Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th June 2008, 20:51   #1
Mark_from_Essex

Rover 75 CDT saloon

Default Towing with a 75 CDT

Hi all

We are thinking of getting a caravan and will be having a towbar fitted to the car shortly (02 75 CDT manual saloon). I am not even going to attempt to do it myself and have found a reputable local firm who will supply and fit a twin electrics tow bar for £210 + VAT which seems competitive. The guy I spoke to said that in his experience of fitting to 75's, a towbar shouldn't interfere with the reversing sensors - does anyone have any experience of this happening? Also is there anything I should be aware of with a 75 and towing a caravan, other than the usual car to caravan weight ratios? Just wondered if there were any unusual quirks to be aware of?! Thanks, Mark.
Mark_from_Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2008, 20:55   #2
tigerchubs
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT+ in Yorkshire Gold

Reverse sensors only beep when reversing no other problems. What a fantastic towcar particularly when tuning box is fitted.
Old 5th June 2008, 21:09   #3
Mark_from_Essex

Rover 75 CDT saloon

Thanks for that. Apologies if I didn't make myself clear in my original post - I realise that the sensors are only activated when reverse gear is engaged, however my concern was, will they sensors be going off every time I select reverse because of the tow-ball, or will they miss it? They seem quite high up the bumper to me so hopefully they will. The tow bar fitting guy said it shouldn't be picked up by the sensors so hopefully it will be OK....
Old 6th June 2008, 06:36   #4
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_from_Essex View Post
Thanks for that. Apologies if I didn't make myself clear in my original post - I realise that the sensors are only activated when reverse gear is engaged, however my concern was, will they sensors be going off every time I select reverse because of the tow-ball, or will they miss it? They seem quite high up the bumper to me so hopefully they will. The tow bar fitting guy said it shouldn't be picked up by the sensors so hopefully it will be OK....
If you haven't fitted the Rover towbar wiring kit then the reverse sensors will only bleep when you are revesing with the van hitched, and without the van or trailer hitched on there will be no problems with the towbar interfering with the reverse sensors.
The Rover towbar wiring kit has a special switch fitted in the trailer plug that switches off the the reversing sensors when hooked up with a van or trailer. Your wiring kit if it is non Rover may have this feature I don't know?

Last edited by JohnDotCom; 6th June 2008 at 07:33..
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2008, 08:43   #5
Mark_from_Essex

Rover 75 CDT saloon

Excellent, thats what I wanted to hear, thanks Lovel. I suspect the tow bar firm will not be fitting a Rover wiring kit but to be honest if it is only affected whilst the van is hitched on then I can suffer that as I intend to keep reversing to a minimum when hitched up! Thanks for the info.
Old 6th June 2008, 09:32   #6
windrush
This is my second home

December 2004 Rover 75 2ltr CDTi Connoisseur SE HL Tourer

Thanked 3,015 Times in 2,347 Posts

You have one of the best if not the best towcar I have towed with my Rover 75 2.0 CDTI since new in 2004 and I tow a Bailey Indiana at max load of 1500kgs with no problems at all the good thing about the 75 is that the tow ball will take 100kgs and also if you fit a roof rack that will also take 100 kgs which I think that you would have a job to find another saloon to do the same I have had no trouble with the reverse sensors but then my tow bar was fitted by MGROVER at Longbridge Good luck with your caravanning I have been doing it since my first caravan in 1967
Club Member No. 96 / Forum User No. 111
REGISTRATION to the club as a member FREE, FULL MEMBERSHIP is £10

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2008, 11:55   #7
DerekS
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Hi Mark, If you are worried about reverse beeping, there are 7 pin sockets with a connection that will cut off the reversing lights (and presumably the beepers too) when a caravan plug is inserted. The light cut off is more important than the beeps, it can dazzle in the mirrors. My sensors are not Rover ones and they dont see the ball fittings.
I towed our Bailey Ranger (380 2B .. ok smallish I know) with the 2.0 cdt, as standard, from Cheshire via Cherbourg / Gibraltar/ Bilbao/Cheshire without any problems. In fact I had to concentrate to keep the speed down to 65 ish on the long boring straights. .
Its a great towcar, I hope you have good times with yours.
DerekS is offline   Reply With Quote