Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd June 2022, 16:53   #1
mikeh
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Thermostat elbow pipe

Hi All, I've just removed (keyhole method) the KV6 thermostat and elbow pipe and unfortunately there is still a bit of the elbow stuck in the block. Is there an easy method/tool to get the remains out.
Thanks Michael.
mikeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2022, 18:52   #2
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Sadly not. you cannot really see what your doing. You could by feel, risk it and try to clean out the old plastic and whatever else with the help of a mirror and torch , but given the hassle ,i would remove the manifolds. the plastic will be well crusted in ,and whatever yo do , dont use a metal object to prise the plastic away. you will dig into the soft alloy and compromise the seal wall. the whole set front and rear manifolds can be removed as one piece , without disturbing the fuel lines and making the job easier. new gaskets are advised upon refitting. if you feel lucky then try your luck in situ , as you are , but as your half way dismantled already i would finish the job making certain all is ok. The inlet manifold gaskets will need renewing if you do decide to do it though. depends on how long you are prepared to wait for gaskets (next day can be arranged for delivery ) .... good luck.
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2022, 19:15   #3
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon

Very easy to slip and score the bore without optimum access.
Typhoon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2022, 07:39   #4
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Heat up a woodscrew and melt it into the remains of the pipe, let it cool and pull it out.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 23rd June 2022, 08:02   #5
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

i use a thin piece of wood as a lever
dave lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2022, 13:17   #6
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeh View Post
I've just removed (keyhole method) the KV6 thermostat and elbow pipe and unfortunately there is still a bit of the elbow stuck in the block. Is there an easy method/tool to get the remains out.
Mike, I would urge you to do this job using the official MG Rover method. It's not easy or quick but you will be able to see what you're doing with far superior access. You'll need this when fitting and setting the straight pipe serrated clips to prevent future 'O' ring seal coolant leakage.

Very good advice from xsport above noting that you'll only need one inlet manifold gasket as the RH bank manifold can remain in situ.

Simon
Old 23rd June 2022, 15:20   #7
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Mike
How are you getting on hopefully you now have the broken part out now, If you are going to dismantle the inlet system to gain better access to it be very careful as you can very easily break some of the plastic fuel lines and damage the injector o rings

I have done loads of these by the keyhole method and easily got the broken parts out and have never had to remove the manifold if you are stuck send me a PM, Had you been nearer to me i would have gladly come and removed the broken part for you

Dave
dave lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2022, 15:38   #8
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Having had a manifold to head gasket fail on the road I always remove the manifold and replace the gaskets when changing a thermostat as a matter of course.
As mentioned above it is easy to remove the manifold complete with injector piping. When I do it I use a couple of nylon wire ties to hold the two manifold parts together to avoid stressing the pipe connections.
Old 23rd June 2022, 15:43   #9
shiner
Regional Secretary London South & West

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Mike, I would urge you to do this job using the official MG Rover method. It's not easy or quick but you will be able to see what you're doing with far superior access. You'll need this when fitting and setting the straight pipe serrated clips to prevent future 'O' ring seal coolant leakage.

Very good advice from xsport above noting that you'll only need one inlet manifold gasket as the RH bank manifold can remain in situ.

Simon
Mike, take you're time as dave says, use a wood wedge and hook out the remaining bit of plastic. No need to remove the inlet manifolds and increase the job. Easily done at least 100 of these over the years, never had an issue with leaks, just take you're time and be careful. Don't waste time effort and risk further issues with fuel leaks by removing the manifold.

Sent from my CPH2371 using Tapatalk

Andy
T4.KV6 belt special tools
[2002 MG ZT 2.5 177 manual Starlight silver
2004 MG ZT-T 1.8T 160 manual green
shiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2022, 15:34   #10
mikeh
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Job completed. Took me a while but I have large hands.
If it fails again I will be removing the manifolds.
Thanks again to all for your advice on the key hole method and removal of the broken pipes.
mikeh is offline   Reply With Quote