Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th May 2019, 19:59   #1
thanos.m
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

Default Audio upgrades

Hi everyone,
My conny v6 75 is sadly fitted with bottom spec harmony sound system and it would be a compliment to say that its performance is just disappointing. From what I read on the forums so far and from my knowledge the first step getting your sound system to sound better is upgrading the head unit. Since I'm on a tight budget at the moment and I really don't like the looks of aftermarket units I was wondering if any of the factory options that can be found easily online would be of any benefit like the Alpine head unit or the later VDO ones. Additionally, would this HUs be plug and plug and play or do they have different wiring? finally what about adding the rear twitters I heard its quite easy to do and it's a great improvement.
Regards,
Thanos
thanos.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2019, 23:06   #2
chas_1
Regular poster

ROVER 75 SALOON

If you are on a tight budget I have a Pioneer Avic X1 in very good nick if you r interested nice bit of kit. I upgraded to a Pioneer Deh 80PRS so this X1 is sitting here gathering dust

Regards

Chas
chas_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2019, 02:00   #3
thanos.m
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

Thanks for the reply,
well my main aim is to keep the dash looking factory that is why I want to avoid using something aftermarket my question is any of the factory HUs like the symphony alpine unit would make any difference from my harmony which sounds extremely bad
regards,
Thanos.
Old 29th May 2019, 06:03   #4
smudge.g
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDTi Connie SE

Hi,
i am currently breaking a facelift 75 with hi-line audio system (the Alpine one with satnav/tv etc) that i dont need. You can have it for postage cost if you like. I also have removed the boot units for the radio and TV (satnav part seems to be missing) but dont know if you would need these other parts too. let me know if interested. BTW, as i dont have the correct car key, I havent been able to test any electrical items.
regards
gary
My 75 Tourer CDTi was born Saturday, 21st June 2003 @ 09:50

My 75 was the 18,749th 75 Tourer to run off the production line, out of 27,407
It was the 195th 75 Tourer CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 2,074
and the 1,789th 75 Tourer in Wedgewood Blue Metallic (code: JEL) to be made out of 1,871 Wedgewood Blue Metallic 75 Tourers
smudge.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2019, 11:22   #5
thanos.m
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

Thanks for the offer I don't think you can plug in the Highline sat nav in a non-highline car without the changing the all the wiring loom nor do I think it could work without its units in the boot if not for the complexity of it would be a nice upgrade
regards,
Thanos
Old 29th May 2019, 13:03   #6
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

A symphony head unit with the SLE mod are supposed to work very well. You can however get very good aftermarket units for very little money and fit it into a genuine fascia adapter rather than the offset aftermarket units and it will work very well.

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2019, 00:00   #7
thanos.m
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

Thank you all for your replies,
I think I'll try getting hold of a symphony unit, is it easy to retrofit if you know and do I need any adapters? and what about the steering wheel controls? also, what is the SLE mod I've never heard of it if anyone has info about that would be much appreciated I could only find a little information about it in threads from 12 years ago.
Regards
Thanos
Old 30th May 2019, 10:32   #8
ryszard
Gets stuck in

Moonstone diesel,X351 Jaguar and now MG ZT 260

Hi,if you are still after a symphony unit I have one,have taken it out of my spares car,I thought it sounded crisper than my high line in my Moonstone.If you are passing by Northampton you can pop in, fit and try it.Would like e tenner for it.Shame as I was near Ryton yesterday.Regards Ry....
ryszard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2019, 14:02   #9
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

The SLE mod increases the bass response. It's a small circuit you solder in place yourself, unless you fancy sending your unit to Germany for them to do it.
I've got one but haven't got round to fitting it yet. In fact, at present l can't even find it.

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2019, 17:28   #10
raykay
I really should get out more.......

Now Other Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanos.m View Post
Thank you all for your replies,
I think I'll try getting hold of a symphony unit, is it easy to retrofit if you know and do I need any adapters? and what about the steering wheel controls?
There is a post on 2nd April on the ICE forum by OldGuy changing a Harmony to a Symphony which may help.
raykay is offline   Reply With Quote