Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th February 2008, 21:31   #11
ragitty
I really should get out more.......

Jeep Cherokee Orvis

The basics:

All caravans or trailer must have rear reflectors - some need front reflectors but this depends on their age and width.

All caravans or trailers must have a full set of lights as required on the car, including VRM plate. However, a fog light is only required for trailers or caravans over a certain width.

Each motor vehicle has a maximum trailer weight, maximum axle weights and a GTW (gross train weight) - exceeding any one of these is an offence.

Any caravan or trailer weiging over 750Kgs must be braked - whether this is on all axles depends on the age of the trailer.

The caravan or trailer, if braked, must have a breakaway cable attached - so that if the trailer seperates from the vehicle, the cable pulls the brake on and then snaps off. This cable must not be attached to the towball or towbar. This, again, is not required for very old trailers (pre 1981 I think it was).

Additionally, some drivers (typically those who passed their test after 1st Jan 1997) can only drive a GTW of 3500Kgs, compared to someone who passed a day earlier being able to drive with a GTW of 7500Kgs.

Restrictions for those who passed their test after 1/1/97 are that they are limited to a maximum trailer weight of 750Kgs, unless the towing vehicle (unladen) weights the same or more than the trailer (laden) - AND the whole thing (GTW) is not to exceed 3500Kgs.

I'm sure I've missed something out, but that's most of it. It's a minefield with lots of little rules and no-one seems to know them all.

Last edited by ragitty; 19th February 2008 at 21:35..
ragitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2008, 21:46   #12
ragitty
I really should get out more.......

Jeep Cherokee Orvis

Category B vehicles may be coupled with a trailer up to 750kgs MAM (allowing a combined weight up to 4.25 tonnes MAM) or a trailer over 750kgs MAM provided the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes MAM.

For example:

a vehicle with an unladen weight of 1.25 tonnes and a MAM of 2 tonnes coupled with a trailer with a MAM of 1.25 tonnes could be driven by the holder of a category B entitlement. This is because the MAM of the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes and also the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle
Whereas

the same vehicle with an unladen weight of 1.25 tonnes and a MAM of 2 tonnes when coupled with a trailer with a MAM of 1.5 tonnes would fall within category B+E. This is because although the combined weight of the vehicle and trailer is within the 3.5 tonnes MAM limit, the MAM of the trailer is more than the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle
Vehicle manufacturers normally recommend a maximum weight of trailer appropriate to their vehicle. Details can usually be found in the vehicle's handbook or obtained from car dealerships. The size of the trailer recommended for an average family car with an unladen weight of around 1 tonne would be well within the new category B threshold.
Towing caravans
As for towing caravans, existing general guidance recommends that the laden weight of the caravan does not exceed 85% of the unladen weight of the car. In the majority of cases, caravans and small trailers towed by cars should be within the new category B threshold.

An exemption from the driver licensing trailer limit allows a category B licence holder to tow a broken down vehicle from a position where it would otherwise cause danger or obstruction to other road users.

By passing a category B test national categories F (tractor), K (pedestrian controlled vehicle) and P (moped) continue to be added automatically.
Category B+E: Vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes MAM towing trailers over 750kgs MAM
Category B+E allows vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes MAM to be combined with trailers in excess of 750kgs MAM. In order to gain this entitlement new category B licence holders have to pass a further practical test for category B+E. There is no category B+E theory test. For driver licensing purposes there are no vehicle/trailer weight ratio limits for category B+E.
Old 20th February 2008, 14:47   #13
mr_cs
Regular poster

2003 Rover 75 CDTi Saloon

Default Towing with a Rover 75

I have owned a Rover 75 for about 8 years now, the latest a CDTi for about 4 years. I have been towing a caravan for about 25 years. There is no doubt that a Rover 75 is a good car for towing, albeit not ideal. Something that you should be aware of is the distance from the tow bar to the rear wheels. The consequence is that even when towing within the 85% rule (a must as far as I am concerned) you will probably see the rear of the car and the front of the van dipping, which is not a good idea for overall stability. On my current Rover I have fitted additional, stronger springs which have greatly remedied the problem. I believe that the Tourer was fitted with an adjustable suspension to assist with this.

The other point that I would make is that you can fit an electrical gizmo in the boot that will prevent the reversing sensors (if fitted) going off incessantly when reversing the van. It does that this by switching them off if the gizmo senses an additional reversing light operating.

Colin
mr_cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2008, 15:05   #14
windrush
This is my second home

December 2004 Rover 75 2ltr CDTi Connoisseur SE HL Tourer

Thanked 3,015 Times in 2,347 Posts

[QUOTE=mr_cs;148961]I have owned a Rover 75 for about 8 years now, the latest a CDTi for about 4 years. I have been towing a caravan for about 25 years. There is no doubt that a Rover 75 is a good car for towing, albeit not ideal. Something that you should be aware of is the distance from the tow bar to the rear wheels. The consequence is that even when towing within the 85% rule (a must as far as I am concerned) you will probably see the rear of the car and the front of the van dipping, which is not a good idea for overall stability. On my current Rover I have fitted additional, stronger springs which have greatly remedied the problem. I believe that the Tourer was fitted with an adjustable suspension to assist with this.

The other point that I would make is that you can fit an electrical gizmo in the boot that will prevent the reversing sensors (if fitted) going off incessantly when reversing the van. It does that this by switching them off if the gizmo senses an additional reversing light operating.

My tourer has self leveling rear suspension and tow bar fitted at Longbridge as new so the reverse sensors do not operate while towing also i have been towing regular since 1967 when I brought my first caravan and had towing experience in the services towing all sorts of vehicles including guns
Club Member No. 96 / Forum User No. 111
REGISTRATION to the club as a member FREE, FULL MEMBERSHIP is £10

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2008, 19:32   #15
johnnyallan
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi 03

Talking Towing

I tow a twin wheeler caravan with ease, your maximum weight for towing is 1600 kilogrames, there should be no problems what-so-ever.
johnnyallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2008, 05:51   #16
moonstoneboy
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE CDT Tourer - naturally in Moonstone Green

And if you fit the Rover wiring kit it automatically kills the reversing sensors when towing
moonstoneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2008, 12:51   #17
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonstoneboy View Post
And if you fit the Rover wiring kit it automatically kills the reversing sensors when towing
And if you don't, it's dead easy to fit a switch so you can do it manually.
Old 18th September 2008, 13:13   #18
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

Default To brake or not to brake.............

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd ask a towing question on this one.........

I understand the kerb weight of my 2002 CDT manual is 1485 kg, making the max safe towing limit of 85% 1262kg.

I'm thinking about towing the JZR, either on a dolly or full trailer. The JZR weighs around 400kgs, and I understand the unbraked trailer total weight limit is 750kgs, or 50% of the towing vehicle's Kerb weight, 742kgs, which is near enough the unbraked limit.

Assuming that the trailer or dolly will weigh less than 342 kgs (742 less 400)
am I likely to fall foul of the law, either the road laws, or the laws of physics - ie will I be legal and safe - if the trailer is unbraked?

Last edited by baxlin; 18th September 2008 at 14:16.. Reason: spelling
baxlin is offline   Reply With Quote