow rope, so I towed him to Hilton Park with my Honda C50.
Old 22nd June 2022, 08:04   #27
Phil th Barrow
Gets stuck in

" NOW SOLD" :-( Rover 75 Conni Auto SE

Not a bodge really but a real nice job...!!!! Get under powered air riffle. Shoot new sill's for Austin A40 in various places. Drill said air riffle pellet "counter sunk" holes and whats left of th old sill's on th car. Pop rivit them together. Bit of cag, and paint with brush on coach paint. Grey colour of course. Beautiful....