Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The Chinese Cars - MG7 and Roewe 750 > NAC & SAIC
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th June 2007, 09:22   #1
MartinW

MG TF LE500

Default AutoExpress first drive of the Roewe 750

AutoExpress

Quote:
The Roewe 750E is proof that Chinese car manufacturers are capable of producing more than simply cheap imitations
By Mark Andrews June 2007

We've taken the wrong way on a test drive... but it was no mistake. That's because Auto Express has had exclusive access to the new Roewe - pronounced 'wrong way' - to see if the Chinese car can compete with the UK's best family saloons.

Our drive of the Rover 75-inspired 750E also comes hot on the heels of our first taste of the MG7, from Nanjing Automobile Company, which is also based on the British car.

Roewe's model, however, is built and engineered independently of the Nanjing-owned MG model. The 750E is a redeveloped 75, and is to be made on a dedicated production line being constructed by the manufacturer.

Two versions of the newcomer will be available, and they can be identified by their different front grilles. Top-spec models like the car we drove get a larger, more aggressive nose, while the base model in our main pictures looks more conservative. At the rear they are exactly the same, though, and the old 75's tail-lights have been revised.

On top of these tweaks, there is a bigger boot and a longer body - both of these changes have been made to improve the Roewe's practicality. But while overall length has increased by 116mm to 4,865mm, the kerbweight has gone down by 5kg to 1,585kg.

With no official test model available, we picked up our demonstrator from a franchised Roewe dealer in China, and were instantly impressed by the generally high standard of build quality. Our only criticism concerns the panel gaps, as the fitting of the front wings was inconsistent among the models in the showroom.

Inside, the cabin has been neatly trimmed and, as we swapped from the front to the rear seats, it became clear that there's more room for passengers than in the Rover. This is due to a 100mm increase in the wheelbase, taking it to 2,849mm.

Buyers initially have the choice of only two variants: the entry-level D or high-spec 750E. A third, the 750i, is set to join the line-up later in the year. Only one interior trim and five colours are available, although the cabin in our 750E is very tastefully finished.

The electrically adjustable seats, trimmed in cream Canadian leather, are supportive and comfortable, while wood detailing is fitted to the steering wheel, gearstick and doors.

Rear seats are comfortable and feature a large armrest, which folds down to reveal a drinks-holder and cubbyhole. But the centre passenger has to make do with a lapbelt - and that's not the only surprising omission from the model's kit tally.

While there is an LCD display in the centre console for use with the reversing camera and DVD player, sat-nav costs extra. You get MP3 and Bluetooth connectivity, but the cabin is fitted with only two airbags. The Roewe sales executive told us this was to save money, which was then reallocated to cover the cost of steel strengthening in the doors!

Under the bonnet, the 750E uses an improved version of Rover's old 2.5-litre V6. This is mated to a five-speed triple-mode automatic transmis-sion. The engine gives a reassuring growl when pushed, but is otherwise smooth and fairly responsive. Other powerplant options are due to be offered in the UK, while a hybrid model is also under development.

On the road, the Roewe provides a comfortable ride, even over bumpy, pothholed road surfaces. As with the old 75, the Chinese model has light and accurate steering. Driving aids such as Electronic Brakeforce Distribution and Vehicle Stability Control have been included, too.

When the 750 initially goes on sale in the UK next year, it will wear a SsangYong badge until a network of Roewe dealers is established - a process scheduled to happen in 2010. And on this evidence, British buyers have plenty to look forward to.
MartinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2007, 17:26   #2
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Well well, nice to see proper reports of an actual production vehicle

I wonder how they got the engine in that way round! I guess they had to do something like that to convert it to left hand drive
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2007, 18:18   #3
Mike
This is my second home

Rover 75 V8

See the XPart news thread for information on how little compatibility this car has with ours...................

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...newpost&t=6684
Old 5th July 2007, 08:35   #4
Roger1
Loves to post

2004 Rover 75 Conn SE 2.5 Tourer; 2022 MG HS; 2021 MG ZST

Not my cup of tea. Not ugly. obviously, but there is something odd about it. Perhaps the extra length, and the Beemer style boot treatment? Looks CHINESE!
Roger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2007, 09:26   #5
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Wait for the MG7 looks a much better bet!
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2007, 14:53   #6
pshuttle
Avid contributor

BMW G20 320d. Previously, Rover 75 2.0 CDT Club SE and CDT Classic

I disagree. I like the stronger interior and more modern internal styling of the Roewe 750 but would want a diesel engine offered before I would consider buying one.

And what a nice color the AutoExpress vehicle was!

Pete

Last edited by pshuttle; 6th July 2007 at 15:12..
pshuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2007, 17:23   #7
Jamie
Posted a thing or two

In Limbo

Oh My GOD....branded as a Ssanyong??? have these people absolutley no brains???

I only hope the MG folks have their thinking heads on!