Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 17th July 2020, 19:33   #421
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts
Default keep a Check

Do not forget to check the plenums at least once a week, if you don't then this could be your car, a local members car recently.

Spyhole mod in place ?

Rodding tool used note the mud plug on the floor yellow dots.

Couple of litres of water during the latest rainfall we had, so it does not take long for all that fine dust & debris to form a plug.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2020, 19:49   #422
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

We check ours and our customers cars once a year during servicing.
As long as plenum guard fitted & duck bills cut off underneath they won't block that often.

Just pour water down the driver's side bonnet hinge area every month or so and observe it draining underneath both sides.
No tools required just a watering can

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2020, 20:59   #423
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
We check ours and our customers cars once a year during servicing.
Quote:
As long as plenum guard fitted & duck bills cut off underneath they won't block that often.

Just pour water down the driver's side bonnet hinge area every month or so and observe it draining underneath both sides.
No tools required just a watering can
Hi Jules.
Hoping you are keeping well and staying safe, i was in your area yesterday now Wales as opened up again.

If only all members would follow a simple checking procedure, as above the spyhole mod was in place, some members are busy i presume living life & just drive the car, same car when i checked had low coolant & poor coolant cap O-rings.

Topped it up & replaced O-rings with Viton ones, in general it needed all fluids topping up.

Owner was advised to do checks on plenums as above at least once a week and check fluids at the same time, hopefully he will ?

ad altiora tendo.

Old 5th August 2020, 11:50   #424
Seymour

Rover 75

Default Plenum Check

Thank you for the article and advice Artic,

I have been the proud owner of a Rover 75 SE Connoisseur v6 2,5 for at least 3 days so it is definitely something I was not aware of.

(A few days ago I couldn't spell Connoisseur........ now I drive one).

Glad I joined this site.

Thanks
Seymour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2020, 12:03   #425
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour View Post

I have been the proud owner of a Rover 75 SE Connoisseur v6 2,5 for at least 3 days so it is definitely something I was not aware of.

Glad I joined this site.

Thanks

Welcome to these fine cars Seymour !

2nd item to check is the radiator cooling fan.
Select AC and fan should come on straight away.

These are notorious and have a short life.
If found not working .........

Old style 3 speed with no resistor.
(life expectancy of 60 -80k miles)

Later types with resistor fitted can usually be repaired

Check through front grill with torch or see this this link for info

2 Fan types
Note a resistor kit will not fix the old 3 speed type with no resistor

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=68336

DIY test here
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=35567

I have all eventualities in stock.

Treat yourself to an upgraded kit
Uprated longlife Revotec cooling fan kit
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=189409

Jules

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2020, 12:12   #426
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour View Post

Glad I joined this site.

Thanks
Hi Christopher.
Welcome to the club, you will find all the knowledge here to help keep your R75 in good health and quite a lot of the jobs you can do yourself with the know how from here.

There will be some areas of the forum you will not reach until you subscribe which is voluntary, enjoy and ask as many questions as you like i am sure they will get answered asap. cheers Arctic.

ad altiora tendo.

Old 23rd August 2020, 17:08   #427
GIBSON

Rover 75 Saloon

Hi Arctic,

Just finished a plenum check was nice and dry this time. (On the contrary to the previous check when the drain was blocked..)

I noticed however that the inner drain tubes are missing on both sides of my car. Should I be worried about this and consider getting some new or used ones?

Reason I noticed is because I am currently replacing the driverside SRS sensor underneath the carpet of my 75. (Mine is a LHD model.) Sensor was completely corroded and the foam underneath the carpet was wet. So I started looking for the source of water ingress.
While taking the old sensor out I noticed the "flooring" (looks like some kind of glued on plastic?) had some signs of superficial cracking and a hole at the rear seat area. Sealed the hole up with some silicone sealant and treated the entire flooring surface with liquid rubber just to make sure...

However I'm not convinced the flooring was the main source of water.. (I noticed after a rainfall water was coming from the front of the car downwards to the rear. I say downwards because my car is parked on a slope with the front of the car being on the high side.)

Whilst looking around on this nice forum I noticed the scuttle plugs could be the culprit as well, so I went ahead and sealed around them with some sealant just to be sure. Seeing the inner drain tubes mentioned here I wonder if these could have anything to do with my issue?
Maybe you have any other tips?

Thanks in advance!
GIBSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2020, 12:04   #428
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIBSON View Post
Hi Arctic,

Just finished a plenum check was nice and dry this time. (On the contrary to the previous check when the drain was blocked..)

I noticed however that the inner drain tubes are missing on both sides of my car. Should I be worried about this and consider getting some new or used ones?

Reason I noticed is because I am currently replacing the driverside SRS sensor underneath the carpet of my 75. (Mine is a LHD model.) Sensor was completely corroded and the foam underneath the carpet was wet. So I started looking for the source of water ingress.
While taking the old sensor out I noticed the "flooring" (looks like some kind of glued on plastic?) had some signs of superficial cracking and a hole at the rear seat area. Sealed the hole up with some silicone sealant and treated the entire flooring surface with liquid rubber just to make sure...

However I'm not convinced the flooring was the main source of water.. (I noticed after a rainfall water was coming from the front of the car downwards to the rear. I say downwards because my car is parked on a slope with the front of the car being on the high side.)

Whilst looking around on this nice forum I noticed the scuttle plugs could be the culprit as well, so I went ahead and sealed around them with some sealant just to be sure. Seeing the inner drain tubes mentioned here I wonder if these could have anything to do with my issue?
Maybe you have any other tips?

Thanks in advance!
You should post your questions in the technical forum and not here.--

Otherwise folk looking for answers to their plenum problems have to wade through lots of non relevant posts to find what they want.

Some of the old hands are a bit guilty of posting in here too.-----
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2020, 16:50   #429
GIBSON

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
You should post your questions in the technical forum and not here.--

Otherwise folk looking for answers to their plenum problems have to wade through lots of non relevant posts to find what they want.

Some of the old hands are a bit guilty of posting in here too.-----
Hi Colvert,

You're right. Suppose that's how this thread ended up in a 43-pager :-)

Anyhow, I did find out the source of the leak. My 75 was afterfitted with an LPG installation. Apparently whomever installed it one day thought it was a good idea to pass the control button wiring of the lpg kit through the plenum to below the dash on the driver side. I suppose the hole he used is one of those mentioned that should have been fitted with a rubber bung originally (clearly was a factory made hole, even had a hole foreseen in the plastic cover beneath the dash). Man in questioned decided to seal it all up with an inefficiently supplied plug of silicone kit. Remainder you can guess from there on..
GIBSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2020, 19:48   #430
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIBSON View Post
Hi Arctic,

Quote:
Hi Jens.
When you sat inner drain tubes i presume you mean the ones in the upper wing area, if they are missing then it is up to you personally to replace then if you so wish, i would.

Whilst looking around on this nice forum I noticed the scuttle plugs could be the culprit as well, so I went ahead and sealed around them with some sealant just to be sure.
Quote:
Seeing the inner drain tubes mentioned here I wonder if these could have anything to do with my issue?
Maybe you have any other tips
?

Thanks in advance!
If you are referring to the sunroof drains then that is a different story, and they would need to be replaced asap. ? link below about sunroof drains.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=118622

ad altiora tendo.