Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th May 2021, 12:10   #1
rrr
Regular poster

2001 75 1.8 LHD, 2000 75 1.8 LHD

Default Is an upgrade of a 1.8 into 1.8T possible?

I would like to ask about the possibility of the following plan - I have a mothballed 2000 R75 1.8 in a very good condition which I bought some time ago just to save it. However, the engine has to be dismantled anyway as the head gasket has to be replaced (the original one still inside).
Now I can buy a 2005 1.8T with mileage of 130.000 km. The car is not very clean and I am not a fan of the facelift but I am tempted by the idea of fitting the 1.8T into the non-turbo car. I have already rebuilt 3 1.8 non-turbo K-engines, all of them running happily for several years in 2 of my 75s and an MGF. But I have never had a chance to strip down a 1.8 T. As far as my knowledge goes, there is a lot of different stuff (exhaust system, cooling system, bigger clutch) which has to be replaced, not mentioning the ECU's. Probably it is an insane idea, but if a complete car is available for the swap the upgrade would be probably viable.
If there is anybody with the experience of doing it (or finding the impossibility of it), I would be most thankful for reading about his experience.
rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2021, 16:53   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Hello Robert, the usual advice is to simply buy a 1.8T. The conversion would be very complex, but I guess it depends on how much work you're prepared to put into it. I think this forum search list will answer some of the questions.

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=013872...99.v5sEAr24TIM

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2021, 20:45   #3
rrr
Regular poster

2001 75 1.8 LHD, 2000 75 1.8 LHD

Thank you for your advice, T-Cut. Finding a reasonably sound 1.8T sounds to me sensible solution. Juts it is not easy to find one
I would not be afraid of an demanding project as I have successfully done several when I was younger and had more energy and enthusiasm Fitting a 2.2 Talbot Tagora engine with a 5 speed gearbox into a fully rebuilt Chrysler 180 (1.8 litre 4 Speed) has been the most challenging so far, but the the truth is that 1.8 upgrade makes not much sense these days and it is better to keep the mothballed car in original condition for future days.
Thanks again! Rgds, Robert
rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2021, 06:41   #4
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrr View Post
... but the the truth is ... it is better to keep the mothballed car in original condition for future days.

Yes, preserve your year 2000 1.8 Robert, particularly if it has Classic trim. As you'll know being a lifelong classic car enthusiast, the earlier, basic cars are the most interesting provided that they're in original condition.

Simon