Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > V8 Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 27th December 2020, 22:07   #1
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Default Front nearside damper sudden fail.

I had the fatal thought the V8 was doing rather well. On her original suspension with no problems.....until last week when something gave and then an ominous scraping noise from the front.
Finally got a chance to take a look today and the lower spring support shelf on the nearside damper had failed with the rubber corrugated boot split wide open. Rather glad I didn't limp anywhere or the tyre would have been wrecked! Checked the price on Rimmers ( yikes!) Found lower on the Two-Sixties but delivery in March (which is too late) . My search on DMGRS didn't find a V8 damper. Looks like it's going to cost to do it right
I'm thinking I should do both dampers on the front at the same time. The springs and top mounts look OK, but they're also 15 years old, so should I add two new springs, new top mounts etc and bump up the price by another £320 or risk re-fitting the old parts?
I've never tackled suspension, but I'm game with the right spring compressor and pointers. Looking for advice and guidance from those who've been there before.
Also, has anyone tried slightly softer or dual rate springs? Many thanks.
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2020, 00:17   #2
Ian G
This is my second home

Small

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmk View Post
I had the fatal thought the V8 was doing rather well. On her original suspension with no problems.....until last week when something gave and then an ominous scraping noise from the front.
Finally got a chance to take a look today and the lower spring support shelf on the nearside damper had failed with the rubber corrugated boot split wide open. Rather glad I didn't limp anywhere or the tyre would have been wrecked! Checked the price on Rimmers ( yikes!) Found lower on the Two-Sixties but delivery in March (which is too late) . My search on DMGRS didn't find a V8 damper. Looks like it's going to cost to do it right
I'm thinking I should do both dampers on the front at the same time. The springs and top mounts look OK, but they're also 15 years old, so should I add two new springs, new top mounts etc and bump up the price by another £320 or risk re-fitting the old parts?
I've never tackled suspension, but I'm game with the right spring compressor and pointers. Looking for advice and guidance from those who've been there before.
Also, has anyone tried slightly softer or dual rate springs? Many thanks.
Have a chat with Bob he's had the same issue with his V8. Thread here about it....https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=305970
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2020, 09:31   #3
DeeJ
Avid contributor

Rover 75 V8

Pretty much every 260/Rover 75 V8 has had, or will soon have, the same problem. The Two-Sixties have sold hundreds already as you may know, but they have them made in batches for cost reasons.

I wouldn't worry too much about not doing the springs at the same time as the dampers, since taking the strut leg out and re-fitting is a piece of cake on the 260's. Had both of mine done within an hour. Wouldn't mess around with spring rates if I were you, since the standard ones are available. Top mount/bearings are same as the FWD ZT/R75.
Just remove the 3 top mount nuts and the two lower fitting nuts and bolts and it's free to come out as an assembly. You could remove the damper only by removing the big top nut instead of the rubber mount ones if you want. Mine did not even need spring compressors to remove them from the strut leg; the shaft stroke was enough to release compression on the spring. Don't try that on a FWD ZT!

Last edited by DeeJ; 28th December 2020 at 11:00..
DeeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2020, 10:55   #4
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeJ View Post
Pretty much every 260/Rover 75 V8 has had, or will soon have, the same problem. The Two-Sixties have sold hundreds already as you may know, but they have them made in batches for cost reasons.

I wouldn't worry too much about not doing the springs at the same time as the dampers, since taking the strut leg out and re-fitting is a piece of cake on the 260's. Had both of mine done within an hour. Wouldn't mess around with spring rates if I were you, since the standard ones are available. Top mount/bearings are same as the FWD ZT/R75.
Just remove the 3 top mount bolts and the two lower fitting nuts and bolts and it's free to come out as an assembly. You could remove the damper only by removing the big top nut instead of the rubber mount ones if you want. Mine did not even need spring compressors to remove them from the strut leg; the shaft stroke was enough to release compression on the spring. Don't try that on a FWD ZT!
That's really useful info for me being a newbie at this job. I was worried about how much tension was left on the spring with the lower support being so knackered. Much appreciated info.
Old 28th December 2020, 11:45   #5
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

My offside one collapsed. Garage said that the other side was also about to go. So I swallowed the bullet I had both replaced via Rimmers. Left the springs and top mounts alone. 16 years old with just 65,000 on the clock..

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2020, 12:22   #6
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
Have a chat with Bob he's had the same issue with his V8. Thread here about it....https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=305970
I do indeed have the identical fault that snookered Bob on the A388 . I've done less than 200miles since my MOT and count myself very fortunate the lower spring mount on the damper collapsed on the drive. Two minutes later and I would have been travelling at pace on the A30 (also 69.9mph lol Bob). All V8 owners who haven't looked at the front damper spring mounts should definitely get them checked carefully with the wheels off. I had no warning although I did hit a pothole around a hundred yards before the house the night before. Only doing 20mph at a junction so I thought nothing of it. That pothole may have been the final straw after 70k and 15 years.
Old 28th December 2020, 14:35   #7
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

Bullet bitten and order placed for two front dampers with Rimmers. ouch!
Will post how I get on.
Old 28th December 2020, 18:56   #8
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

Playing with Tapatalk. Can’t see how to reduce photo size for forum yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 28th December 2020, 19:11   #9
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmk View Post
Bullet bitten and order placed for two front dampers with Rimmers. ouch!
Will post how I get on.
I hope you asked them for a discount, I did when I ordered mine for my old V8 and they knocked over £100 off
Old 28th December 2020, 21:50   #10
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
I hope you asked them for a discount, I did when I ordered mine for my old V8 and they knocked over £100 off
Kicking myself for not asking