Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd May 2008, 23:53   #1
48rov06
Loves to post

75 connoisseur se cdti tourer 2006 tempest grey

Question towbar wiring

has anyone fitted a towbar .Whats it like to wire has the tourer got a wiring plug .Will a flange type interfere with rear sensors.
48rov06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2008, 00:22   #2
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

There are lots of threads on this subject. Basically it is OK to wire the standard wiring into the existing system The only problem seems to be that you need a "black box" if you want to wire a caravan supply (second plug). The sensors do detect a towed caravan/trailer, but only in reverse. I did it on mine and no problem with reverse, except the incessant "beeb, beep" :lol:

Oops crossed posts

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2008, 00:49   #3
nisfo
Gets stuck in

Yes Dragrad, the black box is the Volton Combi box, its full of relays.

I'm certain there is a mod to disable the reverse sensors when you are towing. If not then I'm sure a how-to is needed.....I don't have reverse sensors yet, so I cant help.....
nisfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2008, 00:57   #4
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Yes, member 1708 There is probably a mod.... None that I am aware of though. But for general towing applications there is no real problem with a tow-bar and the parking sensors.

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2008, 01:22   #5
nisfo
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragrad View Post
Yes, member 1708 There is probably a mod.... None that I am aware of though. But for general towing applications there is no real problem with a tow-bar and the parking sensors.

LOL...OK maybe you could mod the back of the caravan and add reversing sensors.....No......maybe not......
nisfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2008, 07:23   #6
ZZR400

MG ZT-T 190+

Thumbs up

hi.
i fitted mine a couple of weeks ago with no problems . i bought the bar and all the electrics from towsure (http://www.towsure.com/) it cost me about £135 and took me about 4 hours to fit and wire, most of the time was spent running two wires from the front to the back of the car for the split charge and bypass relays. mine is a fixed towbar but the advantage with the towsure one is that if i want i can buy a kit at any time to turn it into a removable one.
when fitted at first i had a warning light on the dash but the relays must be the learning type because after starting the car acouple of times it went out and everthing has been ok since.

towsure also do a kit to overide the parking sensors if fitted for when you are towing , idont no how good it is as i dident need it.

hope this helps.

stephen.
ZZR400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2008, 20:01   #7
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZR400 View Post
hi.
i fitted mine a couple of weeks ago with no problems . i bought the bar and all the electrics from towsure (http://www.towsure.com/) it cost me about £135 and took me about 4 hours to fit and wire, most of the time was spent running two wires from the front to the back of the car for the split charge and bypass relays. mine is a fixed towbar but the advantage with the towsure one is that if i want i can buy a kit at any time to turn it into a removable one.
when fitted at first i had a warning light on the dash but the relays must be the learning type because after starting the car acouple of times it went out and everthing has been ok since.

towsure also do a kit to overide the parking sensors if fitted for when you are towing , idont no how good it is as i dident need it.

hope this helps.

stephen.
Just fitted mine to my saloon, it's a Witter I bought from Les at SMC, so it DIDN'T cost me £135!!

The electrics just had a buzzer unit (a warning to alert the driver about indicator failure is required by law), but I was advised to have a multiplex relay as the 75 has a bulb failure system, which could damaged if say a trailer bulb blew. As Stephen said, taking the power from, and providing a lead for the light to, the front of the car took the most time.

For the parking sensors, if it's a problem (they don't "see" the towbar, so it's only the trailer or the bike rack that I need to worry about) I'll fit a switch. I've bought a hazard light switch, and intend putting it in a spare slot alongside the cruise etc switches.

Malcolm
baxlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2008, 20:51   #8
kevin
I really should get out more.......

ford focus ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48rov06 View Post
has anyone fitted a towbar .Whats it like to wire has the tourer got a wiring plug .Will a flange type interfere with rear sensors.
I have a tow bar that came of a tourer. (got from ebay) no wiring with but if you would like it and live near the M25. you can have it for what I paid £45.

if you do let me know and I will see if I can find all, some where in the back of the garage.
kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2008, 18:36   #9
48rov06
Loves to post

75 connoisseur se cdti tourer 2006 tempest grey

Thanks guys looked on towsure web site .Seems straightforward thinking of running feed from battery underside in a 8mm plastic tube did this on mondeo (company car not mine) worked ok .fixed it with number plate pads .
48rov06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2008, 21:00   #10
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48rov06 View Post
thinking of running feed from battery underside in a 8mm plastic tube did this on mondeo (company car not mine) worked ok .fixed it with number plate pads .
That could well be fine for the power, but as I also wanted the warning light rather than the buzzer, I had to put one wire from the boot to the dash area, and putting two in was no harder.

But where do you put a warning light on the dash? I'm not aware there's one to tap into, so what I did was to buy one of the round warning lights that fit into approx 15mm hole - I chose green to match the indicator dash lights - this was a loose fit (but tightened up with a layer of tape) in 15mm copper tube. I cut a piece about 70 - 80mm long, disguised with black insulting tape, and this is positioned in the angle/join between the side of the centre console and the driver's side under-dash moulding, with the light "pointing" up at the driver.

I held it in place with a soft alloy "P" shaped clip, a larger version of the ones used to secure brake pipes. With the tail pushed up into the panel join, it holds itself in place. Obviously the wires also disappear into the join.

The result is that I have not had to drill the car, nor do I have an obviously aftermarket warning light, and it's easily removable if I change the car.

This is the third car I've used this method on.

Malcolm
baxlin is offline   Reply With Quote