Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The Chinese Cars - MG7 and Roewe 750 > NAC & SAIC
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th March 2022, 14:41   #1
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts
Default What I did with my MG ZS EV Today.

I was filling it up with electrons whilst quaffing a cold Henry's with my feet up

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2022, 14:47   #2
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
I was filling it up with electrons whilst quaffing a cold Henry's with my feet up

Errrrr, "The Lady Boys of Bangkok"??????????????

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2022, 14:53   #3
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post

LOL

Old 5th March 2022, 17:00   #4
Dashnine
Regular poster

MG ZT 260 #442 in XPower Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
Joined the wrong forum?
Dashnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2022, 18:20   #5
starbug2
This is my second home

Silver Rover 75 Tourer Club SE CDTI + MGF 1.8 in BRG

I have a ZS auto 1Lt 3 cylinder TURBO facelift a very nice drive I expect the EV to be fair . Good room in the car which will be the same in the EV

now with 2020 MG ZS 1Lt TURBO engine with automatic 6 speed gearbox to help keep the 75 and MG F going as long as possible
starbug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2022, 23:03   #6
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

Took ours out for a spin

Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1646694136584.jpg (34.5 KB, 131 views)
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2022, 20:26   #7
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

That time of the month again well 7 weeks Time to balance the traction pack.
I put it on charge around dinner time on the lowest setting of 10amp on the Fenkee adjustable charge in the garage to charge it up slowly from between half to three quarters full to full, It took 14.366kWh to fully charge it well 96.2% which is the upper buffer to protect the battery pack which cost £2.80

The car will get used first thing tomorrow to go & pick our daughters car up so as not to let it sit with a 100% charge for too long. The cells are balanced perfick reading Min 4.2 / Max 4.22

Still being in Winter months but with milder weather lately the range is creeping back up with just 6 miles off the original range of 163 miles.

Last edited by Lancpudn; 11th March 2022 at 20:29..
Old 13th March 2022, 09:38   #8
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

I’m looking to go EV next as I’m due to change the main car later this year and I can’t get my head round the cell balancing when charged to 100%. I work with another manufacturer and cell balancing is happening all the time whilst the battery has charge. I can’t seem to find an answer why MG’s only do it at 100%?

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2022, 10:45   #9
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
I’m looking to go EV next as I’m due to change the main car later this year and I can’t get my head round the cell balancing when charged to 100%. I work with another manufacturer and cell balancing is happening all the time whilst the battery has charge. I can’t seem to find an answer why MG’s only do it at 100%?

MG Motors recommend balancing the battery pack around once a month in the handbook, You will get a warning message on the dash to slow charge the vehicle to balance battery pack or words to that effect, The longer you leave it the longer it will take to balance.

We don't use the car daily so the only time I fully charge to 100% is to carry out this procedure although not strictly on a monthly basis.

All the other times it's kept between 70%-80% charged. If you're plugging in every night to fully charge it for the next days usage it will do the balancing automatically,

Once the car reaches 100% the pulsating MG logo goes to fully lit to show it's balancing the pack, Depending on how out of balance it is depends on the length of time it will take, From reading other peoples comments it seems to take longer if you have been rapid charging it frequently.

Edit: Just found this which explains it better than I did.

Balance charge.

The manual also states on page 292-293 in the Maintenance section paragraph 3, that it is "recommended" "where possible" to carry out a "9-hour slow charge every month to extend the service life of the high voltage battery". This is a maintenance Balance charge which allows the Battery Management System or BMS to balance the voltages across the cells in the pack (108 cells in the ZS). In reality this can take upwards of thirty minutes (30 minutes) after Fully Charge State of Charge (100% SOC) has been reached. [There is a maximum voltage difference that can be Balance in any on session and I believe the maximum time in one session the BMS will do the Balance charge is 6 hours but @MilesperkWh can correct me on that]. During this "Balance charging," the charge rate drops the charging rate from 7 kW to trickle of about 300 watts (as I have described in other threads) and this allows the cells with lower voltage to continue to be trickle charged to "Balance up" or "Equalise" cell voltages in the pack. There is also a degree of balancing when driving from 100% SOC down to about 97% SOC. Balancing when charging though Only happens on AC charging ie on your Type 2 Cable and NOT on CCS DC Rapid chargers. A "Granny Charger" is also an AC charger.

Last edited by Lancpudn; 13th March 2022 at 10:50..
Old 13th March 2022, 18:31   #10
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

To be honest I don't really put too much thought into charging, just plug in and go. Ours does get charged to 100% every night so has plenty of chance to balance.