Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 30th March 2008, 16:11   #1
ZZR400

MG ZT-T 190+

Default zt-t towbars

hi.
can any body tell me wich is the best type of tow bar to fit my zt-z or dose any one have one for sale.
i have read on the forum that the best electrics to fit are the mg-rover ones, where is the best place to get these and dose the kit do both scokets (12n/12s) or will i need more than one kit.

many thanks.

stephen.
ZZR400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 07:05   #2
moonstoneboy
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE CDT Tourer - naturally in Moonstone Green

Stephen

I fitted the Towsure bar and then added the removable ball.

The Rover electrics kit is the best to use - purchasable from any Rover MG X Part dealer (see this website for dealers).

There are 2 kits available - 1 for 12N & 12S and one for the 13 pin. The kit is all you need - the sockets are prewired.

At the front there is a single connection. Depending on the VIN number you might need an additional link which costs about £5. The dealer will be able to tell you whether you need it or not.

Paul
moonstoneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 12:17   #3
Hampton Caught
Loves to post

ex MG ZT-T (sob!), Rover 25 and TR7 dhc pilot, but not all at the same time!

Stephen,

My ZT-T has a Witter removable towbar fitted (in a hurry as I hadn't done my homework and needed to tow the caravan 3 days after buying the car) and would not particularly recommend it for two reasons;

1) The part that's permanently attached to the car sits quite low to the ground and there's not too much ground clearance anyway. Cue graunching noises as you ground out.

2) You can't lock the towbar in place (on mine, anyway) without the trailer fitted, so it needs to be removed by me before someone else does.

Other than that it does what it's meant to, but the 'Brink' tow bars (which were the official MGR accessory) are much neater.

I would endose the previous statement about the MGR electrics. They use the dashboard light to show the trailer indicators are working (a good thing) and cut out the reversing sensors when you're towing (a very good thing). Only wish mine had the MGR electrics, but as I said, I didn't do my homework!

Hope that helps, Steve
Hampton Caught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 14:34   #4
ZZR400

MG ZT-T 190+

Cool

thanks for the advice now i have a better idea i will price the parts up before i get anymore agro from the rest of the family as they want to use the caravan.

cheers.
stephen
ZZR400 is offline   Reply With Quote