Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th August 2008, 12:31   #1
black olive
I really should get out more.......

260 SE vin 214 ( last mark 1 260 )

Default back from our first caravan trip

had a couple of "eventful" days away.
Bought the van a bit ago and have found a nice little 5 van site an hour up the road.
so we set off sunday- first junction we stop at requires a bit of a hill start. Tried to set off and wouldnt go, one vague smell of burning clutch later I realise the caravan anti roll back brakes had siezed on !!!
got out and pulled the van handbrake on and off and this seemed to release it, so off we went.

now bearing in mind this is my first towing trip with the caravan, the route we went up to the site the other week contained a couple of very tight blind bends on a single track road, with drystone walls and stone barns either side, swiftly followed by a single track steep uphill for a couple of miles, so I had planned a route that approaced the site from the other direction, of course the missus missed a turn on the map so guess the approach we ended up taking after all my careful planning

anyway- thats my baptism of fire sorted- If I can tow there I can tow anywhere - just a good job none of the yokels were coming the other way- of course they know the roads and hoon around like the dukes of hazzard .

got the van set up no bother, and was soon calming my shattered nerves with a cup of tea.

sunday evening and into the night was very blustery and rainy, but made it cosier somehow.

On Monday I had returned from drenching the dog, to be met with the news " the waters gone off"

now the water system on a modern van consists of a submersible in tank water pump, controlled by a pressure switch, and a mains/gas heater.

being of a technical turn of mind I quickly deduced that the microswitch in the pressure switch was papped- so went to pick one up ( and called in at home for lunch/ showers).

stripped down and refitted the pressure switch ( in the pouring rain), and got the water up and running so thought I would have a quick look at the heater as it had a slight drip down the outside of the van.

now the heater needs filling before use, and has a drain plug and a fast drain plug for when the system is not in use over winter, to prevent frost damage. The fast drain appeared to be leaking on the O ring, no problem I thought- whip it out and new O ring it will be fine.

touched the valve to start unscrewing it, and it literally fell apart in my hands ( the unit is made of a nylon type plastic) leaving the threaded portion still in the heater body.

here is where the swear filter would come in useful.

so ended up carefully chipping away with a small screwdriver and hammer to remove the plastic without knackering the threads in the heater body. then I was stuck with what to plug the hole with. anyway, used a bit of the valve that had the right thread on it, but a hole thorugh the moddle, and blocked the hole up with a nut and bolt, and self amalgamating tape, and them screwed it into the heater body with a bit of silicon round the threads.

so that sorted it, and Ive managed to source a replacement valve, to be fitted on the next trip up there.

Ah, the joys of caravanning.

on the plus side, despite the constant rain, Kids, wife and dog enjoyed the change of scenery/ routine, and cant wait to get up there again, the caravan is now in undercover storage at the site, so anytime we want to go up we just give them a ring and they will site it on a pitch- so no more towing for a while- we can nip up in the mini. , and Ive got my drive back, so I can play with my cars again.
Old 13th August 2008, 13:04   #2
windrush
This is my second home

December 2004 Rover 75 2ltr CDTi Connoisseur SE HL Tourer

Thanked 3,015 Times in 2,347 Posts

Well done Steve and welcome to the world of caravanning
Club Member No. 96 / Forum User No. 111
REGISTRATION to the club as a member FREE, FULL MEMBERSHIP is £10

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2008, 14:30   #3
GrahamP
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Club Automatic

Welcome to the Joys and baptism of Caravanning.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GrahamP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2008, 14:49   #4
superporky
Regular poster

rover 75 saloon 1.8 petrol.

I`ll stick to my tent!
Old 14th August 2008, 13:18   #5
black olive
I really should get out more.......

260 SE vin 214 ( last mark 1 260 )

you'd have got trench foot staying in a tent
Old 14th August 2008, 13:46   #6
Ken
Busy doing nothing!

I tried it once and can honestly say caravaning is not for me

I like the idea but its doing it that I can't be bothered with, the towing would not be a problem but all the setting up would get to me. I like to be able to walk into a room unpack and then go out after a cup of tea. Don't get me wrong I am not knocking it for those that enjoy it but its not for me :lol:

Now where is that hotel brochure?

I have always fancied a decent sized motor home would that need setting up and packing away like a caravan does? I know its not practical not having another means of transport when away but I think I could live with that IF there is no packing up involved.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2008, 13:50   #7
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

I find having a proper 37ft x 12ft Double glazed, Centrally heated, Static Caravan is the answer in your favourite holiday location/s.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote