Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st March 2015, 12:55   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default insuring a remapped cdt

Wanting to have my 116 BHP CDT remapped to 160BHP I thought as it was insurance renewal time I'd ring around to see what I can do. In reality I got the wife to do it. My 75 CDT is part of a multi car policy of 4 cars. Rover 25 1.4 driven by 23 year old Female, X reg Vauxhall Corsa 1.0L driven by 21 year old, 52 plate 2.0L Honda Accord and the 75 driven by 52 year old male and 51 year old female. Both the older adults can drive the children cars but the children can only drive their own. Price £760.91. The 75 being £179.60 with synergy, they wont insure for a remap. 1 non fault accident in past 5 years for the 52 year old male, none for anyone else, no convictions for anyone

Trying to insure all 4 cars in one policy elsewhere has been a nightmare, in fact it is not practical. Adrian flux were over £100 more just for the 75 and it did not matter if synergy or remap, that was the same price. In total if I take my 75 to Adrian flux and the 3 other cars stay where they are it is about £200 more expensive.

No I wont have the remap done and omit to declare.

Willing to pay some more to have the 75 covered after a remap but pushing all the insurances up by about £200 is a bit much.

Need a re think. wife says she feels drained trying to get a decent quote.
I best make her a cup of tea to make up to her

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2015, 13:54   #2
Roger Dalton
Banned

75 Club

Why would you notify the insurance? I don't know much about this but my understanding is that to have a remap there is nothing done physically to the car so if you did have an accident there would be nothing for an investigator to see.
Roger Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2015, 14:04   #3
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

What would you do if you had bought the 75 and unbeknown to you but suspect it already had the 160 remap??would you get it checked on a T4 and then tell the insurance company or have it put back to standard 116/135 BHP

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2015, 14:15   #4
Jordan Apex
This is my second home

Jaguar XFR 2011MY

To be honest the only way you were going to get a reasonable quote was to do what you did with Adrian Flux; remove the 75 and insure it separately to the other 3. Maybe try a couple of more insurers for the 75 separately after having a break
Jordan Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2015, 15:42   #5
rosephus
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 2.0 CDTi 135+

Oh the old should I declare my 160 remap debate again! In short-term its up to you. Personally I haven't and wont because its impossible for insurers to tell when the remap was done so they can't prove you did it and not the previous owner.

Some people will come along soon with scare stories no doubt.
rosephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2015, 15:48   #6
Jordan Apex
This is my second home

Jaguar XFR 2011MY

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosephus View Post
Oh the old should I declare my 160 remap debate again! In short-term its up to you. Personally I haven't and wont because its impossible for insurers to tell when the remap was done so they can't prove you did it and not the previous owner.

There was no debate, it was clearly stated in the first post that they will declare it, just looking for solutions to the problem of insuring it with their current situation...
Jordan Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2015, 16:39   #7
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

I'm now with admiral and have declared all mods including re-map on the diesel with no problem at all. And with the multi car policy I saved well over £100.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2015, 16:53   #8
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:

this is not a shall I declares a remap. if I were to be sarcastic and confrontational I would ask what part of "No I wont have the remap done and omit to declare. " don't you understand?

fortunately this is a friendly forum and confrontation and sarcasm are not the way to go.

my insurance company already have the cars details and so they have it documented as a 116BHP.

In short, if you have a remap modification done to your car and do not declare it, you are at risk of the insurance company not paying out in the event of a claim, plain and simple.

my choice is simple, have the remap done and pay extra, or don't have the remap done and don't pay the extra.

I reiterate, if I have the remap done, I will declare it as I have done with all my other mods.

macafee2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
I'm now with admiral and have declared all mods including re-map on the diesel with no problem at all. And with the multi car policy I saved well over £100.
admiral wont insure my remap. did you do 116 to 160 or 131 to 160?
it is the % increase that's the problem not the actual 160 BHP.

131 to 160 I think they will indeed cover

macafee2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dalton View Post
Why would you notify the insurance? I don't know much about this but my understanding is that to have a remap there is nothing done physically to the car so if you did have an accident there would be nothing for an investigator to see.
Because it is the right thing to do.

macafee2

Last edited by Dragrad; 11th July 2015 at 23:40.. Reason: Consecutive posts - Use the edit ;-)
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2015, 09:55   #9
operamagorum
Loves to post

BMW 330i Touring

Default Insurance Quotes with remap

Hi Guys. I've just finished searching for insurance quotes for my 75 CDT tourer
115bhp, with professional remap. The quotes varied enormously, but I finally arrived at Prestige 0800 440 2482 who quoted me £379.95 fully comp, with all the usual bells and whistles. I'm 66, retired, with a clean licence and 1 accident in the last 5 years and 1 ban (totting up) within the last 10 years. I have 3yrs NCB. I didn't ask about Synergy 2a. Hope this helps
operamagorum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2015, 11:18   #10
cb750chris
Trader

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:

Sorry, but if you use a T4, you can tell what date the ECU was told it was programmed (But the T4 operator could change the date on the laptop before reprogramming to suggets an alternative remap date....)

Anyway, back to the original subject - If you can't get insurance for the 116--> 160 remap, have you thought about a 131 remap - a bit more power, but potentially more insurable.

Replacement keys programmed / supplied / cut

Diesel 135 upgrade available

IPK virginisation and T4 matching available

Sorry, due to a big change in home circumstances, I am unable to do any large jobs at present, but can still offer evening time diagnostics.
cb750chris is offline   Reply With Quote