Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th July 2020, 17:18   #1
Bullnose75
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer 2.0 V6 LPG

Default Tyre load rating

Need a set of 225/45R17 tyres for the Tourer. Last set had 91Y load rating.
Was thinking of getting next set with 94Y load rating as I carry quite a bit of weight in the Tourer now and then but wondered how much harder the ride would be with the higher load rating tyres fitted as I guess they have slightly harder sidewalls ?
What load rating tyres do you other Tourer guys fit ?
Bullnose75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2020, 18:05   #2
Devilish
Been round the block

75 Tourer

Unless you have the mother in law as a passenger, 91Y will be fine.

Correct, the sidewalls are stronger, it will handle better, and the ride may be a little stiffer, but I doubt if it will be that noticeable in the tourer.

Manufacturers can flaunt load indexes, you can buy a 91 that is as strong as a 94, you can buy a 94 that is as strong as a 91.

Unless you overload, that = driving with no insurance, 91Y will be fine.

Unless you want to elaborate on "Quite a bit of weight"

SWMBO drives mine, and I only have 91Y's

FYI, I will deny any of the above.

Last edited by Devilish; 24th July 2020 at 18:08..
Devilish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2020, 18:36   #3
rovertone
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Conne SE Auto CDTi

I found a slight improvement when I went from 94 to 91 on my saloon but I would still like to improve a bit more so next tyre change i am opting for 215/50/17 which Rover changed to on the Mk2s.
Gives 10mm less footprint width an extra 6.25mm wall height. Rover must have changed for a reason, they are a bit more expensive so |I would like to think it was for comfort rather than cost.
Worth a try me thinks.
Also 2004 Rover 25 SXi CVT, 1999 Megane Cabriolet and still missing my 800 Fastback
rovertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2020, 19:32   #4
Bullnose75
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilish View Post
Unless you have the mother in law as a passenger, 91Y will be fine.

Correct, the sidewalls are stronger, it will handle better, and the ride may be a little stiffer, but I doubt if it will be that noticeable in the tourer.

Manufacturers can flaunt load indexes, you can buy a 91 that is as strong as a 94, you can buy a 94 that is as strong as a 91.

Unless you overload, that = driving with no insurance, 91Y will be fine.

Unless you want to elaborate on "Quite a bit of weight"

SWMBO drives mine, and I only have 91Y's

FYI, I will deny any of the above.
Re Quite a bit of weight - building materials now and then. Bags of sand and cement,concrete gravel boards,timber etc but not very often and even then only for a short distance.
I think the ride is hard enough with the 91Y,s on it at mo and the handling is fine so think i'll prob stay with the slightly cheaper 91Y's
Old 24th July 2020, 19:39   #5
Bullnose75
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertone View Post
I found a slight improvement when I went from 94 to 91 on my saloon but I would still like to improve a bit more so next tyre change i am opting for 215/50/17 which Rover changed to on the Mk2s.
Gives 10mm less footprint width an extra 6.25mm wall height. Rover must have changed for a reason, they are a bit more expensive so |I would like to think it was for comfort rather than cost.
Worth a try me thinks.
Yeah,i'd thought about those 215/50's but do you think just over 3mm increase in height between road surface contact patch of tyre and wheel rim would make a noticeable difference in comfort ?
Suppose it might do or MG Rover wouldn't have changed them.
Think i'll stay with the 91Y 225/45R17's
Old 24th July 2020, 21:41   #6
rovertone
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Conne SE Auto CDTi

I think its just over 6mm in the wall, time will tell I'll post up a comparison as and when.
As well as trying to soften the ride I am also trying to reduce inside road noise. I have been running G/Year Efficientgrip which are rated fairly quiet from a drive by perspective but are noisier than I would like. I will also go for a more premium tyre.
Got a few mm to go with current tyres, at this years mileage going rate I'm going to have a bit of a wait to find out!
Also 2004 Rover 25 SXi CVT, 1999 Megane Cabriolet and still missing my 800 Fastback
rovertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2020, 22:14   #7
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullnose75 View Post
Re Quite a bit of weight - building materials now and then. Bags of sand and cement,concrete gravel boards,timber etc but not very often and even then only for a short distance.
I think the ride is hard enough with the 91Y,s on it at mo and the handling is fine so think i'll prob stay with the slightly cheaper 91Y's
quantity, one or two of any of those wont be a problem. The roof will take something link 100kg. I think I'd worry more about my upper arms and springs then tyres.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2020, 10:40   #8
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

Quote:
Yeah,i'd thought about those 215/50's but do you think just over 3mm increase in height between road surface contact patch of tyre and wheel rim would make a noticeable difference in comfort ?
Suppose it might do or MG Rover wouldn't have changed them.
Think i'll stay with the 91Y 225/45R17's
225/50/17 made a noticeable difference to my V6 180 Contemporary 75. Smoother and quieter. They now live on another members car and he likes them too. 45’s were firmer and made a bang over bumps and pot holes.
Handling was fine too. I was lucky to get a deal on all 4 tyres fitted in the sale.
Oddly enough I got 4 in a sale with Halfords Auto centre too for my other 75. Most recent good deal was with Formula One Auto Centre.
Old 5th August 2020, 10:06   #9
Bullnose75
Avid contributor

Decided to stay with the 225 45 17's in the end 91Y load rating like before. Not using the Tourer quite as much as I was so couldn't really warrant paying the extra money for the 215 50's.
Anyway,had a set of Uniroyal Rainsport 5's fitted early this morning same size and load rating as the Avons they replaced.
Have already noticed an improvement compared to the Avons !
The Rainsports appear to give a softer ride,less jarring felt inside car over uneven surfaces,and tyre/road noise seems a lot less too. Am running them at same pressure as the Avons were.
Now waiting for some heavy rain to see how they perform on really wet roads.
Old 5th August 2020, 10:55   #10
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Decided to stay with the 225 45 17's in the end 91Y load rating like before. Not using the Tourer quite as much as I was so couldn't really warrant paying the extra money for the 215 50's.
Anyway,had a set of Uniroyal Rainsport 5's fitted early this morning same size and load rating as the Avons they replaced.
Have already noticed an improvement compared to the Avons !
The Rainsports appear to give a softer ride,less jarring felt inside car over uneven surfaces,and tyre/road noise seems a lot less too. Am running them at same pressure as the Avons were.
Now waiting for some heavy rain to see how they perform on really wet roads.
The noisy tyres seem to be the ones with the harder rubber. They tend to last longer but have less grip in the wet.

Your new tyres are a better choice than your previous make.--
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote