Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd November 2012, 19:07   #1
rumpelstiltskin
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.0 CDT

Default Rear wheel can be turned back and forth with handbrake on??

Had the rear of my car jacked up the other day doing a bit of welding.With the rear wheel on and up off the ground with the handbrake on i could turn the wheel backwards and forwards about three or four inches each way with the handbrake full on??After the travel it would jam solid as it should be.How can that be possible?I looked at the pads/caliper and they weren't moving?? It's a similar feel to if you have a car in gear and you turn the drive wheel back and forwards with the wheel off the ground.I told my mate about it who also has a 75 and he said was it the drivers side rear and i said yes,his does the same?But he said the passenger side on his didn't do it(i never checked mine)Anyone any ideas?Thanks.
rumpelstiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2012, 20:22   #2
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

Thread moved to the Technical Help Forum, redirect left in the old location.
pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2012, 21:06   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

As car salesman tell you - they all do that. There are several threads on the subject.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2012, 22:50   #4
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumpelstiltskin View Post
I looked at the pads/caliper and they weren't moving??
Lee,

Just to let you know that the handbrake operates a drum brake using separate shoes, so you won't see the pads moving.

Your handbrake would probably benefit from adjustment. Additionally due to poor design the compensator stretches but a couple of club members offer a modification to cure this (search for posts by Harry and Arctic).

Simon.
Old 23rd November 2012, 23:03   #5
rover54
Retired

rover 75 v6 Auto Conn. SE 54 plate LPG and 2006 Rover 75 v6 Auto LPG , 1.8 r75 Manual

MGR decided to fit a rubber band just behind the handbrake lever; it need replacing with something more substantial and other members have developed improved 'rubber bands'. Arctic is your man when it come to handbrakes.
rover54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2012, 10:51   #6
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Quote:
Had the rear of my car jacked up the other day doing a bit of welding..
Welding ?
Old 24th November 2012, 12:40   #7
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Had the rear of my car jacked up the other day doing a bit of welding.With the rear wheel on and up off the ground with the handbrake on i could turn the wheel backwards and forwards about three or four inches each way with the handbrake full on??After the travel it would jam solid as it should be.How can that be possible?I looked at the pads/caliper and they weren't moving?? It's a similar feel to if you have a car in gear and you turn the drive wheel back and forwards with the wheel off the ground.I told my mate about it who also has a 75 and he said was it the drivers side rear and i said yes,his does the same?But he said the passenger side on his didn't do it(i never checked mine)Anyone any ideas?Thanks.
Many do seem to have some movement at the wheel with the handbrake applied, but 3 to 4 inches seems excessive. So far as I know, no one has managed to work out where the play is, but 1/2" seems more usual.

The handbrake operates shoes in a drum, not the disk and and pads you can see. It might be worth checking the adjustment at each drum and definately checking the compensator for stretch under the centre console.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2012, 12:54   #8
rumpelstiltskin
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.0 CDT

Ah right,i thought everyone was going daft there for a second,or i was the only one with disc brakes on the back of my 75 lol.Couldn't understand all the folk going on about drums??Right,a bit more jiggery pokery to do then.My mates 75 handbrake had his adjustment fully taken up at the front and i told him about the mod on the front lever bracket,looked at his bracket and it was fine!It needed slight adjustment at last MOT and he just done it for me to get it through,might have a little shifty at it as new MOT,s in a couple of weeks.
Yes,i did mention the 'W' word.It's one of those places that none of you would probably even look at but there was a hole needed welded right where the rear suspension arm bolts up to the chassis,couldn't believe it!Bit of a pig to weld as filler neck bends around where it was but managed to loosen neck and not start any fires!!
rumpelstiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2012, 13:53   #9
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Pop the discs off and clean and adjust the shoes correctly and they should be fine...
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2012, 14:11   #10
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

Balance the adjustment on both Drums, take the adjustment up till the shoes bite then slacken off a notch and ensure free movement. Even correctly adjusted there is some play in the drum..
pab is offline   Reply With Quote