Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th June 2008, 19:11   #1
bluenose66
Loves to post

MG ZT CDTI+ 135 Auto -Intake Mod 2 - EGR Bypass

Default Question For Caravan Owners

My wife on the way home was involved in a RTA with a ' runaway ' caravan that had become ' unhiched ' from the towing vehicle. It collided with her car head on and has written her car off. Luckily this caravan was only doing about 30mph, would hate to witness the result on a dual carriageway or heaven forbid motorway.

Anyway question to any caravan owners, what would cause the van to become unhiched like this ?. I have personally never heard of this before.
bluenose66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2008, 19:18   #2
ragitty
I really should get out more.......

Jeep Cherokee Orvis

Sorry to hear about your accident, hopefully everyone is ok, I have worked in the caravan industry for the past 25 years or so, there are a couple of things that could allow the caravan to seperate from the towing vehicle.

Firstly the caravan was not hitched onto the towball correctly and by the sound of it the breakaway cable was not attached. this cable is independant and attached to the brake line of the caravan so in the event of a seperation the caravans handbrake is automatically pulled on.

Secondly the hitch somehow has broken away from the shaft or the towball away from the backing plate.

There could be many explanations but they are the two that I would be looking at.

Give windrush (derek) a shout he has been caravanning for many years and may be able to advise you further.
Old 14th June 2008, 19:20   #3
actros
Subscribed Member

20lt 75conny se Damson red

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenose66 View Post
My wife on the way home was involved in a RTA with a ' runaway ' caravan that had become ' unhiched ' from the towing vehicle. It collided with her car head on and has written her car off. Luckily this caravan was only doing about 30mph, would hate to witness the result on a dual carriageway or heaven forbid motorway.

Anyway question to any caravan owners, what would cause the van to become unhiched like this ?. I have personally never heard of this before.
The only thing i can put it down to they had not hiched it up corectly and it should not have got away he had not got his safty cable on iether so he must be a nunpty. The modern vans have a indecator on them to show you thats it hitch on.
Old 14th June 2008, 19:37   #4
ragitty
I really should get out more.......

Jeep Cherokee Orvis

you may find this link of interest which will give you some explanation of how the system works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAZMqOzdJA4
Old 14th June 2008, 19:48   #5
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Got to agree with above, almost certainly human error. The hitch could be forgetfully placed ontop of the ball and not Locked on. It is possible to tow in a straight line like this but as soon as you come to a bend it tends to let go .....(don't ask)

Only other thing is tow ball breaking and safety brake wire being incorrectly positioned anound the ball. In effect if the ball broke the safety brake would not enguage.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2008, 21:59   #6
stef_uk
Gets stuck in

ZT75

am i right in saying if the van wasn't hooked up to the tow car it wasn't insured unless the van has its own policy?
Old 14th June 2008, 22:12   #7
Jamie
Posted a thing or two

In Limbo

Ex caravan owner here....

Most modern caravans have a friction type tow hitch which has to tightened onto the tow ball, if left loose the hitch does not grip the ball and a caravan can then start to fishtale, if the ball is a little worn it can easily pull off the ball altogether.

but having said that I agree with the above, most likely cause is a combination of poor maintence and human error, in any case you have cause for a claim...but against the car insurance or the caravan insurance...not sure.

was your wife Ok???
Old 15th June 2008, 12:42   #8
bluenose66
Loves to post

MG ZT CDTI+ 135 Auto -Intake Mod 2 - EGR Bypass

Thanks for the replies and advice folks. The other parties insurance have accepted full responsibility for the accident. Wife is very stiff and in a lot of pain in neck area. Children who were in the back suffered from seat belt bruising and shock. Wife has said she won't go out next Friday the 13th !!
bluenose66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2008, 12:48   #9
windrush
This is my second home

December 2004 Rover 75 2ltr CDTi Connoisseur SE HL Tourer

Thanked 3,015 Times in 2,347 Posts

I can only add to what has all ready been said the modern car and caravan are quite safe really it only lack of maintenance and lack of care that does causes rare accidents with caravans
Club Member No. 96 / Forum User No. 111
REGISTRATION to the club as a member FREE, FULL MEMBERSHIP is £10

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2008, 14:05   #10
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenose66 View Post
Thanks for the replies and advice folks. The other parties insurance have accepted full responsibility for the accident. Wife is very stiff and in a lot of pain in neck area. Children who were in the back suffered from seat belt bruising and shock. Wife has said she won't go out next Friday the 13th !!
Could have been really nasty that John by the sounds of it.
Hope it all works out OK.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident

Last edited by stocktake; 15th June 2008 at 18:43..
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote