Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 9th September 2021, 21:02   #1
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts
Default K series engines, troubles and cures.....

Thought some of you may find this useful.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXfNS-kayrE

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2021, 09:15   #2
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragrad View Post
Thought some of you may find this useful.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXfNS-kayrE
Thanks for posting, enjoyed it but oh dear where do I begin, torque to yield
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2021, 22:31   #3
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovel View Post
No good asking me, I just drive the darn things

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2021, 09:19   #4
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

Quote:

Torque to yield is where a bolt is tightened beyond the yield point of the material.

When tightened to just below the yield point it is deformed elastically, so when removed it returns to it's original length and in most cases can be re-used.

When tightened past its yield point it is deformed plastically so when removed does not return to its original length and must not be re-used.

Head and other bolts need to supply a consistent, repeatable clamping force, this can be achieved by applying a specific torque to the bolt, but depending on if the bolt is lubricated and other factors the clamping force at a specific torque setting can vary, substantially in some cases, but amazingly around 85% of the torque needed is used to over come friction in the threads and at the bolt head to cyl head interface.

So for example, for a dry bolt torqued to 100Nm, 85Nm is used to overcome friction and only 15Nm applies the desired designed clamping force, however, lubricate the threads and the bolt / head interface and you reduce friction, on applying 100Nm torque in this situation the lubrication will reduce the torque needed to overcome friction to say 60Nm, the remaining 40Nm now applies the clamping force which will exceed the design spec.

Torque to yield with torque angle tightening overcomes many of these variables, at the initial small torque say 20Nm friction isn't a factor and it gives an equal start point to all the head bolts, then tighten by angular means.

So an engine manufacturer will say to a bolt manufacturer, I need a bolt of Y dimensions to produce a clamping force of X, the tightening instructions could say 15Nm, then turn 90 degrees x 3 for the clamp force, which will be consistent day in day out and friction variables due to lubrication, or lack of, variations in thread tolerances etc won't affect the clamp force or the integrity of the assembly, which could occur by simply using a torque wrench with the same variables as above.
Old 12th September 2021, 15:54   #5
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

I know there is a you tube video where a man from Rover tells people about the K4. In the video he mentions torque to yield for the long through bolts, but that is clearly not what happens here!
Depending on which source you use, the initial torque is applied to each bolt in turn, and should be done over a number of operations. So if the initial torque is given as 20 Nm, I would do that over a couple or more operations. Say torque to 10, 15 and then 20 Nm in succession.
That will ensure that the fire rings are all loaded equally, before the angle tightening.
The pitch of the thread of the bolts is 1mm, so one full turn of the bolts will stretch them a maximum of 1mm!
Take that over the total length which must be close to 400mm, i guess, and the elongation of the bolt is a fraction of one percent!.

This is well within the elastic deformation of the bolt, and the bolt will behave according to Hooke's law. That is that the force exerted by the bolt will be linear and proportional with the stretch, and totally reversible.

Last edited by kaiser; 13th September 2021 at 05:47.. Reason: e swapped for p!
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2021, 16:31   #6
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post

This is well within the plastic deformation of the bolt, and the bolt will behave according to Hooke's law. That is that the force exerted by the bolt will be linear and proportional with the stretch, and totally reversible.
Not correct.

Hooke's law only applies in the elastic region of the stress-strain curve.

A 1mm stretch of a circa 400mm steel rod (bolt) actually represents quite a large strain.

Also, plastic deformation, which is what is said to occur with these bolts, continues beyond the yield point for many metallic materials so to use the term torque-to-yield is not inaccurate in this application.

Last edited by MSS; 12th September 2021 at 17:39..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2021, 17:47   #7
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati750cc View Post
Torque to yield is where a bolt is tightened beyond the yield point of the material.

When tightened to just below the yield point it is deformed elastically, so when removed it returns to it's original length and in most cases can be re-used.

When tightened past its yield point it is deformed plastically so when removed does not return to its original length and must not be re-used.

Head and other bolts need to supply a consistent, repeatable clamping force, this can be achieved by applying a specific torque to the bolt, but depending on if the bolt is lubricated and other factors the clamping force at a specific torque setting can vary, substantially in some cases, but amazingly around 85% of the torque needed is used to over come friction in the threads and at the bolt head to cyl head interface.

So for example, for a dry bolt torqued to 100Nm, 85Nm is used to overcome friction and only 15Nm applies the desired designed clamping force, however, lubricate the threads and the bolt / head interface and you reduce friction, on applying 100Nm torque in this situation the lubrication will reduce the torque needed to overcome friction to say 60Nm, the remaining 40Nm now applies the clamping force which will exceed the design spec.

Torque to yield with torque angle tightening overcomes many of these variables, at the initial small torque say 20Nm friction isn't a factor and it gives an equal start point to all the head bolts, then tighten by angular means.

So an engine manufacturer will say to a bolt manufacturer, I need a bolt of Y dimensions to produce a clamping force of X, the tightening instructions could say 15Nm, then turn 90 degrees x 3 for the clamp force, which will be consistent day in day out and friction variables due to lubrication, or lack of, variations in thread tolerances etc won't affect the clamp force or the integrity of the assembly, which could occur by simply using a torque wrench with the same variables as above.
Sorry but I don’t need tuition in yielding bolts.

The K-series bolts are tensioned to an elastic state.

Last edited by Lovel; 12th September 2021 at 17:49..
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2021, 18:21   #8
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Sorry but I don’t need tuition in yielding bolts.

The K-series bolts are tensioned to an elastic state.

You will be missing out on a whole wide wold of engineering education. I rather enjoyed reading Ducati750cc's post!

Are you saying that, contrary to popular belief, the k-series bolts do not stretch when torqued-up and then remain at a longer length than original when removed?
Old 13th September 2021, 05:48   #9
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
Not correct.

Hooke's law only applies in the elastic region of the stress-strain curve.

A 1mm stretch of a circa 400mm steel rod (bolt) actually represents quite a large strain.

Also, plastic deformation, which is what is said to occur with these bolts, continues beyond the yield point for many metallic materials so to use the term torque-to-yield is not inaccurate in this application.
Sorry. It should have been "elastic", not plastic. E has been swapped for P.
Old 13th September 2021, 07:44   #10
MSS
This is my second home

Kaiser and Lovel,

This is a genuine question. Are you saying that these are not in fact stretch-to-yield (more correctly stretch-to-beyond-yield-point) bolts used on the K-series?

I have seen some previous threads on this topic and note that they were not conclusive.

Personally, I would have thought that to use bolts which stretch into the plastic region would render the whole assembly unstable following temperate cycling that occurs in an engine and therefore the application must be within the elastic region. But this thinking may be somewhat overly simple.

I wonder if the bolts operate close to the yield point but within the elastic region during normal tightening and temperature cycling but may go into the plastic region due to overheating and then become incapable of being reused due to permanent (i.e. plastic) stretch.

Last edited by MSS; 13th September 2021 at 08:16..