Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th April 2012, 20:44   #1
trebor
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE & MG ZT Saloon 190

Thanked 1,877 Times in 885 Posts
Default NGN call scam charges - HELP !

Has anyone any experience of call charges appearing on their bills that they haven't made , or does *anyone out there work for a telecoms company and could give me some advice please ?

I checked my Sky bill on line tonight as it is higher than normal only to find lots of calls to a company called Energis , these are classed as NGN calls and are generally only for a few seconds at a time sometimes in the early hours of the morning, some are for no charge whatsoever others up to 36p but as there are lots of these entries on the itemised bill then it increases the overall bill and they are not the only telecon companies with NGN calls on my bill but they are by far the most frequent

I also have lots of calls to destinations I or my family have no connection with whatsoever and although I appreciate I can't remember every call we make there are several calls to Ireland which are just a mistake and not mine.

Anyway back to the NGN calls , I have been on the Sky forums tonight and others have had the same problems but it doesn't appear that Sky have refunded any money for these calls, I have dialled the number and it sounds as though it is dialling a fax. Sky say that house alarms connected to the telephone network can cause this but I don't have one of that type

I don't normally check my phone bills but have gone back 12 months today and the same calls have been on my bills for at least 12 months

So tomorrow I will phone Sky but I expect a fight and the usual " maybe someone else in the house has made the calls etc etc"*

If anyone has any experience of this or any advice for me it would be much appreciated

Robs Car Gallery

Coven near Wolverhampton WV9

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)

Last edited by trebor; 5th April 2012 at 21:39..
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2012, 21:33   #2
ZedTeeTee
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Do you have your Sky box connected to your phone line by any chance?
ZedTeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2012, 21:40   #3
trebor
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mofo View Post
Do you have your Sky box connected to your phone line by any chance?
I am not at home at the moment but will check when I get back , I don't think so though as I remember the engineer not insisting on it , what would happen if I did ?

Robs Car Gallery

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)
Old 5th April 2012, 21:45   #4
ZedTeeTee
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor View Post
I am not at home at the moment but will check when I get back , I don't think so though as I remember the engineer not insisting on it , what would happen if I did ?
I've been having a quick look, I seem to remember something about the box and interactive games or phoning home or similar - bit hazy about it to be honest, it just rings a bell.

Incidentally, I have Sky, and have always had the telephone line unplugged from the Sky box, never had any issue with charges like this.
Old 6th April 2012, 14:20   #5
trebor
This is my second home

Phoned Sky today and turns out the calls marked " Energis " all relate to an old BT alarm system I have which is still dialling out even though the subscription was cancelled a few years back !

So not Sky's fault at all as it happens

Robs Car Gallery

Old 6th April 2012, 14:39   #6
ZedTeeTee
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor View Post
Phoned Sky today and turns out the calls marked " Energis " all relate to an old BT alarm system I have which is still dialling out even though the subscription was cancelled a few years back !

So not Sky's fault at all as it happens
Glad to hear you got to the bottom of it
Old 6th April 2012, 14:54   #7
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mofo View Post
Incidentally, I have Sky, and have always had the telephone line unplugged from the Sky box, never had any issue with charges like this.
Same as us - the only time I plug back in is on the rare occasion we might have a Pay Per View movie.....