Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 4th January 2022, 08:05   #1
FantasticMrFish
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Cold and Door Locks

Anyone ever had this issue before.

Was heading to work this morning so out to the car I went. Was very cold overnight up here so it was frozen up.

Scraped the windscreens and got in the car.
Drivers side door was frozen so I gave it a quick squirt of antifreeze and it opened up with a bit of a tug to break it free.

So I'm now standing letting the car warm up and letting the demister do its thing when I go to close the door and the door latch will not engage.

I get in the car to stop my fingers dropping off and oh did I make a mistake. Locked the doors to keep the drivers side door shut. All hell then brakes loose. Can't open the door, can't unlock the door electronically then can't lock it when I unlock it manually. All other doors are frozen shut. So now I'm stuck inside the car.

I thought I'll let the engine get up to temp. Pump some hot air around and get things going. Nothing, I sat for about 30 mins.

Only thing that would open was the boot.......... I'm 6ft 6 and let's just say I'm plumper than the average man. I'll let your brains do the rest.

So now I'm stuck with a car I can't get into, that won't lock anyone have any thoughts on what I've done wrong.

Ta!

Shaun

Sent from my M2007J3SG using Tapatalk
FantasticMrFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2022, 08:17   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

It will be ok when the temp rises, they don’t like the cold at all, some silicone spray on the door rubbers can help.
Old 4th January 2022, 08:47   #3
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticMrFish View Post
So I'm now standing letting the car warm up and letting the demister do its thing ... Nothing, I sat for about 30 mins.
Here's a "hot" tip for you Shaun.

Trying to warm up an engine from cold in freezing temperatures will (1) take a very long time (as you found out) and (2) increases engine wear considerably. This is why manufacturers recommend that the windows are cleared of ice, the engine started and the car driven away at once. A K series engine under load will reach normal temperature in a matter of minutes; much more quickly than one which is idling.

Cheers,

Simon
Old 4th January 2022, 09:49   #4
Southern Star
Loves to post

Rover 75 CTDi Contemporary SE

I've had it happen where I've put some kit on the rear seat and then the rear door just wouldn't shut because of the cold. Ended up driving to work with the rear doors tied together with a length of rope though the interior grab handles to keep the door (sort-of) closed.
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2022, 10:13   #5
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

If it happens again and the door will not shut, use one of these on the door lock, latch, not on the door paint or door card, also silicone all door seals frame and the doors did mine first week in December and again Sunday.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154610761...Cclp%3A2047675

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2022, 10:24   #6
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

I have found that when the door won't close a reset with the central locking button usually works - but it has only happened with the rear doors (so far - 9 years!)
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2022, 10:50   #7
FantasticMrFish
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanks for all the replays. Drivers door has sorted itself out now so I'll go out at lunchtime with some silicone. Passenger front and rear are doing fine now the ice had melted. Just the rear drivers side to go then I can hopefully get everything lubeld up.

I have just such a hairdryer that I can use. Mrs wanted a Dyson for Christmas so her old one is mine for whatever I choose now 😃

Old 4th January 2022, 10:51   #8
FantasticMrFish
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Here's a "hot" tip for you Shaun.

Trying to warm up an engine from cold in freezing temperatures will (1) take a very long time (as you found out) and (2) increases engine wear considerably. This is why manufacturers recommend that the windows are cleared of ice, the engine started and the car driven away at once. A K series engine under load will reach normal temperature in a matter of minutes; much more quickly than one which is idling.

Cheers,

Simon
To my shame I knew this and did it anyway. Was more concerned with getting the doors to close. In hindsight I should have drove around when I was 'locked in'

Old 4th January 2022, 12:37   #9
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
It will be ok when the temp rises, they don’t like the cold at all, some silicone spray on the door rubbers can help.
I was doing shift work and finished at about half past midnight on a freezing cold night. I couldn't get into the car so I asked the only other person present if there was any de-icer hanging about. There wasn't, but being ex army he had a suggestion. Just p**s in the lock was his suggestion, and it worked very nicely. I imagine the same remedy would have worked in your situation, a good soaking over all visible parts and into every orifice.
polinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2022, 19:31   #10
Synchromesh
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

My drivers door latch occasionally freezes up such that the door opens but when I get in an close it it bounces open again. When it does this I pour warm (not boiling) water from the kettle down the outer door skin below window level and near to the door edge. As the door skin warms up the heat conducts or radiates into the latch and it starts working properly again. By the time you reach your destination the heat from inside the car ensures the door latches correctly when you leave the car.
Synchromesh is offline   Reply With Quote