Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st September 2021, 09:57   #21
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Simon - you've just complicated my life!

I personally am happy to use manual and auto ranging instruments. But would have thought that anyone making only occasional measurements would find an autoranging instrument more convenient.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2021, 17:52   #22
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogweed View Post
I take the view that mains is either on or off, and that’s all I need to know – more complicated than that and I’ll get a spark, as you say Alan.

But I love these little things, which answer the on/off question for me. I have one that’s about 40 years old, and still works fine – possibly still on the original battery

I also have a budget multimeter from the early 80’s, still going well – I think it might be on its original PP3 as well… if it has been replaced, I’m reckoning once in 40 odd years…
I do have one of those too (though not at the time - bought one for my dad and I when he and I rewired my sisters house together). I cannot get my head around how a screwdriver mains tester works - which is my dad's go to. The wiring by the way, was an old socket with a nest of wires and a loose earth, and I just brushed against a live terminal as I took the probe away. Like you, mains is always on or off for me, but I was assured the trip for that circuit was off (and it was the first time I worked on mains with a circuit only isolated - all or nothing now lol).

Also handy to have is one of THESE too, for confirming sockets.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2021, 18:00   #23
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post

The only additional comment I can add having read the other replies is that I would probably avoid an "auto ranging" device in favour of manual selection. A good meter will have overload protection and it's preferable, in my view, to retain control of what the meter is doing.

Simon
Absolutely the best piece of advice so far, you need to be in control of what you are checking.
I use a meter a lot at work and have three. A Fluke I purchased around 28 years ago for basic voltage and resistance checks, a Snap-On unit as either a back up or looking for parasitic drains using amps and a Megger for high voltage electric car stuff.

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2021, 18:52   #24
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Come on gents, we are only considering whether the user should set the range by twiddling a switch or the meter does it for you and tells you the value.

If we were discussing autonomous driving, I would agree. But this is pitifully basic stuff.

Of course, you are not in control of what you are checking - otherwise there would be no need to check it!

I think (respectfully) that you are making too much of an irrelevance.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote